Sheppard trade was not needed

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jets12, Feb 28, 2009.

1. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

LOLOLOLOLOL!!!

2. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

there obviously isn't... as he said samari rolle was one of them

3. 73klecko

73klecko Member

Its amazing all the simpletons out there. You hear the name Lito Sheppard and you go crazy. Don't let the facts get in the way.

Here they are:

He has not done anything in four years, he USED to be a pro bowler (long time ago). The Eagles obviously did not think he was up to starting because they went out and paid Asante Samuel more than any other CB EVER to replace him. Then Sheppard could not even hold down the nickel job, getting beat out by Joselio Hansen. He is also injury prone.

Bottom line, I think its a stretch to assume he's going to return to his form of four years ago and giving up two draft picks has a lot of value.

4. chris5533

chris5533 Well-Known Member

I don't want to pile on, but i completely disagree, and dont think you cold be anymore wrong,. it was GREAT trade. samari role? how old is he36?

5. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

He hasn't done anything in 4 years?? 4? I stopped reading right there. He's only 27 god damn years old.

6. chris5533

chris5533 Well-Known Member

Thank you/ lol i don't see how anyone is down on this deal.

7. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

I never curse on these boards, but the shit that's gets written by some is fucking ridiculous. Do people realize our secondary is Revis-Sheppard-Rhodes-Leonhard-with Ivy in the nickel. Not to mention Lowery and (probably) Elam to back up. That's the best secondary we've had in YEARS. Fucking YEARS. Everybody who disagrees doesn't know shit about this franchise's history. Sorry, to let my emotions get the best of me, but this is beyond ridiculous.

8. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

He was all-pro in the 2006-2007 season. That wasn't 4 years ago. The only problem I see with Lito is his injury history. If he stays healthy he should be a solid #2 CB at the least.

9. 73klecko

73klecko Member

Simple question. If he was so good why would the Eagles break the bank for Asante and put him on the bench?

10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Don't use logic. People are savoring the first few days of free agency and the fact that the Jets are (again) big players in the market. It's a myth that any NFL team can ever do much better than 10-6. Really the great teams,the ones that make the moves the Jets make year after year, fluctuate between 4-12 and 9-7 most years. You could look it up.

There, I put you in the mindframe that most Jets fans seem to have or slowly acquire over the years as the stupification of the sports intellect by watching braindead FO's and coaches progresses.

11. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

Injury history should be the only issue with this guy. With Revis shutting down the number ones, Sheppard will get the twos. Lowery is a slightly above average backup who's only going to get better with some experience. If Sheppard gets hurt, you end up losing another 4th in 2 years on top of this year's 5th. NOBODY should be complaining about this. If this was last off season, you fuckers would be doing cartwheels, and the take for the Eagles would have been much better for them (a 2nd, maybe, at least a 3rd).

12. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

B/C Samuel is a top 3 corner in the whole league. and sheppard is not. Nobody here is claiming he's even the best corner on this team.

13. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

Umm......He was one of the best CB's in the league in 2006-2007. He had a shaky 2007 and battled injuries (which he has had a problem with since entering the league) and the Eagles brought in Samuel's to be their number 1 and have Lito be the number 2 by beating out Sheldon Brown which most people thought he would do.

Lito wanted a new contract though and I believe got mad over the fact that he wasnt named the starter going into the start of TC and or Preseason and he fought with the FO and Andy Reid all year and was benched and forgotten about because of it.

The guy is a good player when he is on the field and he fits this defense well IMO.

14. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Yeah, it's totally rational to question the trade. Giving up two picks for a corner who is coming off a mediocre year is a lot. But Sheppard has a ton of ability, is only 27, and is clearly better than any CB out there. Personally, I wouldn't have minded Jabari Greer, but Sheppard is a creative option, and he's a good player.

15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Age doesn't mean anything in the absence of accomplishment. Sheppard hasn't been a good CB in several seasons. He was just replaced by a team that knows good defensive backs having had a steady stream of them over the years. The odds that he's suddenly going to become good here again are really low. People don't lose their skills in a vacuum. They lose their skills because something else is going on. Along with Sheppard we just got whatever esle is going on that has caused his precipitous decline.

16. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

who nows what philly is thinking, asante sucks he just gets picks, he gets beat and he's the highest paid CB ever.... personally after seeing that, philly doesn't know what they are doing

17. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

You're right about consistency in this league, but some of you are acting like every fifth and fourth rounder ends up starting in this league for years. There are far more players who get drafted in those rounds that never start a game in the professional careers than those who do.

18. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

we got him for a 5th rd. pick & a conditional next year. If he does well we'd gladly give the pick. If he doesn't we don't lose much.
    While he isn't the player he was, he's still a contibutor. Good move IMO.

19. 73klecko

73klecko Member

I understand how Asante is viewed. I just think if you have two viable corners you don't go out and break the bank for a third. Obviously, they knew something about Sheppard. And I'm calling BS that they thought Brown would be the odd man out, there were trade rumors of Lito the day they signed Asante.

So is he going to want a big contract here? If we don't give it to him, is he going to sulk?

20. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

They were trying to get a first for him last year weren't they?