Will Nicks Now Be the Primary Target?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by The Uniform Bomber, Feb 25, 2009.

1. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

in both the draft and on the field?

Unless we acquire Boldin, I don't see how the Jets will pass on a WR in the middle of R1, a perfect spot to draft a WR.

The FO can't feel too confident in an uncertain QB situation, along with Cotchery/Stuckey/Clowney/Smith/Wright as our WRs (or was Smith cut?). Stuckey and Clowney both suffered injuries and are relatively unknowns. Smith and Wright are nothing more than backups. Cotchery is the only legit guy. What else is there to say?

If Rex Ryan adds a few components in FA, and goes with Nicks first, he can then continue to build the Defense in the ensuing rounds.

2. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

They must really like Clowney and Stuckey. And I agree with this.. But IMO WR should be our top target now.

I think Jeremy Maclin may be around, but otherwise I would consider Nicks or Kenny Britt. Seeing all the cuts and holes, a trade down would be ideal, but that's hard to come by.

3. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

The Jets are NOT going to draft a WR in the first round UNLESS they have already traded for a QB. What possible purpose would it serve? A rookie QB trying to throw to a rookie receiver? I don't think so. Neither are none to ever do good in their first year and the Jets STILL aren't rebuilding.

4. The Uniform Bomber

What rookie QB are you talking about?

5. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

I agree 100%

6. ReservoirDog76

ReservoirDog76 New Member

No Kenny Britt will be.

7. Jet21

Jet21 New Member

im happy that you guys have not mentioned DHB yet...Maclin, Nicks and Britt for sure. There are a lot of people infatuated with DHB on this board, and it drives me crazy. We will definitely be able to grab Nicks at #17...but the question is...can we slide down a few picks, and pick up an extra 2nd rounder, or an extra 3rd rounder? Then...we can look at

First Round (WR): Nicks / Britt
    Second Round (CB): DJ Moore / Alphonso Smith
    3rd Round #1 (MLB): Beckwith / Clay Matthews / Jasper Brinkley / J Phillips
    3rd Round #2 (BPA to fill any other hole.

8. Long & Winding Rhode

I think the only WR in this class that can and will make an immediate impact is Crabtree. We all know that he will not be there for us to take at 17. I would not be against taking a guy like Nicks, Maclin (if he's there), Harvin, or DHB but you can't expect any of these guys to be ready to make an impact on day 1. Of these 4 options I would say that My favorites are DHB and Maclin for their size/speed combination. Nicks is more of a possession type and Harvin doesn't have a clear role in the NFL (Reggie Bush type WR/RB/KR?).

Also, regarding your suggested Jets mock, I heard Kiper say today that Clay Matthes has definitely solidified his grade at a first round pick. He won't be there for us in the third.

9. Popeye's Army

Popeye's Army New Member

Middle of the first would be good value for Nicks or Maclin. And Maclin's special teams play also makes him desirable. But to tell you the truth, I'd rather trade down 5 or 10 spots and go for Brian Robiskie.

Robiskie showed in his combine workout that he's got the athleticism to be an NFL reciever with a 4.48, 38 vertical and excellent 3 cone & shuttle scores. His great size (6-3. 209) and pedigree makes him a very interesting player. I think he'll have one of the easiest and fastest transitions to the pro game of any WR in his class.

10. Long & Winding Rhode

From what I've seen, Robiskie has a second or third round grade even after his good combine workouts.

11. The Uniform Bomber

Don, I'm still waiting to know which rookie QB you're referring to, because last I checked, we don't have any rookie QBs on this team.

12. Jet21

Jet21 New Member

really? Jeez...Cushing, and Rey and Clay Matthews both in the first round. thats impressive. I didn't know that. Clay definitely raised his stock this weekend, I just didn't know that much. I always thought Clay was in the shadows of Cushing and Rey so his stock would fall, guess not. that sucks.

13. Popeye's Army

Popeye's Army New Member

Second round and rising. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see the kid sneak into the bottom of the first.

14. Jet21

Jet21 New Member

Yeah I like what I've seen of Robiskie...what do you think of that kid Inglesias from Oklahoma? No one has really talked or mentioned anything about him

15. JetFanInPA

The more I look into it, the more certain I am that I would take Hakeem Nicks at #17 over Jeremy Maclin, Darrius Heyward-Bey, Percy Harvin or Kenny Britt... Do some reading on Hakeem Nicks and you'll understand. I think he's become my top target at #17 even over Maclin.

DJ Moore MIGHT be there, but I highly doubt Alphonso Smith. If teams place get scared off by height, which would be stupid, then MAYBE, just maybe he'll be there. Don't forget there are top CBs under 5-10 such Dre Bly and Antoine Winfield. I'd even trade up for him in the 2nd. I'd like him at #17... Throw in these names for CB in the 2nd if we don't go for one in free agency: Mike Mickens, Jarius Byrd, Sherrod Martin.

Make it Jasper Brinkley... IMO Matthews will be gone by the bottom of the 2nd. Jason Phillips warrants consideration, as does Worrell Williams.

#15 JetFanInPA, Feb 25, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  16. Popeye's Army

Popeye's Army New Member

Matthews is a likely late first / top of the second player. He showed at the Combine that he's got serious athleticism. Ran 4th best for a LB (4.67) at 240 lbs. He has that great football pedigree so coaches know he'll do what's expected of him. Super hard worker. Academic All Pac-10 so he's smart. Matthews will be a joy to coach - no problems.

17. JetFanInPA

Nicks looks like a complete player and I think he's the most NFL ready WR in this draft minus Crabtree. The only problem could be that Nicks and Cotchery give us two starting WRs with average speed. But of course, Clowney and Stuckey are burners with tremendous speed so it evens out.

18. Popeye's Army

Popeye's Army New Member

Worked for the Cardinals. Neither Fitz nor Boldin were ever known as burners. Size and toughness makes up for a lot.

#18 Popeye's Army, Feb 25, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  19. Quack

Quack New Member

Fitz isn't fast? News to me.

20. Jet21

Jet21 New Member