Absent pass rush demands selection of DE

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GSourJr, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Phear

Phear New Member

d ware is an outside line backer, not a defensive end.

2. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

Edit: Nevermind

#22 rmagedon, Mar 12, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
  3. Scottso

Scottso Member

With all the free agent signings on defense, I think Brian Schottenheimer is gonna be one pissed off dude if they go defense in round 1.

4. JetsYankeesThrylos

JetsYankeesThrylos Active Member

our DL wasent doing a very good job taking up the oline especially when jenkins was getting worn out, and on top of it our OLB's werent spectacular either, and mangini was never rushing more then four guys anyway, cuz our secondary was sketchy and our inside linebackers werent good in coverage

all and all our pass rush sucked ass, and our DE suck ass at breaking down the OT's and our OLB couldnt make plays and Barton and Thomas sucked

5. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

While I do understand pressure is supposed to come from the LBs in the 34, it wouldn't hurt to get a DE who can somewhat collapse the pocket. Coleman is awful for penetration and is average at best vs the run. You do in fact see the 34 linemen make plays once in a while, it's not unheard of. I'd like a DE in round 1 or 2.

6. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

The best 3-4 DE is Seymour and he's amassed 39 sacks in 111 career games, that's .35 a game or 5.6 per 16 games. That's the best in the game. You're not going to get a high sack total out of 3-4 defensive ends. I agree it's an area I'd like to see talent added to but it's like saying you want you're #5 hitter to be a better bunter. Sure it'd be nice, but that's not really why he's there.

7. DraftaFullBack

DraftaFullBack Active Member

The best 3-4 DE in the league is Aaron Smith

8. jcjet

jcjet Member

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2009/03/new_york_jets_sign_seahawks_dt.html

New York Jets sign DT Howard Green
    by Dave Hutchinson/The Star-Ledger
    Thursday March 12, 2009, 4:56 PM

The Jets signed former Seahawks defensive tackle Howard Green to a one-year contract Thursday.

The Jets have signed defensive tackle Howard Green to a one-year contract. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Green, 6-foot-2, 320 pounds, played the past two seasons with Seattle, finishing with 21 tackles and a sack last season. In 2002, the six-year veteran played in Baltimore under new Jets coach Rex Ryan. The Jets project Green as a backup nose tackle behind Kris Jenkins and may even play the pair together, with Jenkins sliding to defensive end.

Green also played two seasons with the Saints.

9. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

Fair enough. 42 career sacks in 145 games, .31 a game or 4.96 per 16 games played.

10. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

Exactly. That's how I see it.

Everyone needs to forget about sack numbers; it's not about that, it's about the ability of the 3 linemen to eat up blockers and have the ability to collapse the pocket when the house isn't being sent. Pressure can be just as effective as a sack.

Then the opposing Offense really has to worry because not only are they trying to figure IF you're blitzing, but they know that even if you aren't, your DL can still disrupt.

11. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I think someone should create a thread that explains all the positions and roles of each in a 3-4 defense because all too many people have been critical of Kenyon Coleman not putting up big sack totals. It would be nice to see him put up a few here and there, but it's his job to be stout against the run.

Plus didn't one 3-4 DEs, Ellis, lead the the team in sacks this year anyway?

12. The Uniform Bomber

Someone did that, diagrams 'n all.

It's futile, as there will always be people who don't get it.

13. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Clearly we all KNOW 34 DEs don't sack the QB. READ some of the f'n posts.... Coleman doesn't make ANY plays, eating up blockers is the main role of the 34 DE but it's NOT the only role and you do see guys making tackles and collapsing the pocket once in a while.

Do you really think we can't do better at RDE than Kenyon Coleman? Does Coleman even take on double teams with regularity? I know Jenkins sometimes takes on triples, and Ellis is doubled. WTF is Coleman doing over there.

14. The Uniform Bomber

Yeah, you want a DE who, if he gets a chance at a 1-on-1, he's gonna be talented enough to beat that guy. Coleman isn't bad, but he doesn't seem to be that player.

15. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

He meant for a DE in the 3-4.

16. savinoRB2

savinoRB2 New Member

I agree when Kris was getting worn out, they weren't that amazing BUT that's why we sign depth and not waste a first round pick on something that isn't as necessary.....

Our linebacker's can blitz, you would be surprised if we actually ever saw them.....they are horrible at coverage but they can play.....we solved that with scott and getting rid of barton....

we barely rushed four ever, mostly it was the dline rushing/holding up the blocks, and our d backs were horrible cause we ran a prevent 3/4's of the time which is a bitch way of playin defense....

the d's lack of rush was more of mangini's fault then the players, mangini didn't know how to put the players in the position to suceed....

what i've read is that that's ryans specialty....prepare to see an dominant defense......

17. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

As for Coleman, Parcells recommended him...He's become a pretty fair evaluator of talent.

(Come a long way since JJ Syvruud)

And IIRC our defense kicked ass, UNTIL our NT was worn out, which means two things...One he was overplayed early in the season, Two his backups didnt contribute enough, bad coaching, and it was his first year playing that position...

I fail to see how any of those four things continue into this season....

18. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Fair points but you saw everybody EXCEPT Coleman making plays during the start of the year. He faced the least double teams and still wasn't active, I bet if we looked at the tape he didn't even control his gap most of the time. And while I love Parcells, he isn't right every time.

I guess I'm in the minority, but I believe Coleman can be upgraded. We'll agree to disagree.

19. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

What he' saying is that you cant rely on your LB's and DB's to get all the pressure. 3-4 lineman arent supposed to rack up a lot of sacks but they have to do their part. Ellis is an aging player, Jenkins needs a lot of rest to be at his best and Coleman is crap. The Jets D-Line needs work is his point. And he's right.

20. DraftaFullBack

DraftaFullBack Active Member

Of course Coleman could be upgraded, but to say that he's the reason we don't have a consistent pass rush is absurd.