33 Years and Counting for a Franchise QB

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Long Time Jet Fan, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Long Time Jet Fan

Long Time Jet Fan New Member

To begin this discussion lets define a franchise QB as an elite player you can build a franchise around for the foreseeable future. By this defintion the Jets have had one franchise QB in their history and his tenure ended in 1976. Joe Namath was a franchise QB, Joe Montana was a franchise QB, Steve Young was a franchise QB, Peyton Manning is a franchise QB, and Tom Brady is franchise QB. By the same token Eli Manning is not a franchise QB, Tony Romo is not a franchise QB, and Kelen Clemens is not a franchise QB because they are not elite players.

While many teams have won Super Bowls without a franchise QB, it's a lot easier with one, or at least one that comes close. Wouldn't it be nice not have to worry about who's going to man the position for the next 5-10 years? Besides Namath, the only Jet QBs who were consistent factors on the team for more than a few years were Richard Todd and Ken O'Brien. While both were good, neither were eilte and hence not franchise QBs. Man, at this point I'd kill for a Ken O'Brien type player.

The point of this post is that if the Jets think they have a potential franchise QB on the roster than they're set. If they are not certain they need to draft one if they think a guy available to them can be a franchise QB. This wait until next year thing gets old. When the Jets got Favre last year and I said it would set them back long-term at the QB position most posters said it was still worth it. Now we might have a shot at a good QB and people are saying wait until next year and draft from that crop. Well who knows what happens in a year. If you can get a franchise QB now, get one. If not then wait; but wait wait wait is not the answer. Please Jets, as soon as possible, get a QB we can all root for for the next five years and beyond.

2. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

If your definition of a franchise QB only includes HOFers than not many teams have had more than 1 franchise QB.

3. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

So which QB(s) in the upcoming draft do you think will be a franchise QB? I have no idea, I don't follow college football to close at all.

4. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

None.

Could be nice players, but I honestly don't see a "can't miss" in this group.

5. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Mark Sanchez...franchise qb? that does not sound right at all

Stafford will also be a decent qb i think..but nothing more

6. Long Time Jet Fan

I don't know either. I've only see highlight reels for the most part and those are pretty meaningless. The one thing I do like about Sanchez is that he appears to be able to throw on the run moving either way, which I think is a nice attribute to have. What I'm hoping is that the Jets brass has enough knowledge and intuiton to figure out if any of this year's crop has a chance of being a franchise QB, or whether Cutler can be one if he becomes available.

7. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I agree with this 90%. I still think a QB who gives you 8 consistent years of good football but does not make it to the HOF is a franchise QB. A Matt Hasselbeck type of QB is the minimum requirements for a franchise QB. of course sky is the limit when it comes to the best type of franchise QB.

But LTJF has a point, this team needs an unquestioned leader at the most important position in all of sports.

8. Long Time Jet Fan

That is true, and like I said I'd love to settle for someone along the lines of O'Brien. QB is by far the most important position in the game. I just would love the Jets to solidify the position to the point where we know the team has a very good QB without any glaring weaknesses for the foreseeable future.

9. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

Next years class is intriguing.

Bradford, McCoy, Snead, Tebow,

10. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

Ken O'Brien was clearly a franchise QB. True story.

11. TampaBayJetsFan85

Parcells drafted a franchise QB by the name of Chad Pennington. believe it or not, during his Marshall days, Pennington really had a deep ball and the connection with Pennington and Moss couldnt be stopped because Pennington would put the ball on the money with each and every throw.

If not for the injurys to Chad... He could have been one of the best QB's to ever play the game...The man had everything from a solid arm, great accuracy, leadership...a real leader, heart, vision and smarts...Pennington was our franchise QB and it's a shame that he's been hurt in the ways that he's been hurt. I cant stand the Dolphins but I was pulling for Chad last year, he had a great run.

Eli Manning not being elite? Eli IS a franchise QB for the Giants and already has a ring on his finger.

