The Case to NOT draft Sanchez @ 17

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by kennyo07, Mar 6, 2009.

1. EdBell

EdBell New Member

We have three of the first 76 picks in the draft.

I would be shocked if those didn't result in:

- WR (with speed and size)
    - RB (but not Beanie, please)
    - DL (need depth)

(not necessarily in that order)

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Historically the Jets have never called this one right. The last franchise QB they drafted was Joe Namath in 1965 and they have passed on numerous franchise QB's since then, the latest being Joe Flacco (assuming you think he's a franchise QB) last season. They just do not know how to make that call as an organization and basically never have since the merger.

They'll move up radically in the draft to take other positions but they have never done so for a QB. It's like a rule of thumb for the Jets: never overpay for the most valuable position on the field, even though you've never won anything except for the one time you went and got your guy and gave him the 465k bonus that shocked the sports world.

3. Long Time Jet Fan

Long Time Jet Fan New Member

Never quite looked at it that way, but that's pretty accurate. They did take O'Brien high (passiong on Marino of course) and Pennington was the top QB taken in a weak class. If they come away extremely impressed after the private workout, if Stafford goes #1, the Jets need to jump in front of the 49ers and grab Sanchez. If the Lions don't take Stafford and the Jets like Sanchez they should still jump up a few picks because the 49ers will take Stafford and someone (Buccaneers or Vikings) might jump ahead of them at 17. If they don't like what they see in Sanchez they will go WR, RB, DE, or LB.

4. Br4d

The Jets nitpick up QB's in a way they don't nitpick about other positions. The one exception was Groh convincing Parcells to take Pennington (arm strength) with the Jets third 1st round pick of the 2000 draft. I'm pretty sure the Jets never take Chad if they only have one pick in that round at 18. Too many eggs in the same basket.

They didn't take Leinart (questionable ability outside the star-studded USC offense) or Cutler (played in a bad program at Vanderbilt) or Brees (too short) or Favre or Marino (questionable temperament) or Flacco (not smart enough) or any of a host of other QB's that dropped to their pick in various drafts.

Taking a QB in the first round is a huge risk for a team and the Jets have been very risk averse since Richard Todd failed to be the next Namath followed by Ken O'Brien getting hurt and having his career end prematurely followed by the Browning Nagle fiasco and now the long Chad decline that basically took the franchise along for the ride.

Somewhere in here the Jets have to draft a QB in the first round who can be great, like Joe Namath great. The last guy they drafted that had that as a real possibility was Richard Todd and when the Jets fell off the horse with him they just failed to mount up again. All of the picks after that were either safe or stupid.

5. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

this is perfect. There's nothing more to add.

EDIT: I will say this much, at least the Lions keep trying.

#25 NDmick, Mar 8, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2009
  6. CrackTheSky

CrackTheSky New Member

Thats easy, he won't be there to draft at 17.

7. CrackTheSky

CrackTheSky New Member

Its also the same reason the Jets win 10 games one year and then win 4 the next, and so on and back and forth year in year out. Ken O'Briens career wasn't cut that short, he had years and years, a couple of them pretty good. But of course passing on a futre legand and HOFer in Marino will always shade hindsight. The Browning Nagle fiasco, only came about because the Jets couldn't get Favre in the draft, they tried hard to get him but couldn't, thats when Nagle entered the picture. I felt the Jets should have drafted Cutler when he came out and the same with Flacco. On Flacco didn't know him from Adam, and saw a indepth story on him on ESPN and thought, this guy is going to be a terrific NFL QB we should draft him, he seem unflappable, and he turned out to be just that? Never wanted Leirnart at all, seemed like a less savy Pennington, who by the way I loved when we drafted him, eventually his lack of an arm made him too easy to defend, (Whoops see Dolphins in 08). Over the last several years I have really wanted Either Manning, Cutler, Flacco, and Matt Ryan. Couldn't tell you a thing about this years QB crop just hoping the Jets don't make a reach out of fear.

#27 CrackTheSky, Mar 8, 2009
  8. Freeman McNeil

Here's my opposing view:

The problem with this type of logic is that it's based on a win now strategy, it's not forward thinking, in other words if this QB can't help me win this year then don't draft him.

In many cases this logic makes sense since you can't wait 2-3 years for all your picks to start paying off, but with a QB you have to be able to make that commitment and let them sit (on a decent team), or grow in the job (on a bad team).

It's very hard to accurately predict who can come in and contribute immediately. Last year at this time the general consensus on Flacco was that it would take 2-3 years before he could be a productive Pro, same was true with Roethlisberger and Cutler. Eli Manning was supposed to pay off right away, but it took 3 years till he was ready, Peyton and Elway had growing pains as well.

Ultimately it depends on how you evaluate the player. If Sanchez is the best value on the board, you take him, let him compete for the job and see how ready he is, if not take the best player available.

Last year the logic was to draft a QB at best in the later rounds because Clemens hadn't really gotten a chance. If we had picked Flacco at #6, or traded back perhaps our QB situation would have been different, instead here we are again hoping we can find a QB from a collection of players with unimpressive resumes.

The same short term thinking last year cost us $12M, a 3rd round pick and a missed bid for the playoffs. This year here we are again picking from 2 of the 3 who were on our roster last year and a 5th rounder who hasn't shown much yet.

9. tom spicer

tom spicer New Member

I hate when I read on this site how we should not take Sanchez & if Kellen or Ratliff dont work out we can get McCoy/Tebow/Bradford next year. First McCoy the pros said was a 4th round pick if he came out this year if Sanchez is a 1st round pick this year & McCoy is a 4th why would we want him.

