Bart Scott gives Ravens a chance to match

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Steve032, Feb 27, 2009.

1. bigalxc

bigalxc Active Member

fucking unreal. if scott wanted to be here why would he want to give Balt a chance to match

2. IrishSteveZ

IrishSteveZ New Member

Becuase the NFL is not just about football. Dont take it personal, Scott has a tough agent that was doing his job.

3. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

because maybe the team he plays for isn't the only deciding factor. no, that is too reasonable, that couldn't be it.

he could want to play for the Jets and Baltimore the same amount, so the decision could come down to other factors, like money. have you ever went out to dinner and wanted lobster, but it was too expensive, so you ordered the chicken. same principle -- just because you ordered the chicken doesn't mean you wanted the lobster less, there were just additional factors that influenced your decision.

4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I see Bart Scott has gained his very first cheerleader/Apologist..

5. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

Is it really necessary to hate each other due to our belief in various players or the way the business works?

6. JHTJ

JHTJ New Member

You see how rediculous this looks?

7. JHTJ

JHTJ New Member

I don't understand why everyone is so butt hurt like they're girlfriend is cheating on em or something. His agent is doing his job, that is the nature of this business. The Jets understand it, the Ravens understand it - why can't you guys?

8. JETSFAN1290

JETSFAN1290 Banned

Maybe they never had gfs and dont understand.

9. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

Damnit, stop making fish fans look smart!

10. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

not being an irrational wreck about how he conducts his affairs doesn't equate one bit to being a cheerleader or an apologist, but of course you would have to posses reason to understand that.

11. Cman68

If and when you find a irrational wreck over this, kiss his ass for me. In the meantime, keep on making excuses and rationalizing what you see as fair bargaining. Unless this guy comes in and really proves he's worth both the extra year AND the extra 8 mil, don't count me as a fan. As far as I'm concerned, he really wanted to be a Raven and not a Jet.

12. Cman68

When was the last time this senario played out in Miami? I challenge you to name ONE time its happened after a verbal agreement was made..

13. JHTJ

JHTJ New Member

What's your point? Because this hasn't happened in Miami that I am somehow unable to adress the situation rationally?

I would argue the contrary. This happens every offseason. One could make an educated assumption that it happens to an extent with nearly every desireable FA aquisition with much less press coverage and drama. Bart Scott is not a Business man filling out applications, he is a football player in position to maximize his income based on demand.

14. Cman68

My point is, this is about a verbal agreement being done, in good faith, between an organization and a player's agent that had no validity after it was done. The Player's agent already knew he was going to take this deal use it as leverage? If that's your idea of negotiating in good faith, fine. Just spare me this "happens all the time" argument. You don't accept an offer only to turn it down later. Your only as good as your word and in this case, Lewis either didn't know what his client was thinking or his plan was to play the Jets all along. Its not like Scott hasn't done this before.

As far as rational thinking goes, you're absolutely right. Why should anyone expect honorable negotiations these days? Why would any GM expect an "agreement" to mean exactly that?

Since you're not a Jets fan, I can see how you would applaud something like this. I can't wait to see your reaction should your organization get jerked around in FA negotiations. Then again, Parcells probably would never have allowed this sort of thing to play out..

#274 Cman68, Feb 27, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  15. JHTJ

JHTJ New Member

Fair enough, I was ignorant to the "verbal agreement". My mistake.

Personally I might reserve judgement until something a little more credible than over anxious free agency media reporting is released. However, I was never applauding what happened merely understanding the business side of the sport.

I will applaud the fact that you will remember how this unfolded, while the majority who bitched along with you will completely forgive and forget, starting tomorrow morning.

16. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Whoever gives Bart Scott the most money earns the right to kick him in his ass. I don't mean by making him work to earn the price tag. I mean they specifically earn the right to have an employee kick him in his ass. The guy who get his Gatorade on the sideline or the office gopher physically gets to kick him in his ass. After every game. It has to be in the fine print of the contract or no deal.

Imagine the unbridled joy of a peon: 'Job description: At end of day, kick Bart Scott in his ass. Failure to comply merits immediate termination.' That's almost as good as my dream job of getting paid to think up front page and back page headlines for The New York Post. Almost.

17. rickjet

rickjet Well-Known Member

18. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

19. jcjet

jcjet Member

so true, this isn't the NBA or MLB, the money is not guaranteed either.

20. rickjet

rickjet Well-Known Member