Jets to work out J. Freeman

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mambo9, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

SMOKE-SCREEN...I hope.

2. doug4563

doug4563 Active Member

Never saw him play in college so I can't speak to his ability in the NFL. However, from a long term perspective, it doesn't make sense to pick another young QB. The Jets have three young QBs on the roster that have all shown some flashes (at some level) that make the coaching staff think they have a chance.

It makes no sense to bring in a 4th young QB to this team and think that you are going to be able to fully evaluate all four. There just isn't enough time in camp and pre-season games to fully evaluate all of them. If they draft a young QB, do you really see the coaching staff cutting Clemons, Ratliff, '09 draftee, or Ainge without a full evaluation of their talent?

If the Jets want to add a QB, it only makes sense to get a veteran in here until the young guys develop or prove they are total garbage.

3. Green Lantern 80

JETS, JAGUARS TO WORK OUT FREEMAN
    Posted by Aaron Wilson on March 15, 2009, 8:37 a.m.
    The New York Jets are showing a lot of interest in Kansas State’s Josh Freeman, scheduling private workouts and meetings with the big junior quarterback over the next few days, according to Gil Brandt of NFL.com and Jeffrey Martin of the Wichita Eagle and the Kansas City Star.

Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer is scheduled for a chalk talk with Freeman on Monday, and Jets coach Rex Ryan and General Manager Mike Tannenbaum are joining Schottenheimer on Tuesday to put Freeman through his paces.

On March 23, Jacksonville Jaguars quarterbacks coach Mike Shula is set for a private workout with Freeman. Freeman is one of the largest quarterback prospects in recent years at nearly 6′6″ and 252 pounds.

Among the NFL brass who attended Freeman’s Pro Day last week: St. Louis Rams quarterbacks coach Dick Curl, Seattle Seahawks quarterbacks coach Bill Lazor, Minnesota Vikings quarterbacks coach Kevin Rogers, Detroit Lions assistant coach Jeff Horton, and Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterbacks coach Greg Olson.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

4. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Not that it means much but I heard he had a really nice pro day

5. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Well, Ainge should never have been drafted by the Jets. Then he went on to get himself suspended for steroid use. Then the Jets got a new coaching staff. Hopefully, he'll get the heave-ho later this year. I would be all for the Jets drafting a guy in one of the middle rounds, maybe Mike Reilly from Central Washington. I doubt anyone on this board has seen him play, but for what it's worth he looked good at the combine, has a good arm, and seems very mature.

6. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Smoke screen IMHO as well... we move down a bit, take Nicks and gain a 3rd or a high 4th... god that would be great

7. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

Cutler's "decision making" was a big question when he came out though. He threw significantly more intereptions than touchdowns in college as I recall. Yet look at him now.

That said, I don't know enough about Freeman to form an opinion of him either way. My only true opinion is the Jets have 3 young QB's. I'd rather see what any of them is capable of before getting yet another young QB, whether it be Freeman or Sanchez (who I've seen enough to like, but still would prefer we draft for other needs).

8. Long Time Jet Fan

Long Time Jet Fan New Member

This is definitely a smoke screen. They are sending Schottenheimer out on Monday to work with him on plays for a day. Then Ryan and Tannenbaum are coming out to put him through a workout on Tuesday. Tannenbaum is just brilliant. Sends his offensive coordinator on a two-day trip, his head coach on a one-day trip, and himself on a one-day trip to evaluate a quarterback, just to make other teams believe they might draft a QB they have no interest in, given all the incredible studs they currently have at the position on the roster. Go Jets!

#28 Long Time Jet Fan, Mar 15, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  9. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

I don't get it... If this (or another move) is a Smokescreen that people on TGG can spot so easily, how come other teams - professionals - can't spot it and are fooled by it?

10. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

It's not that we spot it... it's just what some of us think it is... I, like some others, don't think we'll be drafting a QB, therefore we think it's a smokescreen.

It's like saying someone is a bust... you give your opinion based on your analysis... no one has an absolute truth.

If the GM of, say, the Buccaneers thinks we might be interested (while we are not) then this will reinforce his doubts and maybe move to trade for our pick.. while if we don't go and work out with him he might not. This is how a smokescreen works...

#30 Mambo9, Mar 15, 2009
  11. Titans

Titans Member

This is no smokescreen the JETS need a QB it's that simple. If they thought Clemens was the answer the Favre fiasco never would have taken place and Ratliff is unproven so why wouldn't they need a QB.

12. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

The Favre fiasco would have happened even if we had God at the QB... it was just to sell PSL...

13. Baumeister

Baumeister Well-Known Member

yeah! Lets pass on all the good QB's like we have done for the past 30 years or so. That will allow us to never have a QB worth a sh*t. Then we as fans can have this conversation for years to come. Freeman is like this years Flacco. Nobody thought Flacco would do shit in the NFL and look at him now.Flacco was on the board for the Jets passed him up. I feel they will do the same with a guy like Freeman. Find a QB tanny bum.

14. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

2nd round, any higher i'd be pissed

15. Long Time Jet Fan

Long Time Jet Fan New Member

Exactly. Someone actually gets it. :wink:

16. southparkfanciz

southparkfanciz Active Member

Good. The way I see it...if he doesn't prove to Rex, and Mike that he's better than Clemens or Ratliff, then the Jets won't draft him. But if he does impress them(which I think he will) then we can draft him and I never have to see Clemens being the starter of the Jets ever again.

17. sunnygs97

sunnygs97 New Member

but guys..... he's black :lol:

18. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

The Jets have had two already. Not sure if either one should be used as a roadmap though.. :)

#38 Cman68, Mar 15, 2009
  19. SyracuseJet

SyracuseJet Well-Known Member

Rotoworld.com

20. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

If we draft Freeman at 17 I will flip a shit. In a bad way.