TE dept. : " Jets | Negotiating with Bajema " ~ ~ ~

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by kelly, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

What makes him a great receiver? He's does have very good hands for a big man, but he's not fast, he's not a solid route runner, and for some reason he was never a threat in the redzone.

BP is a dominant run blocker, but he's not much of a threat in the passing game - most linebackers will be able to cover him easily.

I think he was under-utilized at OK State because they run a variation of the spread...BP was used primarily as a blocker, where he was able to showcase how good is at blocking.

He's a lot like Heath Miller...

I know BP is the best tight end in the draft, but he's not worth the Jets' first round choice.

Pettigrew is not even close to Jermaine Gresham as an all-around tight end prospect. South Carolina's Weslye Saunders is one of the better all-around tight ends in the country as well.

2. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

The Jets would've been very well off if we had taken Heath Miller instead of trading for Mike Nugent and Doug Jolley a few years ago.

This guy is probably a better version of Miller even. And the coverage I'm not very concerned about, because whoever normally would cover him, will be covering Keller instead. It creates a lot of mismatches that are very useful in a power running game like the one we will be utilizing.

3. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

What are you talking about?

4. xxedge72x

Think about it. Let's say our TE cover guy is Bart Scott. If you faced an offense with both Pettigrew and Keller, I'd have Scott on Keller... NOT Pettigrew. You could always move a safety up, but that opens things up on the outside... Do you see the mismatch problems this creates? Put Leon Washington on the field, and you have chaos.

5. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Yeah, but you can put basically any linebacker on Pettigrew and he'll be able to cover him.

He won't create many mismatches in the passing game - he would provide an extra offensive lineman on the field though.

6. xxedge72x

That's where we see this differently. A Heath Miller type TE is a TE that can't be covered by every linebacker, especially not the 2nd best coverage TE on a team in most cases. I see Pettigrew as a guy who can get ignored in the passing game, and as a result often be open heading straight up the seam or flooding the zones. Baker used to do it all the time, and this guy is at worst equal to Baker in the receiving department. Huge upgrade blocking.

7. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Heath Miller isn't a dominant receiver like Kellen Winslow or Tony Gonzalez. He's a blocking tight end that slips underneath a couple times a game...

A lot of Miller's receptions come out of block-then-release situations. Pettigrew could find similar success doing this. I don't consider a tight end getting under 50 catches a SEASON*** a receiving threat.

Miller is very good at what he does, but he's far from being an uncoverable, ungodly, receiving tight end like T-Gon or Shannon Sharpe

#27 Mr Electric, Mar 6, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
  8. xxedge72x

Not saying he is that kind of tight end. He doesn't need to be dominant either. He needs to be effective in thrashing the dagger into the opponents when they are worried about the rest of the offense, and Pettigrew is good enough to do that on a regular basis, most other blocking TEs are not.

Think of a goal line situation... 2nd and 2. With Pettigrew on the end, teams know that more than likely the Jets would try to ram the ball straight down the opponent's faces. What's to say that he doesn't block and release while the QB runs a play action? He could thrive in scenarios such as this.

9. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Would he thrive though? He scored ZERO TDs in 2008.

BP scored 9 TDs as a four year starter -- I said earlier, he wasn't used that much in the passing game, but it scares me that he rarely found the endzone.

10. xxedge72x

Honestly I don't put a ton of weight into what these kids do in college statistically. I'm concerned with what their skills are, and how can they fit into our system? My personal opinion is that this guy is a great fit for a run heavy, smashmouth offense like the Jets want to run. I think he'll be great for helping protect Ratliff / Clemens (God knows Clemens will need it) and he'll be a good receiver option on top of that, which doesn't give away whether we're going to run or pass the way that a run blocking TE Bajema would.

11. Phear

Phear New Member

If nicks is on the board and we trade down to draft another te I think a lot of people are going to be pissed, myself included. I see you say all the mismatches we will have if we draft bp, but I do not see it concidering cotchery is our #1 at the moment.

12. DraftaFullBack

DraftaFullBack Active Member

Drafting Brandon Pettigrew would be really stupid, and it's not going to happen.

Sometimes I can't believe how dumb the shit I read on here is

13. xxedge72x

That's quite a compelling argument.

You've definitely managed to provide indisputable evidence that you are correct.

14. Sinjz

Sinjz Active Member

Wow, your standards are incredibly high! :smile:

15. Phear

Phear New Member

Well it's not rocket science and I do not think anyone needs to provide any proof of why drafting a te with our first pick is stupid. seeing as it should be common sense to most. However, just to entertain you......

