Sheppard trade was not needed

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jets12, Feb 28, 2009.

1. pender30

pender30 Member

Exactly right. The risk is very limited and that 10 million dollar bonus should not even be considered right now. It's like Cimini said, we get a one year test drive at 3 million per, and if he's great we pick up his option and he gets a contract similar to what Foxworth just got with the Ravens. And from what I read, we get the 5th back next year if they give up a second or third. Great deal by Tanny.

2. CrackTheSky

CrackTheSky New Member

Bonus points for the use of "precipitous"

I just like the use of the word, "precipitous" in the post. The context gave the meaning but I looked it up anyway. I must say though I don't think I see a clear pattern in Lito that would indicate he has had an extremely or impassably steep decline. I think he fell out of favor with his coaches for various reasons but I just don't see a decline. His skill level seems to be in line with a number two CB, and we clearly needed someone to solidify the position. Lets hope you hope your wrong, saying I told you so about the team you support can't be anything but bitter sweet at best.

3. pender30

pender30 Member

This is a pretty funny quote. Makes it sound like the toughest job in football is playing corner opposite Revis or Asomugha.

http://blogs.nbcsports.com/home/archives/2009/02/jets-extend-lito.html

4. Sinjz

Sinjz Active Member

What if his play fall somewhere between pro bowl and not so well?

BTW, being in for 39% of the plays does not scream 'pro bowl' to me, but that's all he has to do to hit his escalators. And if the Jets renegotiate with him and keep him for less than that $10 mill bonus (I doubt it), do they still have to give up a 2nd?

5. pender30

pender30 Member

His escalators have nothing to do with the bonus. He could make the pro bowl and we could go to the super bowl and we could still not pay his bonus if we didn't want to pick him up for 2010.

Also, the 39% is not the escalator for a second rounder. He needs to play 85% of the snaps AND have the Jets pick up his bonus and extension for us to give up a second. If he plays 85% of snaps and does not get the extension, it's a third rounder. In either case, we get a 2010 fifth rounder back from the Eagles.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/

6. Sinjz

Sinjz Active Member

Not sure why you quoted me then made a bunch of obvious statements like 'he could make the pro bowl... and we could still not pay his bonus...'. What was the point of that? We all know that already. I was simply pointing out that there is a likely realm between pro-bowl and 'sucks so much we cut him'. If he lands there, it's still a good chance we're keeping him. He doesn't have to be a pro-bowler to get that $10 mill.

I also know the 39% play is not for the 2nd rounder, it's a likely bonus for a pay raise to his annual base salary. Notice how I said his escalators. I thought a big part of the argument to giving up draft pick for Lito was because of his contract. Now his contract is no longer a cheap one for us and we are still going to give up multiple draft picks for him. Is Lito really a 5th and 2nd or 3rd round pick better than the UFA CBs like Leigh Bodden? It even looking like Lito will cost more $ wise than most of the UFA CBs.

Cimini makes it sounds like the minimum we'd give up is that 3rd rounder, even if we pull a Vilma, wink and renegotiate thing. And to be honest, with the way Lito has been bitching about his contract the last few years, who really think he'll renegotiate to come back for anything less than that $10 mill bonus and $1.5 mill raise to his base salary. It's a four year, $27.2 million extension [edit: and that 2nd round pick] or he's a free agent. I'm waiting for more details, but I hope that 85% is key for the conditional picks and that Lito plays 84%. :smile:

#106 Sinjz, Mar 1, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  7. pender30

pender30 Member

Sorry, I misunderstood what you were getting at. I thought you were saying the 39% earned him the 10mil bonus. Dude, it's hard to read your posts without getting confused - most of the time I'm staring at that girl's ass.

8. Sinjz

Sinjz Active Member

Hehehe.... no biggie. :) I was referring to the misunderstanding, not... er... nevermind. :breakdance: :beer:

9. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

You are dumb. I bet you hated Jenkins trade aswell. We only gave up a 5th rounder for a two time young pro bowl corner. And it will only cost us $3mil, not exactly what you'd get in FA where even Lowery would ask for more. If he turns on the form, it sure will go up to the third round (2nd will be impossible. We'll play him accordingly).