Coles having a hard time finding a taker.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Johnny4, Mar 1, 2009.

1. BigGreenUgly

BigGreenUgly Well-Known Member

Meanwhile, who is going to replace him?

2. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

I suspect Thomas Jones is going to become the biggest whinny bitch on the team now that Coles is gone.

3. Big Poppa Naich

Big Poppa Naich Active Member

4. hoobash

hoobash Well-Known Member

I dont get the love for this guy. All i have seen is a couple of preseason games where he showed promise. Its enough to keep him around and give him a chance but not enough to make him a starter

5. Big Poppa Naich

Big Poppa Naich Active Member

Well, the word is that the front office guys really have high hopes for him.... which is why they had no problem letting go of Coles. Apparently, there are a lot of people who really love this kid inside the organization. I agree with you though, there isn't much to go off.

6. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

It's kind of like the love for Ratliff. A couple of big plays against other team's third string in a pre-season game can go a long way with some people, I guess.

The Jets need to pick up some starter material at wideout, really two people, imo.

7. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

I heard an observation that Coles is waiting for TJ to get his deal and he can get a decent range of what he wants. If Michael Clayton can get 5yr/25mil with 10.5guaranteed, then Coles can get that since he's way better. Anyway, Coles won't get the $6million base salary he was set to receive there...Too big a gamble to take, and he acknowledged that.

8. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

I would love to see Cole get overpaid somewhere else.

9. jetsflyinginjersey

T.J. Houds (from the Bengals) is making his decision on where he wants to go. Anyone think maybe us? I doubt it, but you never know. Maybe he decides to step out of Ocho Cinco's shadow and become a number 1 receiver.

10. afternoondelight

i would love for him to come here............i dont think he is though

11. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Parcells Friday Night

My buddy who is covering Spring Training bumped into Parcells Friday night in Jupiter FL and asked him about Coles being brought in to Miami. He shook his head and replied "Nice Kid, Too Much Money, Done" We weren't sure if he meant "done" to mean career, or just that Parcells was ending the discussion there and then.

I posted here to tell everyone, but the thread I found to relay the news to all was a bogus one announcing a three-year Coles deal with Miami. I guess it was removed after I posted. Too bad, because I thought I had a good scoop. I myself had expected him to sign with Miami and was shocked that he'd walk away from 6 mil without knowing he had a better opportunity. Chad, Parcells and FL seemed to be the perfect trifecta.

I figure the Jets let Coles go with a mutually agreed number in mind that he could come back to should he fail to find more guaranteed money. They probably wanted him to restructure, which he would only agree to do if they allowed him to test the market, which he's doing now. With Buffalo and Cinci looking to be his only options, it isn't working out too well for him so far.

Are the Jets out of FA money cap-room at this point to bring him back? I'd take him back without question. He's been a solid player for us, even with the whining. Stuckey or Clowney gets hurt again and we'll be wishing we still had Coles. Mark my words.

12. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

Word is he'll likely be a Viking. IMO there's zero chance of him becoming a Jet.

13. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

You don't think age has anything to do with that? Clayton has potential and he's young. Coles is in decline and is old with a ton of concussions. A new contract isn't about yesterday, it's about tomorrow.

14. HOI

HOI Active Member

A big part of me doesnt want him back. If he has to come crawling back with a pay cut he's gonna be an even bigger pain in the ass then he already was. Plus even though he is our "#1" I dont think the guys was worth 6M a year.

Its time for him and the Jets to move on. I'm all for taking a WR at #17. Time to look toward the future.

15. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

Maybe all the other teams in the league know he was always overrated, and is only worse of a deal now that he's got a fragile skull and is frequently "quoted out of context"

If anyone is scratching their head on this one....

16. Popeye's Army

Popeye's Army New Member

Coles should fire his agent for incompetence. How he could have suggested Coles would get MORE than 6M guaranteed is beyond me. Unless he already had a deal wrapped up for more under the table, the agent should have told Coles to stay with the Jets. What a dope (as was Coles for listening to him).

17. GreenMachine

Bengals | Frontrunner to land Coles?
    Mon, 02 Mar 2009 05:38:55 -0800

Pat Moran, of Scout.com, reports the Cincinnati Bengals are emerging as one of the top landing spots for free-agent WR Laveranues Coles (Jets). The Bengals are targeting Coles with the anticipated loss of free-agent WR T.J. Houshmandzadeh (Bengals).

Bills | Have made offer to Coles
    Sun, 01 Mar 2009 18:08:40 -0800

Pat Moran, of Scout.com, reports the Buffalo Bills have made a contract offer to unrestricted free-agent WR Laveranues Coles (Jets). Terms of the offer are not known. Coles is expected to make a decision Monday, March 2

18. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

BPN hit it already. The reports are the the FO loves Clowney. We also have Stucky thats seen some time in the system already. This is why I doubt we go WR in the first. We have two young guys with experince in our system that the FO seems to really like.

19. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

The Jets did not have a solid #3 last season, and now Coles is gone, too. That is two down, not just one.

I can maybe see saying Clowney and Stuckey compete for one of the two positions, but counting on them to fill both is far too risky.

I am not saying this means they will definitely use the first pick at wr, but if a BPA wideout shows up for a high pick, I think they make that move, and may well still go FA at wideout.

20. #17 with a bullet

#17 with a bullet New Member

His Step Father would take him in.