Let me put the #1 WR issue to rest...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Heavy Metal Thunder, Mar 4, 2009.

1. DraftaFullBack

DraftaFullBack Active Member

I would bet my life that he doesn't get in first ballot.

He might not get in at all.

2. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

The argument can go either way because it also depends on the rest of the team.

However, you can't undervalue the importance of QB/WR because of a team's style (i.e. run-first Offense) or because of the Playoff Stats.

How many Postseason and Superbowl games have been decided by a QB having to drive the field in 2 minutes. In that scenario, you either need a great QB, an "elite" WR, or both.

The Cards may not have taken gained the lead if Fitzgerald is just an above-average WR on that Post he took to the house.

The Steelers don't drive the field if Holmes doesn't make a big play followed by one of the greatest Superbowl catches ever.

While it may not be completely necessary - there's no prerequisite - to have a WR to win the SB, but it helps.

Having said all that, if you have a combination of guys, like Cotcher/Nicks/Keller and then a legit deep threat (Clowney?), that could also be enough to win the SB. But then you almost certainly have to rely on the other aspects of the team -- Defense and excellent QB play.

3. tom spicer

tom spicer New Member

The Pats won 3 bowls with no elite WR. The G Men won 2, the Broncos won 2 & the Ravens won 1 all with no elite WR the point is it can be done you need a great D, a great running game. You have to create turnovers & you cant have turnovers.

4. The Uniform Bomber

The prime example of the argument going either way is the Pats.

They won with average WRs that became really good because of Brady.

But they also went to the SB because they outscored everyone with Brady throwing to Moss and Welker.

There are so many other factors that play into it; still if it came down to having an "elite" WR and not having one, which would you choose?

5. DraftaFullBack

DraftaFullBack Active Member

This thread is stupid, you could do this with every position. Even QB.

This isn't basketball, one player won't carry you to a championship

6. 624

624 Banned

I think this shows more about the importance of your running game in the playoffs more than your receiving corps.

But in my opinion a #1 receiver is anyone who can match up effectively against the opposing teams #1 Cornerback.

7. The Uniform Bomber

It's not stupid, so chill with that.

However, I agree with your sentiment that it demonstrates you need a complete team to win it all, not just one aspect over the other.

8. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

i see nothing but threads that say "we don't truly need the best at this position"

why are so many Jets fans afraid of success?

9. The Uniform Bomber

They're not afraid of success; they just accept mediocrity -- probably because they're so accustomed to it.

The biggest proponent of mediocrity was JLfDWARE.

10. Heavy Metal Thunder

Not all positions are equal... You can negate not having one standout receiver by spreading the ball around to several players. You cannot disperse responsibility like that at other positions, especially QB and NT.

11. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

The basic premise of this thread is flawed. This year both SB teams were loaded at WR and WR on both teams made the key plays in the game for both teams and either way the game goes it's the WR is the MVP. In SB history 21 times the QB was the MVP, 7 times it was a running back, 6 times it was a WR, 2 times a safety, 2 times a LB 3 times a DL member.

Since I have been watching the NFL the rules of the game have consistently been changed to favor the passing game, free up the WR to make plays and protect both the WR and the QB. If anything the passing game and a big time WR and QB is more important than ever.

In a league of essentially mediocrity, the difference between championships and also rans turns on match up football in the playoffs. With the changes in rules the teams that are able to exploit the matchups in the passing games tend to have a decided edge particularly in the fast perfect conditions that the final game tends to be played in.

12. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

There is a bit of a difference we don't exactly need a #1 WR as what we truly need is a goto WR and our offense towards the end of the season showed that Cotchery isn't good enough to be that goto WR that can make a big play when they need one, also a goto WR can be used as a decoy to get others more wide open. What this season has shown is that if you don't have that goto WR, your offense is in for a rough time against playoff defenses since they don't have to respect your passing game nearly as much and can fully focus on going hard after the QB via pass rush

13. nyjetsjetsjets

nyjetsjetsjets New Member

Interesting comments. What i didn't read was a point about the "type" of team. The Steelers are a power running team with a phenomenal defense. Same thing with the Titans and Ravens. They don't need a number 1 type receiver that commands double coverage like Randy Moss or Fitzgerald. The game is all about matchups. If you build a team like the Colts, your purpose is to score many points and force the opposition to keep up. When they can't, you unleash Freeney and Mathis. Freeney and Mathis wouldn't be defensive ends in Pittsburgh, they would be linebackers. What is encouraging about the Jets Free Agency period, is that we've solidified many defensive positions that will enable us to draft players that will fit the mold Rex has envisioned for us.....smash-mouth-run-first team that plays great defense. Bart Scott was key because of his age, coverage abilities, system knowledge, and temperment. Leonhard was key because he has the secondary knowledge needed, and because Chris McAlister just wasn't going to work financially or longterm. If we had a receiver like Plaxico on the Giants Superbowl team, then we would be able to keep the game simple for anybody that we put at quarterback.

On a side note, we need burners at the WR position. This first 3 rounds of the draft will probably be about the needed outside pass rush (OLB) and some speedy receivers. Everything else we draft will be for depth.

14. winstonbiggs

Exactly right. In the NFL today you need a go to guy and 2other quality options either a solid No. 2 and a real good pass catching TE or a solid number 2 and a real good slot reciever. If you don't have a real go to guy and teams can single cover it gives the matchup advantage to the D.

15. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Pittsburgh does have a #1 WR in Ward, and the main reason why Pittsburgh has been able to stay consistant is that they have the passing game to compliment the running game. Baltimore has tried for years to address their passing game and has faltered since the SB year same could be said for the Titans. When you don't have the compliment passing game, a playoff-caliber defense can stop just about any running game

16. Heavy Metal Thunder

I agree with you in sense but my questions to you are...

1) If the passing game is what gives teams the edge, doesn't defending the pass and pressuring the QB grow in importance as well? The more important the passing game gets.. the more important CB's and pass rushers become.

2) Even if the passing game has become more important in today's NFL, why does that mean that having a single lights out WR is more effective than a committee of solid options that the QB can go to?

#56 Heavy Metal Thunder, Mar 4, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  17. The Uniform Bomber

I think I was getting at that in one my posts...

But what if you have, say, two or three very good #2 WRs, and no "goto/elite" WR? Is that enough?

For the sake of argument, what if you could clone Cotchery and you created two more of him, playing with Stuckey and Keller; would that be a strong enough WR corps that you wouldn't need a true, elite, #1 matchup nightmare WR?

18. The Uniform Bomber

This is turning into a chicken-or-egg debate.

19. winstonbiggs

I think the Giants have 2 very good WR very much in Cotchery's mold after Burris went down and I believe Burris cost them a repeat of the SB this year.

A good not great passing game probably needs a great running attack to compensate. We don't have that either.

20. Heavy Metal Thunder

I agree with what you guys are saying about a go to receiver. That's why I'd probably take Wes Welker on our team over Randy Moss.