Let me put the #1 WR issue to rest...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Heavy Metal Thunder, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Heavy Metal Thunder

I hear so many people on this board grossly over-estimating the value and importance of a big-name, high-profile #1 WR. An elite WR is not a necessary component of being an elite NFL team. People can define an elite WR in different ways so I will use some common definitions. Keep in mind that AZ is the exception here not the rule.

If you consider an elite WR someone who scores a lot of receiving TD?s?

1) Only 1 out of the 12 teams that made the playoffs last year had a player(s) make the list of top ten in receiving TD?s (AZ ? Fitzgerald and Boldin). That means 11 of the 12 playoff teams didn?t.

If you consider an elite WR someone who gets a lot of receiving yards?

2) Only 4 out of the 12 teams that made the playoffs last year had a player(s) make the list of top ten in receiving yards (AZ ? Fitzgerald, CAR ? Smith, ATL ? White, IND - Wayne). That means 8 of the 12 playoff teams didn?t.

If you consider an elite WR someone who gets a lot of receptions?

3) Only 2 out of the 12 teams that made the playoffs last year had a player(s) make the list of top ten in receptions (AZ ? Fitzgerald and Boldin, ATL - White). That means 10 of the 12 playoff teams didn?t.

What do these elite WR?s all have in common?
    Andre Johnson
    Terrell Owens
    TJ Houshmandzadeh
    Brandon Marshall
    Braylon Edwards
    Randy Moss
    Calvin Johnson

NONE OF THEM GOT THEIR TEAM TO THE PLAYOFFS

Now let?s look at the receiving corps of some of the strongest playoff teams last year and tell me who their ?elite? WR?s are:

TEN ? Justin McCareins, Justin Gage, Brandon Jones
    PHI ? Kevin Curtis, DeSean Jackson, Jason Avant
    PIT ? Hines Ward, Santonio Holmes, Nate Washington
    BAL ? Derrick Mason, Mark Clayton, Yamon Figurs
    NYG ? Steve Smith, Amani Toomer, Domenik Hixon
    ATL ? Roddy White, Michael Jenkins, Harry Douglass

I agree that lots of these players are good solid players but none of them are what you would call ?elite? WR?s. Only three of them broke 1,000 receiving yards (White, Ward, Mason).

2. The Green Dude

The Green Dude 2008 Best Avatar Award Winner

I'd like to see if we would sneak Heyward-Bey in the second round.

But great point.

3. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Who was it that won superbowl MVP again?

4. #1 Jets Fan

#1 Jets Fan Guest

Look at the WR that won and got to the SB plus them both teams had elite QB which we don't so by what ur saying we have nothing.

5. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

a very good receiver.

6. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

I get your point but you still need a #1 receiver who the QB can look to to make a play when he needs it most. A #1 is not necessarily an elite WR, but just a solid playmaker who'll always find a way to get open when the QB needs it.

7. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

I would argue for an elite QB over an elite WR any day of the week, and even then we don't need an elite QB either. But it helps. :)

We do have a hole to address with losing Coles though. We may not need someone elite, but we need an above average wideout. We need someone who can draw some heat and let Cotch and whoever our 3rd is to get some more receptions.

8. tubby

tubby Active Member

He's simply saying you don't need an elite WR to be good in this league. It would sure as hell be nice to have, but it's not the end of the world if we don't have one.

9. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

You have great points here. There is a flip side to this equation though. The Giants lost a chance to go back to the Sb when their elite Receiver got into trouble and the jump in Tom Brady's stats when Randy moss came to town was not by accident. A true number one receiver helps.

10. The_W

The_W Banned

He never would've won it if it wasn't for that final drive where the Cards played a prevent defense. And besides it's only six times that the SB MVP has been a WR.

11. Heavy Metal Thunder

Santonio Holmes...

A guy who only had 7 more receptions than Dustin Keller in the regular season.

A guy who ranked 49th in the league in receptions, 38th in the league in receiving yards and scored only 5 TD's in the regular season.

I think this helps support my point that a #1 WR isn't necessary to be an elite team. HOLMES WASN'T EVEN THE #1 WR ON HIS TEAM.

12. #1 Jets Fan

#1 Jets Fan Guest

Hard Ward will be a 1st ballot HOF so that makes him elite WR...does anybody disagree with Ward going to HOF?

13. JetsFanatic389

JetsFanatic389 New Member

what was the name of that guy who made with winning TD reception for the Giants last year in the Superbowl? also, is it a coincidence that the Giants floundered without him? i think not.

14. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

The threader has some great points. I think the real point behind all this is that on the average a team wins championships and playoff appearances on possession over the middle receivers that produce YAC; not so much speed burners with the bombs away passing attack.

15. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Hines Ward got most of the balls during the season when healthy. When he was injured Holmes stepped up. He's a very good receiver, and will probably be there #1 when Ward is done or starts to slow down.

I think I agree that you don't need a TO/Moss to win but it sure doesn't hurt. There are many ways to win a football game.

16. ........

........ Trolls

Yeah. He makes a great argument for Hakeem Nicks, doesn't he?

17. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

yes

And it was David Tyree who was the real game-winner.

18. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Excellent post HMT. Did you do all the spade work yourself?

19. mj2sexay

mj2sexay Active Member

My only problem with the post is disregarding Hines Ward as not being an elite reciever. Plus as another poster said, both super bowl teams had qb's playing at an elite level. I know Big Ben had a down season but he's a fucking money and a half QB. I don't think we can expect Ratty or Clemens to play on the level of Big Ben or Warner.

20. JetsFanatic389

JetsFanatic389 New Member

Now, let's analyze your "elite" wide receivers list and see how they fare in their teams' wins and losses.

Here are their game averages.

Andre Johnson - Terrible defense, injured QB
    In losses: 5.1 Rec, 47.6 Yds
    In wins: 9.3 Rec, 132.9 Yds

Terrell Owens
    In losses: 4.6 Rec, 53.1 Yds
    In wins: 4.1 Rec, 75.6 Yds

TJ Houshmandzadeh - Terrible defense, no QB
    In losses: 6.5 Rec, 52.5 Yds
    In wins and OT games: 10.3 Rec, 120 Yds

Brandon Marshall - Terrible defense
    In losses: 6.1 Rec, 74.4 Yds
    In wins: 7.8 Rec, 83.8 Yds

Braylon Edwards - Terrible defense
    In losses: 3.1 Rec, 44.1 Yds
    In wins: 4.5 Rec, 86.0 Yds

Randy Moss - NE should have made playoffs
    In losses: 4 Rec, 37.4 Yds
    In wins: 4.8 Rec, 80.8 Yds

Calvin Johnson - Terrible team
    In > 1 score differential games: 5.2 Rec, 77.9 Yds
    In = or < 1 score differential games: 4.2 Rec, 94.8 Yds

No, an elite wide receiver can't carry a team to the playoffs on his back, however he still can be an instrumental asset in winning games as seen by these statistics. We're not even mentioning the non-stat impact elite WRs have: they shift the focus of the secondary to them which can help the other WRs and running game.

#20 JetsFanatic389, Mar 4, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2009