Cutler for pick #17

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by zeike, Mar 16, 2009.

1. fltflo

fltflo Active Member

GUYS

If you have read anything I have written over the last few months you have to know I'm a huge Clemens supporter and would like to see that kid work out.

I was at first against this trade, yet, in retrospect if he could be had for say our 17 this year and our #2 next, I think the Jets would have to make that trade.

This kid has an arm and a half we all saw what he did to our defense last season, he ate us alive....He is young and depending on his health issues could be around for a long time.

My question would be, would McDaniels even consider letting him get to the Jets, after all Billy boy might not want to shake his hand anymore, if he gave the Jets a franchise QB for draft picks.

An would not the Bronco's want more then picks, would the fan base be willing to say give him Washington, or Revis, or Rhodes or say Harris as Denver is going to the 3-4. or a combo there of plus the picks???

Just how much would you guys be will to give up to get Cutler?????

#21 fltflo, Mar 16, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2009
  2. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

From a Front office standpoint...that's not good business. The general consensus is that there isn't a clear cut QB that should go 1st overall in the upcoming draft (Stafford is dropping like a stone). If Denver has done their homework...they should be privy to this.

They could theoretically pick Sanchez with the 17th pick (if he's available)....or go with Chris Simms this year and draft a franchise QB next year.

There are a lot of options for Denver should they swing a deal with us or anybody for that matter. But trading for a #1 overall wouldn't be the greatest idea in a fiscal sense. Unless they have an eye on another player (one of the Tackles or Curry).

3. StreetFighterJet

StreetFighterJet New Member

I don't think the JEts would give up any of those players .. they are too important to what we're doing now. I think the only way we move on Cutler is if we can just part with draft picks and perhaps an OLBer.. since we have a surplus there.

4. StreetFighterJet

StreetFighterJet New Member

Right, I'm not very familiar with Denver's needs right now, so I don't really know what they would be shooting for. If they are happy enough with Simms (wow.. talk about a QB downgrade), then you would be correct. Only time will tell... I assume Cutler will not be in a Denver uniform this season.

5. hendersg

hendersg New Member

Please Get Cutler

6. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

or we get an impact player at 17 to help current Qbs

7. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

What i think is not being taken into consideration here is the fact that every team interested in Cutler knows the Bronco's NEED to move him at this point. The relationship is damaged beyond repair. This is not to say that he would be cut or anything but teams know that Cutler is putting a gun to their heads.

8. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

When people write about Cutler "oh its just a business you need to get over it" or that he has a pissy attitude they don't seem to get that (unless the guy is pure mercenary) its really more of a "relationship relationship" between a player and his team than a business relationship and so when he finds out his "girl" has been flirting with another guy (QB) of course he is going to be unhappy about it - can you imagine sticking with a girl that says "Yeah I was gonna dump you for Scott over there but he's going out with Jenny now so I will stay going out with you" - no - you would just say "fuck you baby" and move over to another chick that actually wants you.

9. NYJ_JD

NYJ_JD Member

hhahaha.. that really funny dude.. great post... o0o wait you're serious.. so obviously ratliffs performance against second string players in pre-season and clemens' season stats.. make you feel comfortable enough to pass on Cutler..

the odds we get him are a lil higher now becuz he actually wants out now.. but still no reason to get excited.. until Rex starts tlkin to denver.. im staying away from cutler trades..

10. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Perfectly put.

11. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

12. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

There is no chance at all of getting him for just the 17th pick but even if we did we would have no money to pay him. There are no more contracts to re-do or high priced people to cut. We might be able to pay him as long as you don't care about keeping Mangold or Washington.

13. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Cutlers contract for '09 and '10 isn't huge. The only way that becomes an issue is if he demands a new contract with a trade.

7/27/2006: Signed a six-year, $47.86 million contract. The deal contains $11 million guaranteed, including a $1.7 million signing bonus.
    2009: $1.035 million (+ $100,000 workout bonus),
    2010: $1.4225 million (+ $4 million roster bonus),
    2011: $1.81 million (+ $12 million roster bonus)
    2012: Free Agent.

45% of the deal's max value is performance incentives. Among them is a $1.95 million escalator for any year of 2006-2010 that he finishes in the top five in any of the NFL's major passing categories, as well as a $4 million bonus for taking 70% of the snaps in 2009. There also is a $500,000 bonus available 2006-2010 for taking 70% of the snaps and either taking 70% of the snaps in a Super Bowl or winning a Super Bowl.

14. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

Earning that title once again... thanks Willie... ya beat me to it

15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Fixed that.

16. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

PLEASE NO WR with the 1st pick, please no. We need OL, DL and LB, we have plenty of young unproven WR's. Take that

17. BADMOO

BADMOO New Member

NO

and because the site tells me my response is too short...

Cutler played well under the Denver system, but while he was hot in the beginning he was game planned against in the second half of the season and did not have the same success.

18. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

We don't even have an extra 5 mil laying around so we would be good for this year only. We are 12 over and 5 has to be set aside for the rookie pool. That leaves 7 and the Jets say they want to re-sign Mangold and Washington after this season. It appears more and more likely there will not be an uncapped year coming up. Not with a new union head and not in this economy. They will make a deal.

19. ny2dave

ny2dave New Member

No, nope

we have other needs to address with that pick. I want to give Clemens and Ratliff a chance.

20. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

if that is all it takes, I think you have to.