New York Jets Interested in TE Pettigrew

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NDmick, Mar 26, 2009.

1. yomega80

yomega80 New Member

DHB = Workout Warrior

2. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

Favre was the biggest part of our offense? The same Favre that threw 22 INTs? The same Favre that looked like shit the final 5 games on the year? He sure looked like a stud during the Oakland, Seattle, Bills, Broncos, Dolphins, and 49ers!

Believe what you will, but he didn't "win" many games last year. Perhaps I'd give him props for the Pats game. The Cards got owned by our defense in the 1st half of that game, and they gave the offense short field all first half. And, the game against the Chiefs, it was the Chiefs (plus his picks almost lost it for us)

Coles was average last season. I had this foolio on my fantasy team last year, and he was not good. Let alone carrying an offense. This guy didn't even demand double teams last year. He has EIGHT games under 5 catches, and only 7 TDs (3 of which were against the Cards). Good riddance to Coles anyway, he's a concussion away from retirement.

If those 2 carried our offense last season...We are in HORRIBLE trouble.

BTW- Watch some tape from last season. Defense's were not respecting the pass. Matter of fact, teams were salivating for us to pass over 20 yards.

3. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

we have 1 TE on the roster not counting long snapper Dearth and he can't block. you don't think Ryan wants an solid blocking TE for the running game?

4. NYJ_JD

NYJ_JD Member

rocky i didnt say favre and coles had good seasons.. i said they lead our offense.. who had more recieving TDs than coles.. no one.. cotchery had similar stats last year.. but without a proven WR next to him..

and if you are going to believe that defenses will play the same schemes against a team with brett favre and a team with a QB like the one we are going to have.. dont tell me that you believe that teams played against the run.. because that is ridiculous..

i mean we didnt have a good season last year.. we finished third in our division.. so yeah we were in HORRIBLE trouble.. mainly because of offense was carried by a QB with a 1:1 TD:INT ratio and our #1 reciever not putting up #1 reciever numbers..

5. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

stop embarrassing yourself.

I guess our oline just showed up for their paycheques...they really had nothing to do with TJ's rushing output....it was ALL Favre's doing :rolleyes:

How the hell do you know?? You have absolutely NO CLUE how opposing defenses will treat Ratliff, Clemens or whoever is playing QB for us. Matt Ryan's first pass last season was a bomb to Roddy White for a TD....i bet that defense didn't see that coming from a rookie QB, did they? I wonder if they stacked 8 in a box on the very next play...cause you know...M.Ryan was just a rookie.

Quit trying to be a gypsy and making assinine predictions to reinforce your retarded points of view.

"We're Rebuilding"...:rofl:.....damn kid, you made my day with that one.

I'd much rather watch you dig youself deeper into a realm of embarrassment........post away. :up:

6. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

I like the idea of drafting Pettigrew. Would upgrade our running game, give us another valuable redzone target and fill a need for the next 10 years.

7. TampaBayJetsFan85

Deph is always a great thing in this league but you know what? You dont really need two superstar types of TE's on your roster when the Jets already a potential Gates type of TE in Dustin Keller, this kid can be special for years to come... Why go out and draft a TE like Pettigrew with our 1st pick when we already have a threat in Keller as our starting TE? Unless they plan on moving Keller from a TE to a WR (Not sure how that would work) With Cotchery as the #1, Keller as the #2 with Stucky in the slot?

Also...If Sanchez, Macklin or Harvin is on the board, and we go TE, I'll just put my head down in shame

8. Long Time Jet Fan

Long Time Jet Fan New Member

Actually I rooted for the Jets to win as much as anyone, but the collapse was inevitable. If you've read my posts in the past you'd know I was as positive as the next person during the season, always hoping for the best. But again I've watch football for a long time and you learn something through experience that leads to posts like this:

9. cxhannan

cxhannan New Member

Why would we draft a TE in the first round again? I realize we are going to be a running team, but there are plenty of options later in the draft to fill that need. We need a top flight wide reciever badly, and that is the position we will be drafting. If we were serious about Pettigrew why would we mention it to anyone outside of the Front office.

10. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

yes the track record on recent 1st rounder WRs has been stellar, right?

