33 Years and Counting for a Franchise QB

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Long Time Jet Fan, Mar 26, 2009.

1. SyracuseJet

SyracuseJet Well-Known Member

Remove Warner and Delhomme and I'd agree.

2. TampaBayJetsFan85

They may not be future franchise QB's as of right now because of their age but the fact of the matter is this...Warner was one hell of a QB with the Rams and just made the SB with the Cards and Delhomme has held the fort down for years out in Carolina.

3. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

Cry me a fucking river. I could REALLY give a shit less about a prima dona QB. Give me a hard hitting fucking defense that is fun to watch every Sunday. A defense that gets us the ball back and field position. I want this vicious defense Scott talked about sooo fucking bad my mouth is watering for it.

We already have a strong o-line, and I don't care what anyone says, Jones is heart and he can carry a football. Run, run, run, run, run, run, run, maybe playaction, run, run, run.

Is the Jet organization only concerned with fucking offense that's all you guys ever talk about. For the love of God we almost have the pieces for an elite defense. I want twenty more linebackers before I want a franchise QB. and fifty more before Cutler.

4. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Warner is a two time MVP, the dude is a franchise QB. When he was with the rams he was one of the best QBs to play the game and is a near HOF.

Delhomme is a franchise QB as well, but they are both on the downside of their QBs. Their production in the past cannot be ignored.

5. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

this isn't the 50s... that doesn't work anymore.

6. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

Obviously we're gonna pass, but I think the focus should be on our Defense and the running attack. Those are our strengths. After we build on this we can work on the passing attack.

It does no good to keep crying about a QB we aren't gonna have under center this year. Clemens or Ratliff will be able to get the job done just fine.

The best part about our QB's right now, they want to play, they want to prove themselves.

Anyway, what's one more season without a ligit passing attack. (Favre would've been ligit if he didn't throw 33 INts or whatever)

Finally we may have a defense again. That would be more special to me.

7. Chrisp22

Chrisp22 Active Member

Franchise defenses have cool nicknames. Sack Exchange, Purple People Eaters, Steel Curtain, etc.

All we need is a cool nickname and we are set! :)

8. TampaBayJetsFan85

I'm a HUGE fan of a dominating Defense and really feel that Defense Wins Championships and thats the reason why my screen name over @ JN,com was "DefenseWinsChampionships" and I also feel we have some GREAT defensive players such as Revis, Rhodes, Jenkins and Harris. I feel we have some VERRY GOOD/Solid players in Scott, Pace, Sheppard and Ellis along with some young potential in Gholston, Lowery and Elam and I'm thinking the addition of Leonard can bring us some great deph @ the safety position (I look for Elam to walk away as the starter)

All in all...This Defense, with Rex Ryan is ready to dominate and win us some games and I wont be shocked if this turns out to be a top 5 Defense because the talent is ALREADY there (Before the draft)

Now...I would love to go Defense @ 17...Maybe draft a top DE but you know what? If we plan on going with Kellen or Ratliff as the starter, we need to go WR to help out of future QB of 2009. Put it this way...Our Offense needs alot more help than our D as of right now and thats why we should go Offense with our first two-three picks and focus on deph for the O-Lines and D-Lines the rest of the way.

9. TampaBayJetsFan85

A Rex Ryan Defense should go by the name of..."GangGreen" Because I have a feeling those boys in Green will be doing a lot of Gang tackling the next couple of years.

10. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

We have to stop talking about the Quarterback like he can will something to happen.

Yeah the Ravens have had a franchise D for some time now...although that may be changing from this point on.

The Pats had a franchise D throughout their SB run.

It involves keeping a unit together for a number of years and ensuring that you have talented depth to fill in if a guy leaves via FA. It means having a system that works and is adaptable to players' abilities.

Having a franchise QB is no golden ticket. You build the team over time and put the best players in every spot along the way. This does not necessarily mean having a Curtis Martin at RB or a Peyton Manning at QB.

People say we have to go get a franchise QB as if it is something you can just do at will. Let's get real here. Could Tom Brady be the player he is on another team? Would Peyton Manning be the guy he is if he's been introduced to the league the way David Carr was?

People fail to consider so many variables that the discussion of this franchise QB concept is utterly ridiculous. The phrase itself is ridiculous.

