Absent pass rush demands selection of DE

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GSourJr, Mar 12, 2009.

1. GSourJr

GSourJr New Member

I do believe Rex Ryan will manufacture pressure with his schemes, his enthusiasm, and the addition of some of his former players, but I don't believe a consistent pass rush and a sound defense can truly be constructed without bonafide talent along the front line. And right now, the cupboard is nearly bare.

WE NEED ANOTHER NT/DT:
    Yes, Jenkins is a manster, but as he demonstrated last season, we can only count on him for half the game and for half the season. He's simply too old, too heavy to be counted on for 4 quarters of a game or in November and December. If he had someone decent to spell him and spare him, I'm sure the impact would be tremendous.

WE NEED A HIGH-IMPACT 3-4 DE and ANOTHER YOUNG END TO ROTATE IN:
    Ellis is inconsistent and aging. He'd be adequate with a stud playing opposite him and some quality depth behind him to keep him fresh. Kenyon Coleman is NOT the answer on the other side. If we rely exclusively on our LBs and DBs to bring pressure, sooner or later, the defense will eventually get scorched. It's gotta come from the front 3.

The way I see it, I'll say a prayer and choose to believe in our young QBs and young WRs. At least there's potential there and a player to occupy every role.

WE KNOW there's nothing of significance along the D-line after Jenkins. I would use the 2009 draft to finish off a defense that is starting to look impressive 3 yards behind the line of scrimmage, but is still unremarkable upfront, which is where a good unit starts.

2. DraftaFullBack

DraftaFullBack Active Member

You don't seem to understand how a 3-4 defense works.

3. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Whats manster?

4. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Dude, 3-4 nose tackles should average at least 15 sacks a season.

5. Dunlaing

Dunlaing New Member

Only Bruce Smith was ever a really productive pass rusher from the DE spot in the 3-4. Otherwise, it's always been DEs in the 4-3 and LBs in the 3-4 that are the primary pass rushers.

6. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

Took the words right out of my mouth.

7. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

Really?

So you don't think it's a good idea to have a LDE who can get a 1 on 1 with a RT because Jenkins takes a double team from the Centre and Right Guard?

That's a bad idea in the 3-4?

It's a bad idea to get a DE who takes 2 people to block when you already have a Nt who takes 2 people to block so that you can send LBs blitzing on that side with only a RB left?

Good thing you backed up your point.

8. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

The only problem with what you're saying is the OP is saying the front 3 has to get pressure.

9. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

A 3-4 DE is not supposed to get a lot of sacks. Ellis actually led the league in sacks (for a 3-4 DE) last season I believe, so don't expect a different DE to get more pressure than that...

#9 Steve032, Mar 12, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
  10. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Ellis didn't lead the league in sacks. He had 8...while DeMarcus Ware had 20.

11. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Absent minded OP needs lesson in 3-4 Defensive line play.

12. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

Someone has no clue how the 3-4 works and/or Ellis' contribution on defense last year.

Edit: Make that 2 people.

I'm not even gonna try...

13. KSJets

KSJets New Member

He meant led the league in sacks...for a 3-4 DE.

14. bull_trout_jet

bull_trout_jet New Member

Ellis led the league in being a joke, except against the bills when he got lucky. He's definitely not a manster

15. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

Yes, sorry I wasn't more specific.

16. Long Time Jet Fan

Long Time Jet Fan New Member

From Michael Smith of ESPN. My emphasis. Basically pressure on the QB from a 3-4 defense end is an added benefit and a real luxury.

17. tom spicer

tom spicer New Member

All of our starting LB'S & secondary are 28 or younger all of our D line is 30 or over we need a DE & a NT (when Jenkins got hurt/worn down our run D stunk at the end of the year) Jackson in the 1st round he is a pure 3-4 DE or Brace in the 2nd round at NT (there is no way Raji falls to us) if we go D.

18. savinoRB2

savinoRB2 New Member

15 is for an average NT, Kris will atleast hit 23

19. savinoRB2

savinoRB2 New Member

i swear people drive me crazy with this issue......not many teams have a consistent pass rush when you rush three....its fuckin common sense.....

the dline is suppose to take up the oline and give the linebackers the freedom to make plays. thats the beauty of the 3-4....some of us; honestly, just repeat ourselves

20. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

http://forums.theganggreen.com/showthread.php?t=43477

We just signed a vet in Howard Green. He can give Ryan the flexibility at any moment to switch from a 3-4 to a 4-3. He's also played NT so he can move Jenkins around. If this signing pays off any dividends we'll have an answer for the short-run.

This is actually starting to excite me. Bart Scott can play inside AND outside, so there's a lot of things we can do on defense this year. I'm looking forward to see this finished product.