Absent pass rush demands selection of DE

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GSourJr, Mar 12, 2009.

1. TampaBayJetsFan85

Two thumbs up on that post right there and thats the reason why DE's like Freeney, Jason Taylor, Peppers and J-Abe all wrack up sacks under the 4-3 (Because thats their job, rush the QB)

While DE's under the 3-4 take up blocks for LB's in the 3-4 system such as Merriman, Ware, Porter and Suggs so those OLB'ers can make the sacks (Because thats their job, take up blocks)

#41 TampaBayJetsFan85, Mar 12, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
  2. JETSFAN1290

JETSFAN1290 Banned

Rex Rayan is gonna be creative with the 3-4 defense this year. Basically a pass rushing DE is not the scheme. I see him blitzing more and using Gholston as a monster or rover type LB/DE. The 3-4 is a productive defense when executed properly. League leading sacks from a DE in the 3-4 not happening.

3. jets_fan_in_fishtown

jets_fan_in_fishtown Active Member

lol, owned this thread in the first post

4. ibleedgreen7476

single season sack record is 22.5 (bullshit record or not)

so I'm just gonna say your being optimistic, no harm in that, also Ware plays as a LB not DE. Ellis 8 sacks is respectable for a DE.

I have to think the early rounds of the draft have to go offense, with the latter rounds to defensive depth.

5. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

I remember a post BradwaySux made about the Pats Front 3 and how they caused havoc even without blitzing. That's not to say they racked up sacks - because they didn't - but they were able to collapse pockets and generate pressure with just 3 guys, especially when they knew opposing Offenses were passing.

Obviously, the blitz is where most of the pressure/sacks will come from, but having a DE who is a mismatch when he's in a 1-on-1 is ideal; and there's no reason we shouldn't get one if we can.

6. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Never disputed that... but if he was more disruptive the passrush would be better. We could go on all day; I think Coleman is a JAG.

7. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

gul⋅li⋅ble   Show Spelled Pronunciation [guhl-uh-buhl]

?adjective easily deceived or cheated.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=gullable

8. NYJ_JD

NYJ_JD Member

ok .. yeah sorry i missed this thread today.. half the ppl talkin on this thread are retarded.. to compare a 3-4 OLB to a 3-4 DE in sack numbers is retarded.. .especially when dealing with dallas defense.. basically they ran a 4-3 and just blitz ware every play.. hence his sack numbers.. 3-4 linemen are huge dudes that fill holes and prevent O-linemen from reaching the LBs.. THE PLAYMAKERS.. yeah its great when jenkins hits a gap and gets his backfield tackles.. but thats not his job...

as for the dude that said an average 3-4 NT gets an average of 15 sacks a season.. what!?.. do you watch the NFL.. and the guy that says kris jenkins should get 23 sacks a year becuz hes above average... you do know that would be the sack record..

do we need a DE.. possibly.. would be a bad addition to the team.. but to say we need a DE cause ellis and colemen are incapable to bring pressure and since jenkins isnt breaking sack records every season we aren't getting pressure.. thats stupid..

9. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Lack of pressure is indirectly related to the quality of DE; if one of the DE, at least, cannot take on 2 OL, then that's one extra OL that will neutralize the pass rush. Look at Pats or Steelers defense. ILBs always have two clear lane to the backfield - which Jets ILBs didn't always have. Even the sack bonanza against the Cards featured the rush from the outside prevalently. The ILBs didn't generate much pressure, let alone sacks.

10. -MC-

-MC- Active Member

Whats wrong with being a JAG? Is the entire team suppose to be impact players?

11. The_W

The_W Banned

The stupidity by some posters here is mindblowing... People claiming that the pressure needs to be addressd by only the front 3, and then the others who can't spot the clearest sarcasm... Jesus, do you people honestly think savinoRB2 was serious with his comment about the sack numbers of an NT?

12. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

you need to read it again and ask yourself: is it real?

what are you retarded or something?

13. savinoRB2

savinoRB2 New Member

OR I WAS BEING SARCASTIC:wink:

14. GSourJr

GSourJr New Member

I never mentioned the word "sacks" in my original post.

It's about pressure...the Jets brought it in the first half of the season, and DID NOT in the 2nd half.

The DE in the 3-4 have to do more than stand there...they need to push the pile, and at least one of them should draw a double-team.

It's simple math. If there are no tight ends in the formation, the QB has 5 big guys blocking for him. If Jenkins draws two, and our ends are only drawing one, that leaves at least one big hog to take care of our blitzing LB, a match-up our smaller guy will lose most of the time.

Now you can bring a 2nd backer or a safety, but they can also counter with one or two TEs and blocking backs. We may overload a side and beat them to the punch once in awhile, but bottom line is, at least one of our DE need to be explosive enough to draw a double team, otherwise, it doesn't work.

And right now, we don't have one of those ends.

15. Flyboy

Flyboy Active Member

I agree with GSourJr. Excellent point made.

By the way, when did Mangini initiate the 3-4 anyway? Was it in '06, or '07?

16. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

No but when you can you should upgrade. We can upgrade via draft. Also, when the JAG is one of the older players in the unit.. upgrade.

17. savinoRB2

savinoRB2 New Member

yea, i said the dline have to take on blockers,you need a big NT(jenkins) to occupy the center/guard hence double team and the ends have to cause some disruption in the other offensive lineman, harris or scott will have to take on blockers as well so they can free up everyone else.....

we had a dope pass rush in the beginning because Mangini was blitzing well and hiding his blitz's, after the patriots game(titans game maybe?) everything went downhill, we stayed in a prevent defense and rushed 3...

if we just kept up with the blitz schemes from the first half, it might have been us in the AFC title game?

who knows.....

point is, our pass rush was spectacular at one point this season, i believe number 2....it was our poor head coach that ;consequently, has us thinking we need an upgrade now

i feel, kenyon coleman is a lil hated on since he has no repertoire of rush moves but he is great against the run......Sean ellis did fine, we just need to get depth and have a better rotation....

Mangini had the right idea and can be a great coach, but he really failed with us.....atleast, he brought in a lot of talent

18. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

He installed what looked like a 50/50 4-3/3-4 hybrid in 2006 and then next year it looked like he went more heavily on the 3-4.

19. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I see a lot of people saying that we stopped blitzing. I don't think we did. We stopped being effective when we blitzed. The pass rush fell apart the same time the run D did, and both happened around the same time Jenkins injured his back. He played the last part of the season with a herniated disk.

Our defense went as far as big jenx could take us last year. If we don't have a solid backup for him the same may be true this year. I think Rex is much better at scheming than Sutton/Mangini but at the same time you have to be able to win the battle in the middle. No scheme can overcome players getting outplayed at the point of attack.

20. Flyboy

Flyboy Active Member

That's what I thought. I knew we ran a 4-3 since 2001, which is right after Groh left, but I wasn't sure when Mangini made the change.