Rumor: Troy Smith

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by -MC-, Mar 7, 2009.

1. -MC-

-MC- Active Member

For the record, 1/93452 rumors ever come true.

Some random kid on a Ravens board says he got to have a real long conversation with agent "JL". What a lucky kid! Agents definitely have time to talk to random youngsters about the ravens organization.

http://boards.baltimoreravens.com/index.php?showtopic=8260&st=0

Im not sure how I would feel if we traded for Smith. My impression of him is that he is short, young, decent arm, mobile, pretty accurate, good long ball.

A 3 way battle in training camp would would push Clemens and Ratty all the more.

2. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

I'd take him as the third option at QB, and I think he can play in the NFL, but I wouldn't give up an early pick at all. Maybe a 4th. I don't know.

3. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Given his injury and where he was drafted, I think we could do it for a 6th. And I'd love to have him here to compete.

If I remember correctly, he was pretty good in his short time starting for the Ravens.

4. Graytness

Graytness Member

For all intent and purposes, he was going to be the Ravens' starter last year, until he came down with that illness. I don't see this trade happening, but it is a plausible scenario. Rex Ryan saw the kid on a daily basis last year and knows what he is capable of. The Ravens must assume that Flacco is going to be cemented as their starter for a while, so maybe they'd entertain offers for Troy Smith.

Would I want him? Hard to say. I guess it throws one more questionable young QB into the mix.

5. Quack

Quack New Member

I'd be happy about this. I was shocked that Troy Smith dropped as far as he did in the draft, and he hasn't looked bad so far in his limited career.

6. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

If Holt were at the Ravens facility it would have been reported. That alone makes me believe the entire post by that kid is BS.

7. Jet21

Jet21 New Member

I'd give a 7th and Erik Ainge for Troy...but thats about it.

Rumor is bs.

8. J-Kay

J-Kay New Member

I wouldn't give up more than a 6th for him. Maybe a 5th. More competition is always a good thing, though I don't think he'd beat out Ratliff. I do however, think he'd beat out Clemens. Plus with Kyle Boller a free agent, Im not so sure how willing the Ravens would be to part with their only backup QB...

If we could send a pick out for Smith and then send out Clemens for a (higher?) pick, thatd be great.

9. JETSFAN1290

JETSFAN1290 Banned

Smith experimentII here we go............

Id consider it based on his collegiate career. Im still sold Ratliff is the next great JETS QB.

10. HCoftheNYJ

HCoftheNYJ New Member

Troy Smith deserves a chance to start. And he'd be the perfect QB for the type of team we'll probably have next year.

and, by the way, how can anyone say he "wouldn't beat out Brett Ratliff." Smith won a Heisman; Ratliff was average in college. Smith has gone through a full-fledged QB competition and looked good; Ratliff played three minutes against the dregs of pro football.

11. HCoftheNYJ

HCoftheNYJ New Member

Which would make him... the second great Jets QB.

12. JETSFAN1290

JETSFAN1290 Banned

Im ok with that we need to continue some time along the way here.

13. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

If Smith was so good, why'd the Ravens draft Flacco in the first round...before Smith was injured?

14. HCoftheNYJ

HCoftheNYJ New Member

Not really a fair point, consideringt hat the offensive regime that drafted Flacco was a completely different group from the guys that took Smith.

15. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

It is completely fair. You don't draft a starting QB if you already have a young starting-caliber QB on the roster. That's like saying if a new coach came to the Falcons then it would make sense of the them to draft a new QB because Ryan wasn't their guy.

16. WhiteShoeWillis

drew brees & phillip rivers rings a bell.

17. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Drew Brees wasn't playing all that well when they drafted Rivers

18. WhiteShoeWillis

That's beside the point. Troy Smith wasn't playing at all.

19. J-Kay

J-Kay New Member

Jaguars drafted Byron Leftwich when they already had David Garrard. Garrard was supposed to be their QB of the future under Coughlin but he didn't fit in with Del Rio's plans, but look who they're going with now...

20. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Garrard was drafted in the 4th round in 2002, as a project QB. It was smart for the Jags to take Leftwich, who appeared to be more NFL-ready, one year later in 2003.

Garrard was nothing special then, just like he is nothing special now.