Let me put the #1 WR issue to rest...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Heavy Metal Thunder, Mar 4, 2009.

1. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Ward means more, trust me. Its not the on field production - learn to think beyond numbers and the playing field"

"Valuable" not "best"

2. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

Ok - compare the supposed elite receiver over the past three years with the player everyone contends is at best a #2

Year Rec Yds Avg TD
    2008 81 1,043 12.9 7
    2007 71 732 10.3 7
    2006 74 975 13.2 6

Year Rec Yds Avg TD
    2008 71 858 12.1 5
    2007 82 1,130 13.8 2
    2006 82 961 11.7 6

The second receiver has 9 more receptions, 199 more yards, and 7 less TDs and his YPC is 12.5 compared to 12.2 for the first receiver.

Can anyone tell me who these receivers are and whether is one really better than the other??????

3. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Ok well fair argument ND but you can't tell me he's better than the other pending WR inductees. He's not even a top 10 WR in the league currently. (or at any point in his career)

4. NYJalltheway

and duh jwws its cotch.

that was an easy one

edit: and hines ward is the 1st. (i thought that was assumed)

5. nyjetsjetsjets

nyjetsjetsjets New Member

I agree about talent. That goes without saying. But there frankly isn't enough on the field information to see if Cotchery isn't getting open, or if the playcalling is suspect. Either way, the Steelers and Ravens are known for running and defense. This year the Jets will be known for the same thing. If we don't have someone that can stretch the field, like Brett did or a speedy receiver that can get off the line of scrimmage, then it will be a miserable year. Clowney and Stuckey are fast, but neither got significant playing time because our offense was not centered around multiple receiver sets. We would call multiple receiver sets, but only when it was a predictable passing situation. I would like to see us run an offense similar to what Cincinnati did a few years back with Housh, Johnson, and Henry. We don't have the same skill set at WR, but let's stretch the field every time we step on the field with our personnel.

6. chris5533

chris5533 Well-Known Member

I understand where your trying to go with this, but its not completely accurate

7. NYJalltheway

well thank you for that well put specific arguement.

Now I take back everything that was said prior to this post.

8. Heavy Metal Thunder

Since Cotch and Stucky are more posession type recievers, that is why I think we should draft Britt if we can get him in rd 2. he is the tallest of the top 10 WR's in this year's draft. I think he's 6'4, but I'll have to check on that.

9. RedWhiteBlue&Green

RedWhiteBlue&Green Active Member

I think, because there are so many good wide receivers available, it's going to force all of them to move down the draft, because teams aren't going to think they need to draft one so quickly. That's going to mean that in round 2 and 3 there will be top receivers available. The Jets will wind up with a very good WR in this draft.

10. The_W

The_W Banned

I'm not sure if an effective offense needs a burner. Sure it helps, but for example, look at Indy. I wouldn't describe Wayne, Marvin, Gonzo or Clark as burners, but good route runners with good hands and willingness to go and make a catch in the middle.

And I think Cotch has been able to strech the field well, considering his speed. Remember the first td of last season or that ridiculous catch in NE?

So in my opinion, Cotch very well is our no. 1 receiver and Stuckey has proven to be a decent slot. Then there's Keller creating mismatches in the middle. Now if we'd take Hakeem Nicks in the 1st round that would give us another solid route runner with great hands.

I'm sorry guys, but I just can't see our receiving corps being that bad as some people make it sound.

11. Welcome to J-Ville

Welcome to J-Ville New Member

i think its more important to point out that of the 12 playoff teams last year, 10 of them have drafted their current QBs. Also, can anybody remember the last time a team picked up a QB through free agency and won the superbowl with that QB? I think it's important to have the talent homegrown with regards to that position. As for WR, I agree that it is not necessary to have an elite WR if your QB is playing well, and most all teams in the playoffs have great QB play. Lets hope Ratliff or Clemens pans out..

12. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

^trent dilfer and Brad Johnson,, but those are two out of the 6 examples in the history of the super bowl era.

a team needs to draft its QB.

13. Welcome to J-Ville

Welcome to J-Ville New Member

fair enough but those happen to be 2 QBs playing on 2 of the best defenses of all-time. All they had to do was NOT lose the game, and even so the defenses covered for them often.

14. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

exactly, which isn't a bad way to go. But the percentages are just so low for that philosophy to work.

A team needs a handful of HOFers in their prime and one all century player on defense for that to happen.

I'll take the franchise QB who can win the game when its on the line with the defense good enough to keep it close so he can do that any day. That's just my philosophy.

15. ThreadTheNeedle

ThreadTheNeedle New Member

while number 1 reciever isn't a necessity... it is a nice luxury to have. I'd like to see the Jets draft Kenny Britt in the first round.

16. JETSFAN1290

JETSFAN1290 Banned

A big physical WR who isnt afraid to go over the middle or up in the air for the ball. Only WR id choose in front of him is CrabTree. Britt is the real deal.

17. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

That WR with the worst stats was dinged up all three years and still has picked up his game in big games. Against elite teams in the playoffs in 14 games he has 76 catches 1064 yards a 14YPC average and 8 TD's. He also has 2 SB wins and he had 10 catches against us in the 04 playoff game the same game than the No. 2 with the good stats had no receptions and one carry for 0 yards.

Hines Ward blows Cotch off the map and I like Cotch alot.

18. cspkrazy

cspkrazy New Member

i say we give stucky, clowny, and cotchery a chance to prove how good of a WR corp they are

19. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Our Receiver will come in the draft either with the 1st or 2nd rounder. I would go for either Maclin or Nicks if Crabtree is off the board which i think he definitely will be.

20. Coach K

Coach K New Member

i keep telling people its gonna be Maclin/Nicks or Vontae Davis /Tyson Jackson/Jaron Gilbert

obviously if we go WR 1st rd we'll go DL/LB 2nd rd. and vice versa.

thats just my opinion.