I know where your coming from and thats the reason why im all for drafting Sanchez even though I really like Kellen. I just feel Sanchez can be a special player for years to come.

Good read though, but I wont lie... Pennington was our Franchise QB and it's just a shame that he's been injured

12. tom spicer

tom spicer New Member

The Jets need a QB period teams that win all the time have one & we do not. Draft Sanchez in the 1st round & a RB/WR in the 2nd what ever you dont take in the 2nd get a RB/WR in the 3rd.

#12 tom spicer, Mar 26, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  13. Long Time Jet Fan

I agree with this approach. Not sure the Jets do, but I like it.

As far as next year's QB crop goes are there really any givens? I know Bradford would have been considered a very good prospect, but I'm not sure Tebow and McCoy are anything other than great college QBs. Vince Young anyone? I don't know much about Snead.

If you want to redefine franchise QB as one you can build around for the foreseeable future than that would include a lot more players. Generally though the term franchise player means elite as well.

As far as Eli Manning goes, I don't think he's an elite player. I think he's good, but he's way too inconsistent to be elite at this point. He's not his brother, who IMHO is the best QB of the last 10 years. He doesn't have the most rings, but football is a team game.

14. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

So then how many franchise QBs have there been in NFL history?

Get real.

I'd rather have a franchise D. Let's get over the catch-phrase BS and think about real football for Christ's sake.

15. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

What's a franchise D?

The 2000 Ravens?

There are teams that have had franchise Defenses and have not quite gotten there. Then they get that QB who can make plays in the last minute of the game and be a true leader and all of the sudden they have a dynasty.

The Steelers and Cowher had a franchise D for 13 years, then Big Ben came along and won it all.

16. Docny1975

Docny1975 New Member

A franchise QB is just a QB that can win. Its that simple you don't have to have the greatest arm, the fastest legs, the best vision. All you need to do is be able to lead your team to victory.

Current Franchise QB's Imo:
    Ben Roethlisberger
    Peyton Manning
    Eli Manning
    Tom "Fuckin" Brady
    Jake Delholmme
    Donovan Mcnabb
    Kurt Warner

I agree Pennington was our franchise QB he led us to the playoffs on numerous occasions and the only thing that screwed him was injuries. I agreed with his departure because I didnt think he had anything left. I'm glad he proved me wrong he just didnt have to do it on the fuckin dolphins.

17. Long Time Jet Fan

With all due respect, please read the entire post before commenting. I just gave a definition for discussion purposes. I said in the post I'd love to have someone like Ken O'Brien. You're the one geting hung up on catch-phrase BS.

18. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

Bradford, McCoy and Snead will be the high-class, top rated, QB's in next year's Draft. Not so much for Tim Tebow. He will be a 2nd day pick imo.

19. doug4563

doug4563 Member

I agree. Not all franchise QBs have to be HOFers.

A franchise QB is any proven starter in the NFL that goes into training camp without having to compete to earn his starting spot. If your team brings in new QBs to challenge for the position, then your team doesn't have a franchise QB. Chad was a franchise QB until he got hurt. Whether or not Chad would have been a HOFer is a whole other question.

At this moment, the Jets don't have a franchise QB, however depending on this season it is possible that one of the three guys on the roster today will develop into a franchise QB.

20. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Dude, we have no idea what Clemens or Ratliff can do with a Good O-line and running game, give the fuckers a chance to see what they can prove out there given the right tools to succeed, you never know with all those tools in place we could see a breakout season for Clemens or Ratliff, Clemens certainly has the passion to play this game and I saw that passion when we played the Ravens that year, its all about putting it together, if we trade Clemens and he goes out there and has a nasty season with another team were set back another 10 fucking years, lets build on what we got here, add weapons and see what the guy can do, I bet with off-season training with no crazy trade rumors and adding another weapon on the WR depth Clemens will have a good enough season where we dont see 8 in the box constantly

If all else fails, Jevon Snead for 2010