Chansi Stuckey was compared to Wes Welker.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Rod_2, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

It's not a crazy comparison - from what I've seen of him it seems that he might have a pretty similar skill set to Welker, but as several others said, rather premature based on actual play. If he does pan out to be a Welker-like receiver, more power to us.

2. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I think we've seen enough to know he's not a burner, hence the love here for Clowney, who's an even bigger unknown.

Someone mentioned Keller's emergence as in effect making Stuckey less of a factor. Meaning the #3 wideout does not get in on as many plays when Keller is in there to go out for passes, either out of a double TE set or leaving the FB in there. But then add in the interest in enlarging the running game. Between Keller and more running plays, how is the team going to use Stuckey more?

Use sets with a single back and one TE - can the OL hold the blocks?

Leave Keller in to block - but that kind of defeats the purpose of having him, doesn't it? And Keller is not a great blocker, yet anyway.

Put Stuckey in to replace Coles, outside and not at #3 - here's the real problem. Stuckey is not a burner, so putting him in with Cotch does not give the receivers a downfield threat.

The presence of Keller and the interest in expanding the running game would in fact be better served by picking up a deep threat receiver than on trying to get the ball to Stuckey significantly more than he has been getting it. Again, hence the interest in Clowney, but I am reluctant to count on him to fill that need.

3. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Okay, that's significant. I stand corrected, although he's still a very crafty player in the middle. But yeah, having Moss on the other side is a magnet.

All the more reason why we need to draft a big-target WR. Then Stuckey could easily fill that Weasely Welker role for us. It's the one key missing ingredient we need to address on Offense, besides maybe a little depth.

4. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Randy Moss types are very hard to find but it sounds like we may go after Tory Holt when he is released. he's older obviously but can still play. I'd be very comfortable w/ Holt, Cotch and Stuckey as my top 3 WRs

5. Section 227. Row 5

Some on the board have expressed disinterest in going after an honest-to-goodness deep threat WR. In my mind, it's a no brainer. It's the one important ingredient that will make this offense really click.

Can you imagine the weapons? The running attack with alternating Jones and Washington (and Richardson), then the TE threat, then having a TO/Moss-like WR as a target with Stuckey or Clowney wandering around in the open?

This would be one explosive offense. I'd almost dare to say we could even get it done without going after a QB at this point and relying on either Clemens or Ratty to get the job done. Of course, finding a decent QB we can groom would be the best of all worlds.

6. freeman24

freeman24 Member

No Moss no Welker. New England has a great role for him. Welker was not a big deal in Miami. He was a decent receiver but he did not produce the numbers that he is with the PATS. I hate when Belly takes AFC East players and creates a role for them that makes them shine. Can we say: "Chris Baker". If he stays healthy I can see Baker having a good year.

7. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

I believe that Clowney is faster than Stuckey. Stuckey seems to be a bit more elusive, but I seem to recall that Clowney had sub-4.4 speed in the forty. That's why I'd like to see Clowney split with Stuckey in the slot. Clowney is the better deep threat who can stretch the field.

Clowney didn't just show up, he caught my eye at TC in 2007 before he re-injured his foot, (an ijury he had in his senior year) which kept him out the whole year. Then last year came the collar bone injury.

The reason Clowney is getting so much attention now is because some of the remaining CS said they did not understand why Mangini didn't let him play more last year after he recovered from the collar bone injury.

I don't get the Welker-Stuckey comparison.

8. tubby

tubby Active Member

If Brady is healthy, expect Baker to have a good year. I'm going to grab him in my FF leagues.

9. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

You would be better off with Keller......

10. DMSMaven

DMSMaven Member

Amen to the VASTLY OVERRATED WELKER .... There is NO REASON that Stucki cannot do what Welker has done ... He has all the Physical tools that Welker does, if not more ...

Hopefully we will see him given the chance to excel ....

11. Going4TheGreen

Going4TheGreen Well-Known Member

Welker's 3rd year
    Year Team G Rec Yds Avg Yds/G Lng TD 20+ 40+ 1st FUM
    2005 Miami Dolphins 16 29 434 15.0 27.1 47 0 6 2 20 0

Stuckey's 2nd year
    Year Team G Rec Yds Avg Yds/G Lng TD 20+ 40+ 1st FUM
    2008 New York Jets 15 32 359 11.2 23.9 31 3 5 0 22 0

I can see where the comparisons are coming from. It'd be cool to see Stuckey or Clowney get about 70 catches this year. But, if they did that suddenly they would warrant 7 mill a la TO and Coles

12. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I can't imagine why any Jet fan would NOT want a burner on the squad. As you say that weapon would best balance out what the team already has. The other factor you don't mention is they are not relying on old noodle arm Pennington at Qb, and should be able to get the ball down the field.

13. Section 227. Row 5

OMG, I can't imagine this offense with Pennington still here. Him being under center would change the entire equation.

The shame of it is that we waited so long to dump him. We should have been going after Flacco last year and even as far back as Cutler before him. And now we're still back at Square One and wondering who our QB will be. Ridiculous situation.

14. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

i think many wr's could be welker types. all welker really does is run short out's in's and hitches. im not trying to take anything away from him, but he doesn't do anything most wr's in the league cant do. the difference is he goes 110% on every play. he gives the extra effort to gain a few yards, and he never just falls backwards after making a catch, he tries to turn it up field every time. so yes stuckey has the tools to be a wes welker type, because being like welker comes down to heart and guts for the most part.

15. ibleedgreen7476

I have faith in stuckey and clowney and ratliff and woodhead actully, i think we're gonna have a nice combo on offense of vets and hungry young players. You know whos a waste of space and money, is Brad Smith, that clown has to go.

16. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

Maybe he failed one of Mangini's "pop quizzes."

17. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

For the record somebody said it week 1 on tv after Chansi caught a big pass.

They replayed that game on NFL network the other day hence the start of this thread.

18. Rod_2

Rod_2 Member

I guess I should have been more clear.
    I wasn't saying Chansi was as good as welker.
    Some understood that. Others didn't get that.
    I was talking about their style of play. The quick sudden moves. Using speed on slants and crossing routes. Things of that nature.

19. Eminent Fate

Eminent Fate New Member

Stuckey can be compared to welker, I don't feel that it is that big of a stretch. If someone compared him to Moss then it would be a different story. Welker is just benefiting from Moss. If he was a number 1 he would not have nearly the numbers.

20. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

correct but you make it seem like Welker is just some mediocre WR. He's a top 20 wideout in the league imo.