1) A blocking TE can be filled in fa.

2) I do not know any team who wants that much money spent on TE's, we did release baker.

3) when the jets pick if we do not go WR we will go best player available and BP is neither.

4) See 1-3

16. IrishSteveZ

IrishSteveZ New Member

BINGO

And yes

17. xxedge72x

1) Pettigrew wouldn't be drafted to be a blocking TE, which as you pointed out, CAN be filled in FA, he'd be drafted to be a dual threat TE.

Not only is Pettigrew the best blocking TE in the draft, but some think he is a better blocker than ALL of the linemen in the draft... which, if even half true, is a huge commodity for any team, especially a team that has a run first scheme, like the Jets.

But beyond the blocking, Pettigrew is ALSO a receiving threat. If he were not, his stock would not be nearly as high as he is. This is a dynamic TE, not a pure blocking TE, and as such, would be an instant upgrade to the offense the Jets are going to run.

2) Two rookie contracts in the TE position are hardly deal breakers, nor would we be the first to have multiple first round pick tight ends. Just look north to our most bitter rivals who've selected multiple high draft pick tight ends over the years. They've fallen off lately, but generally have been far more successful than we have as of late. Why is that? They take players that fit their system.

3) Keller is a very poor blocker and was essentially drafted for his size and receiving ability. He will more or less be used as a receiver. Someone mentioned Marques Colston, there is no reason why Keller can't be used in a role very similar to this. With a run first offense, Keller's value is limited as a pure TE.

So while drafting Pettigrew would not be conventional wisdom, it is by no means stupid. There are a lot of creative ways in which he'd be an excellent fit into our offense, and if we have the opportunity to grab him and some extra draft picks in the process, the Jets should go for it.

#37 xxedge72x, Mar 7, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
  18. Phear

Phear New Member

See edge that's where me and most here would disagree with u. Drafting him would be stupid seeing as we have bigger needs. Do you think that te is a bigger need than wr,de (ellis is not getting any younger) or line depth in general? If so then I will stop debating with you right now. Drafting a te with our first pick IS stupid no matter how you try and spin it. BP can not stretch the field and if used in passing what for? Dump offs? Is he going to get lots of yac with his lighting speed? No cause he's slow. We have a receiving te threat in keller who will create mismatches, yes he can not block which is why we will get a blocking te via FA. BP will not be the bpa when we pick which is why we will not draft him.

19. xxedge72x

Most would agree with me that when you're drafting, you draft BPA, or best pick available in case you did not know. If Pettigrew is the best pick on the board at the time, you take him.

We do need a WR and a DE. We do not necessarily need to take one in the first round for the sake of taking one.

DE, no matter what way you cut it, is a pick that would not pay out immediate dividends. If there is a slam dunk 3-4 DE on the board, then you take him. If not, then you don't.

WR is a pick that could pay immediate dividends, but I believe Pettigrew could pay bigger dividends. The reason he would pay bigger dividends, is because you would move Keller to WR. I'd rather have Pettigrew at TE and Keller at WR then say Nicks at WR, and Keller at TE.

While I'm sure Nicks will be an excellent wide receiver, I really don't see the need for having two Cotcherys on the team, when the objective of the offense is going to be running the ball primarily. When the Jets are faced with 3rd and inches, a lineup that includes Keller AND Pettigrew is going to fare far better than Nicks and Keller.

Understand, the reason I'm very much into this pick is because of the style of offense the Jets are going to run. We're going to be a smash mouth team. You won't be seeing spread formations. Our offenses objective is going to be to absolutely kick people in the face... and in this draft, on the offensive side of the ball, no one defines that better than Branden Pettigrew. He is an ideal pick for the Jets, albeit they should probably trade down if they did in fact decide they wanted to draft him.

Come draft time, if they go LB or DE I'll be happy with the pick. Hell, if they go o-line, I'll be happy with the pick. When it comes to receivers however, I feel there is a lot of good value in round 2, and that if you want to get someone who is really going to impact this offense in round 1, it is not a receiver, it is Pettigrew at TE.

20. Phear

Phear New Member

Keller should not be moved to wr when playing out of the te position he can create huge mis matches when a LB has to cover him. We saw this when we played ne the second time. BP will be a wasted pick since we are obviously looking at te's in FA. I understand you feel strongly about BP, but you should come to terms with the fact that there is little to no chance he will be on this team. And if we sign a te via FA then there is 0 chance.