You know what we need? We need a group of players and coaches that give 100% of themselves to football and are put in positions that will maximize the effectiveness of that 100%. Let's get that, then decide what the team "needs".

11. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Something tells me this thread will also turn into a Cutler thread...

12. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

As it's been pointed out, we'll never all agree on the definition of "franchise QB". Using the criteria of LTJF we'll only know it after the fact, which makes it nearly impossible.

We've had #1 pick QBs who have had good careers with us and gotten us to the playoffs and/or won games there. Other guys we aquired close enough to their primes that could still be considered franchise QBs.

*Richard Todd, #1 pick, won playoff games, reached AFC Championship game
    *Ken O'Brien, #1 pick, got us to the playoffs three times, played ten years
    *Boomer Esiason, got him on the back nine but was still a franchise QB when we had him
    *Vinny Testeverde, #1 overall pick, took us to the AFC Championship game--if he wasn't a franchise QB then who was?
    *Chad Pennington, #1 pick, got us to the playoffs three times, won twice

So it's been almost one year since we had a "franchise" QB and during that time we had Brett Favre, who even at 39 was a decent QB for most of the season. All you can do is get the guys and take your shots, the Jets have done that throughout their history. Hindsight tells us that only Joe Namath won a Super Bowl, but you don't have the use of hindsight when you're aquiring these guys.

13. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

They can't will it to happen. They're human. But their ability to run a 2 minute drill when the game is on the line is where it counts.

Why because Ryan is now in New York? They have had a top D with 3 different DCs. Its newsome, its Ray Lewis, its a philosophy and culture with the franchise. They now have a QB who can not only play the ball control game but keep defenses honest with a strong arm. Its the best of both worlds.

They have that other guy too, who is the leader and a clutch playmaker.
    You're right. Carson Palmer is the perfect example. Great QB on a shitty team. Same could be said about Cutler as well.

Well the argument that is never brought to the table is the fact that everyone has to do their job, but the QB has to do so much more than everyone else. Its the O Lines job to block for who is behind them. The QBs job entails much more than handing off or throwing a football. He has exponentially more responsibilities than anyone else on and off the field.

No its not. Any player that can survive in this business on one team for 7+ years is a franchise player. That's why there is a franchise tag placed on people. the "Franchise" doesn't just apply to QBs. Ogden was a franchise tackle, Lewis a franchise linebacker, Barry Sanders a franchise RB.

well I think the Jets have the CS that will motivate the players and get the most out of them. And in terms of the "needs" - its pretty clear cut.

14. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

All the drafted 1st round QBs (and the Brooklyn guy, who was #1 overall) got the Jets to the playoffs... fascinating trend.

that's why i don't get why people are so scared to take a QB in the 1st round when its worked for the Jets every time they've done it. Its given them hope in January.

15. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

The connotation is ridiculous. I am not saying that being an effective player for a number of consecutive seasons should not earn you that title.

It's the whole messianic association that people make....

They are great players to have on your team. They will undoubtedly help. But having one at QB guarantees you nothing if the solitary goal is a championship.

16. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

That i agree with, it only increases the odds.

17. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

There's also a million first round QBs who have set franchises back years, too, just not the Jets. Relatively speaking we've done well in that regard, saved the colossal busts for other positions. Just because you take a guy in the first round doesn't mean he's going to be good, it just means the real good ones usually go in the first round. Boomer was a #2, Tom Brady and Joe Montana much lower, 6th round I want to say?

18. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

That was the Jets in 2006. That got WC-round exit in the playoffs. That team then went 4-12 because of lack of talent and since then practically the entire roster has been overturned. I believe in the team concept, but a QB has the ability to impact the game at least twice as much as anyone else on the field.

Yes there are many variables, especially at QB, but it isn't like individual talent, ability, skill and intangibles are not part of that equation. If David Carr was put in the same position of P.Manning (who went 3-13 his rookie year by the way) do you think he'd be on his way to Canton? I don't.

19. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Indeed. I hope the Jets luck continues. I Montana was a 3rd rounder, 82nd overall.

#39 NDmick, Mar 26, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  20. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

You forgot Drew Brees. He was the Offensive Player of the Year in 2008.
    You also forgot Philip Rivers.
    Matt Ryan is certainly a franchise quarterback. Joe Flacco and Aaron Rodgers have to be considered franchise quarterbacks, as well.