Let me put the #1 WR issue to rest...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Heavy Metal Thunder, Mar 4, 2009.

1. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

Right, we don't have either. But the point is - and that's why this is debatable - that you can get it done with other aspects if you don't have a WR who takes on double-teams and causes mismatches.

Outside of the QB, there's no one position that you can say, "this has to be elite or there's no SB hope." Even without an elite QB you can win the SB, but it's so rare that I'm not going to cite Dilfer, because something like that just doesn't happen enough that you can use it as your blueprint.

2. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

I agree you don't have to have a formula, a great super unit on D can create mismatches. A great OL can create mismatches but at the end of the day to put a playoff winning streak together you need playmakers to make plays to win. WR tend to be have the most space to work in to make plays. You have a playmaker at WR and a QB who can get the ball out to him in space it just makes sense that's a formula that can break down a defense in a tight game at any time and turn a game.

3. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Wes Welker is able to truly shine because teams have to double the deep threat that Moss is, which is why Welker gets so much receptions, because if people decided to double Welker, the Brady to Moss connection would turn every game into a blowout

4. Long Time Jet Fan

Long Time Jet Fan New Member

Exactly. The same reason the Giants missed Burress. Without him a major threat was gone and defenses could focus elsewhere.

5. JetsFanatic389

JetsFanatic389 New Member

+1, was gonna say the same thing

6. nyjetsjetsjets

nyjetsjetsjets New Member

The point is not him being a number#1 receiver, but the fact that he compliments the offensive strategy. The Steelers are run first and pass second. They also have speed receivers who stretch the field. Cotchery can be our Mason/ Ward. We need to find our Santonio Holmes/ Clayton burner for when teams committ to the run like they committed to the pass when we had Favre. That's why this season seems promising for us, because we have most of the pieces that the Ravens and Steelers have.

7. Heavy Metal Thunder

I agree 100%. That being said I would still rather have Welker over Moss.

8. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

You still need the talent to pull it off or else every team with one random possession guy and one burner can get the job done. Ward can get separation in order to be that goto player, while Cotchery has talent he isn't able to get consistent seperation from DBs to be in that Ward role, it showed when Cotchery disappeared down the stretch last year which means if we get a burner he'd have to be like a Randy Moss a guy that is tall enough to catch in traffic and get down the field, but we don't have that. It is easier said than done to simply coping the Steelers/Ravens blueprint

9. JetsYankeesThrylos

JetsYankeesThrylos Active Member

a #2 reciever, who was never considered elite, who just had a great game

10. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

I have stated it before and I'll state it again. WR is the least important position on a team.

With that being said, we do need a WR. It's our biggest weakness imo.

11. NYJalltheway

exactly, not only will ward not be a first ballot but i will be shocked if he is ever even considered for the hall. that statement was a ridiculous one.

12. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Roddy White is an elite wideout. He had his breakout season in 2007 and followed it up with a great season in 2008.

13. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

Ward won't be in on the first ballot, but he'll definitely be considered. I can see him making the hall, especially if he has a few more seasons left in him.

accomplishments:
    * 4x Pro Bowl selection (2001, 2002, 2003, 2004)
    * 3x All-Pro selection (2002, 2003, 2004)
    * 2x Super Bowl Champion (XL, XLIII)
    * Super Bowl XL MVP
    * 2003 Steelers MVP
    * 2x Steelers co-MVP (2002, 2005)
    * Steelers Career Records for Receptions, Receiving Yards, & Receiving TDs

14. bigalxc

bigalxc Active Member

Roddy White is in the top 10 best WRs in the NFL. He will continue to shine with Matt Ryan at QB

15. Heavy Metal Thunder

I'll give you that one. He had an amazing year.

16. Jets FTW!!

Jets FTW!! Member

Jets NEED a WR...maybe not elite....but someone above average. Look at Mcnabb. always makes it to the nfc championship game and failed every time. But one year he had a nasty WR and made it to the superbowl...then that wr got injuryed for the superbowl and he lost. Every qb needs a good or great WR... you can't say the jets don't need one haha.

17. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

if he can add one more pro bowl he will be considered... the way he plays the game is perfect... he is my favorite player of all time because of the way he plays, not his #s.

He might have to wait a while, but he may be considered.

18. NYJalltheway

While the accomplishments you listed are nothing less than great accomplishments, as far as being a HOF WR he's just not it. Overall he is a great blocker, and decent receiver. I don't think personally that he deserved any of those awards but the fact remains that he got them.

19. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

so he didn't deserve the team MVP?

20. NYJalltheway

I don't see why he would deserve it. There had to be SOMEBODY on defense more worthy. Team mvp for a wr is just a stupid choice. The only examples I can think of are Andre Johnson and Calvin Johnson this year.