11. tom spicer

tom spicer New Member

I do not want to go TE we need a QB, WR, RB, DE, NT, CB & OL depth all before we go TE.

12. Long Time Jet Fan

Wow, so you think Favre had nothing to do with Jones' success last year? You think they'll be as concerned with the passing game as they were with Favre and Coles in the lineup? Clemens couldn't beat out Pennington and teams stacked the box with eight players when they both played two years ago. If you play smashmouth football, assuming the Jets are even capable of doing so, teams will stack the box if you don't have a passing game that scares them.

13. Long Time Jet Fan

I agree, there's a much better chance of getting a stud wide reciever in round two or three than in round one. :)

14. mj2sexay

mj2sexay Active Member

No way the Jets go Pettigrew in round 1 with the other pressing needs this team has. If Sanchez is on the board and we take Pettigrew I'll fucking shit a chicken.

15. TampaBayJetsFan85

I just have one question...Can Keller convert into a solid #2 WR? He has the size, hands and speed...Im just not sure about his quickness

16. rockyusmc2003

Sorry bud...They didn't lead anything last season. Can you honestly sit back and say that Brett Favre scared anyone last season? Did he dictate any special coverages? Nope. Did he have defenses refrain from corner blitzes? Nope. The Favre mystique wore off after the first couple of weeks.

The strength of our offense last year was the O-line and our RB's. And they're both coming back.

I do agree that we have holes, and these holes can be a complete detriment to our offense. But, I really think that Schotty knows what he has. Our young QBs know the offense very well, and we maybe pleasantly surprised how that turns out.

We don't have a #1 receiver, but I don't feel we have had a legit #1 in 2 years. This is why a guy like Pettigrew would work out for this offense. We add a double threat TE and it opens this offense to a lot of things. Mainly, an extra blocker, which Rex will be all over. Also, it gives us the ability to move Keller and create mismatches.

As much as I hate taking TE's in the first round (Mitchell, and Brady), I think this plan fits the scheme Rex wants to deploy. LB'ers would have a horrible time covering 2 good TE's! This would also put incredible responsibility on the D-Line, especially when Leon is on the field. Who covers Leon? Who covers Keller? Who covers (in this situation) Pettigrew? And who covers Cotchery? Defenses will have a lot on their plate.

You see my point? We might not have a burner #1, but we would have options. An above average #1, and crazy mismatches! This also makes it simpler on a young QB!

17. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

I never said that...i said there were other factors, like the Oline, that contributed to TJ's success....it wasn't ALL favre. Favre certainly contributed...but wasn't the sole reason.

I have no idea what other teams will be concerned with or not....But i do know they WILL be concerned with not knowing what to expect. Clemens had a year to learn under Favre, plus we have an oline now....Clemens could be a totally different player this year....none of us know for sure....but the possibility is certainly there. Everything is speculation till we see what happens at TC in Aug.

We certainly have holes at the WR, QB and HB positions (provided TJ is cut)....and i never disagreed with that. What i disagreed with...is the notion that we're in "Rebuild mode"....that's fucking stupid. We were 8-3 before Favre got hurt...and the play calling changed. Sure...we collapsed....but so did Denver and Tampa Bay....I don't think they're in full rebuild mode...just need to make some tweaks.

Teams like the chiefs, Rams, Lions....they're rebuilding. We're not. I believe we're tweaking our roster to fill some holes. Our core is intact....just need to add some missing pieces.

**And to stay with the thread topic.....I don't want a TE in the first round.....we need a blocking TE....but we can find someone to fill that role in the later rounds. Pettigrew wouldn't be a wise pick for us at 17.

18. rockyusmc2003

H-Back for sure. This guy is going to be lined up all over the field.

In my opinion, this would be more valuable than becoming a #2.

19. rockyusmc2003

Give them time. Favre didn't scare too many defenses last year.

To be fair...I think our offense in 2006 was a lot shittier on paper than this one! We faired pretty well that season.

20. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

A true WR that runs routes correctly and doesn't do anything wrong. Son of an NFL player who is now ATL WR coach. Ohio State WRs are pretty good players too.