Bradford is a shot gun QB & Tebow runs the spread we dont even know if these guys could be drop back pocket QB'S like you have to be in the NFL. Sanchez played in a pro style O pros are saying that Tebow will have to play HB in the NFL that he cant be a QB on that level. I know for a fact if he thinks he is going to run in the NFL like he does in college he will get snapped in half he is not fast like Vick & he is running no one over at the NFL level.

Also what makes you think the Jets will be in a position to draft one of these guys next year ? If you have a chance to get Sanchez you take him we took care of the D in free agency in the draft take care of the O QB/WR/RB. I would like to get 2 out of these 3 in the 1st 2 rounds Sanchez, Moreno, Wells, Nicks, Maclin 1st round (I think Stafford & Crabtree will be gone before we pick) 2nd round Britt or Brown depending on who we get in the 1st.

10. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Really? Look again my friend. The QB's coming out out in 2010's draft are talented COLLEGE QB's.......not talented Pro-Style NFL QBs. TeBow & McCoy wil never be great NFL QBs..........Sanchez & Stafford are the 2 best NFL ready QBs in this draft. Slim pickings in 2010......there are a few good ones, but NOT in the class of Mark & Matt.

#30 WW85, Mar 8, 2009
  11. chrisrex

chrisrex Active Member

The Jets ALSO passed on getting or trading up for Ryan Leaf, Tim Couch, Dave Brown, Rick Mirer (although they obviously didnt learn) Akili Smith, Drunkenmiller, etc etc etc etc etc

To put Sanchez into the same category as Marino and Favre is ridiculous. To mention Leinart just proves a point why you DON'T have to draft this kid. Every year, every QB in the draft is going to be the 'next franchise QB'. It simply isnt so. There are HUNDREDS of first round QBs that simply NEVER live up to their billing. Unless you are CONVINCED Sanchez is another Marino, there is really no need to forgo WR or DL to take a chance on it. If this were a deeper QB class, Sanchez would be 2nd round talent. To reach up for him because he happens to be the 2nd best qb in a thin as hell QB class is nuts. If they did that with a Running back, we'd be calling for their heads, but now we want them to reach for an unpolished QB instead of one of their immediate needs at a DEEP draft position?

12. Johnny4

Johnny4 New Member

I don't agree. More than just those 2 are coming out next year including Clausen who plays in a pro style and is VERY similar prospect to Sanchez. There could be 4 first round QB's next year.
    I like Sanchez, but am having a hard time comparing him to a current NFL QB. The closest to me is Kassell, but Kassell is taller and bigger. Kassell also had the advantage of sitting for 3 years and zero pressure because he was a 6 rounder. By the way he also got to throw to Moss and Welker and had one of the best staffs around him in football. Sanchez sometimes reminds me of Joey Harrington, other times Jeff Garcia. He gets rid of the ball quick, which is very important in the NFL. Regardless, the team who drafts him has to have the intention of sitting him for a year, letting him do his Senior season on the bench. I think he can be a very good starter in the West Coast system, which would make him an ideal pick for Detroit's second first rounder or Tampa Bay.

13. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I said there were a few NFL style QB's in next year's draft, again NO ONE has the NFL talent of Sanchez or Stafford............ Clausen, while good, isn't in the same class of talent. I was trying to inform the other Poster...McCoy isn't the answer .

Sanchez has played in a Pro-System, that's a fact, and has all the tools to develop into a solid NFL QB. USC develops their QBs better than an other team in College, plus they always recuit the best.

Sorry to disagree....I see nothing in common with Harrington and Sanchez.

#33 WW85, Mar 8, 2009
  14. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Actually, Jimmy Clausen is in the same class of talent (just like Stafford and Sanchez, Clausen was a #1 rated pro-style quarterback recruit) - he's just had horrible pass protection at Notre Dame. Now that Notre Dame has built that team around him, I think he'll become a Heisman caliber QB.

I don't know how someone can compare Harrington to Sanchez.

(I do think that Sanchez and Stafford are better pro prospects than Colt McCoy.)

#34 Mr Electric, Mar 8, 2009
  15. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

My only issue with this reasoning is just because he's the 2nd best this year (I can deal with that), it doesn't make him worth it. Remember, a few years ago, the best and second best were Alex Smith and Aaron Rogers. I know reasonable minds can differ about Rogers (I still say he'll be, at best, somewhat average, if he stops getting hurt every year), but if the quality is just not there in a particular year, I don't see the advantage to seizing what is the best of what there is to offer, especially if we legitimately have other areas of need.

16. Br4d

Never taking a shot means you'll never get burned. There, I just gave you the Jet's draft strategy for QB's since 1978.

17. chrisrex

chrisrex Active Member

Not arguing that fact... I just wouldnt chose THIS year to take that bold shot. Non of these guys screams 'franchise blue chip youre gonna be sorry if you dont draft he' player. Your assessment of the jets drafting IS correct... I just dont think you pick a QB this year just because you missed on better QBs in PREVIOUS years.

18. Long Time Jet Fan

Long Time Jet Fan New Member

Nobody bothers to reach much of threads these days. He's not even saying take Sanchez. What he's saying is in response to something I posted. That being if you don't think you have a franchise QB and you think Sanchez can be one then you take him. He's not saying take Sanchez for the sake of taking him. The Jets are going to give him a private workout. Depending on how he looks there they will decide what to do.

19. JetDynasty

JetDynasty Active Member

no QB!!!

with the 17th pick in the draft the new york jets select.....derrius hayward bey or hakeem nicks....we dont need another qb especially from this draft class...i say lets c what we got and c what happens

20. cspkrazy

cspkrazy New Member

we should take a WR with our first pick