Rumor: Troy Smith

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by -MC-, Mar 7, 2009.

1. J-Kay

J-Kay New Member

So is that any different of a situation than Troy Smith then? Thats all I was saying...

2. DHarris52

DHarris52 Active Member

I called this on another Jets board about 3 months ago.....

3. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

They aren't trading for him but if they did it wouldn't be to have a 4 way battle. It would be to get the starter. If they wanted to add somebody to a QB battle they would just draft somebody in a later round.

4. Firemangini Ed

Firemangini Ed New Member

I don't see why trading for Troy Smith would be any better than drafting Pat White or even Stephen McGee in the later rounds.

5. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

i'd trade pennington for him straight up

6. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

Personally.. I hope we pass on all of the above.

7. Heavy Metal Thunder

I brought this up twice on this board in January and no one was feeling it. People who say he is a scrambler and not a passer and that compare him to Pat White and Brad Smith have their facts mixed up... just read the bold part of my post below.

I made these posts in January.

#27 Heavy Metal Thunder, Mar 7, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
  8. Heavy Metal Thunder

I'm not saying we should believe this kid on the Ravens message board but it seems as though there might be some credence to what he's saying cause I also found this post on another Jets message board that says the same thing about Troy Smith and Tory Holt...

http://forums.newyorkjets.com/showthread.php?t=1287

QB in Rex's Sights
    I first entered the Jets forum to congratulate you on hiring Rex.
    I must admit as a Raven's fan and I know I speak for all Raven's fans the raiding of our roster is becoming a little over the top on Rex's part.

We receive tons of news as well and some you may not just yet.

As of now Rex has spoken to basically every free agent from the Ravens.

Updates:
    Jets now have their sights on QB Troy Smith. Jets will be making a trade offer to the Ravens to aquire Troy Smith. Source is Troys own agent.

However the Ravens are now getting pretty upset with Rex. Because of this I do not see this trade happening unless the Jets are going to give up major draft picks.

Note: Saw thread concerning Tory Holt.
    Torry Holt visited Ravens. Workout went very well. Ravens announced new mystery Receiver. Looks like Torry Holt.
    Last edited by BaltoRaven; Today at 01:13 AM.

9. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

Agreed. A 4th or 6th. Sorry, but he did look good in the brief time he was on the field. I still think, given the right time and coach, he can develop into a damn good NFL QB.

10. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Breaking News: Rumor on internet message board confirmed by anonymous poster on another internet message board.

11. Long Time Jet Fan

Long Time Jet Fan New Member

Sounds like a done deal then. :metal:

12. OhioJetsFan

OhioJetsFan Member

Troy Smith has the potential to be a lunch-bucket-type player like Troy Brown was. According to accounts, a guy willing to put the time in to develop into a pretty good player.

Begs the question, though, how long do you give a guy, or allow him to be a project? I don't know if the league is as patient with player development any longer, i.e., 'what have you done for me lately.'

13. Long Time Jet Fan

Long Time Jet Fan New Member

I can't see the Jets going after Smith. What's the point in bringing in another unproven QB.

14. al greenspam

al greenspam New Member

It's hard to see how much more Smith has to offer this team than Clemens. Both are a little undersized, neither has played a whole lot in the regular season, Smith probably has looked a bit better in his limited time, but -- please -- don't bring up the Heisman as any evidence of his ability to succeed at the NFL level.

15. Heavy Metal Thunder

Nice job twisting my words around. I even started my post by saying "I'm not saying we should believe this kid...". I have no problem when posters jump on other posters for saying ridiculous things, but if you intentionally twist people's words around just so you can give them a hard time then you my friend are a douchebag.

16. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

I have only recently discovered the trash talking forum. Please take this there for my continued Sunday amusement/billing clients for not actually doing any work. TIA.

17. -MC-

-MC- Active Member

Are you saying that the way he twisted your words, were untrue?

18. Tennessee Jet

Tennessee Jet New Member

Based on this scouting report of Smith, I wouldn;t mind bringing him in for some comp. But a defintiely a late round pick (5th or 6th).

://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?Prospect_ID=512

19. Heavy Metal Thunder

Yes, because my post was in no way a "confirmation" of truth. It was simply pointing out that the same exact rumors were surfacing elsewhere. The first 7 words of my post were "I'm not saying we should believe this..." You lose, but thanks for playing.

20. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

So who do we get rid of if Troy Smith is signed? I can't see us carrying 4 QB's. I think Clemens would be dealt if this were the case. Unless in TC Ratliff is just stinking it up which i don't envision.