Jets to officially cut Brandon Moore

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by nyjetsrule, Feb 22, 2009.

1. billo83

billo83 Member

Not too long ago, the consensus around here was that Moore was the weakest link on the line and was an average player at best. Now all of the sudden, he is the glue that holds the line together? What gives??!!

2. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

It depends on who you talk to. There are those of us who have thought highly of Moore in the past.

3. Coach K

Coach K New Member

because people who constantly criticized him were wrong.

Moore isnt great but hes definitely better than the average starting Guard in the NFL.

hes that player that grades out to like a B- or a B and is necessarry to keep on your team.

continuity is also something that shouldnt be fucked with given we had two new starters last yr.

the OL needs to be kept together its moreso a factor of, when Moore hits the FA market. he will be the best one on the market, plain and simple. so our contingency plan really sounds like shit unless they plan on going OL in the 1st rd. and we all know that will not happen with all the defensive holes we have.

4. ThreadTheNeedle

ThreadTheNeedle New Member

Completley agree. I didn't even know Brandon Moore had a fan club.

5. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Yeah i'm with you on this. I love all the dead wood being dumped, but this move i just don't understand.

6. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

This isn't a move that can be judged right now. Have to see what they do with the position and who we get to fill the spot.

7. billo83

billo83 Member

True - not everyone hated him. But I'd say there was a strong majority that didn't think highly of him and an even stronger majority that labeled him average at best.

8. billo83

billo83 Member

I'm not advocating the move to cut him. However, I do feel he is average at best. I think playing next to Woody has made him look better than he truly is. So in a way, I can't really blame the FO for wanting to not over pay for him. The best solution of course would be to restructure.

#28 billo83, Feb 22, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  9. tpjets62

tpjets62 Member

I agree with most of this. If they get a FA, how much are they really going to save and what about the time lost for the new guy to gel with the rest of the line? Or do they think Hunter can step in and replace him? He is younger, cheaper, a little bigger and knows our system, but whats the quality of his play? And like you say, if they dont grab a guy in the first part of the draft can you really take a chance on making him a starter? With a strong possibility that we will have a young QB behind these guys, they better have a good plan in place.

10. rudd28

rudd28 New Member

I thought he was great all year, and doing nothing but getting better. I've said this all along, how many big runs did the Jets have on their "Pro Bowl" left side of the O'line??? I don't recall many? How many big runs did TJ and Leon have to the right side of the line with Moore and Woody? A LOT MORE. Obviously someone will want stats on this...And I wouldn't know where to find them, but most of our 15yd+ runs went to the right side. Think TJ against Oakland, TJ against the Broncos, both of Leon's long TD runs were to the right side. I don't have all the game tape to go over, but I watched and re-watched every game this year, and that side of the O'line was dangerous. Now hopefully this is just a reshuffling of contract dollars and nothing more, because we won't get a better right guard for the money, nor will be get a better right guard who can come in and be familiar with Woody and Mangold's tendencies.

11. Johnny Rico

Johnny Rico New Member

Apparently we offered him a restructured contract, and a source called it a "joke". I don't like seeing us give money away to players from other teams. We broke the bank for our FAs last year, before they even played one snap as a jet. Now I'm not saying they were bad moves, they clearly worked out, but we gotta pay our vets too. Otherwise you're gonna hear some grumblings in the locker room about players that have been in the system that are getting spurned for outsiders looking for their next huge paycheck.

Moore is definitely worth the money, we need continuity on the line for once. I hope we're just testing his market value to see if we can get a discount.

12. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Brandon Moore has gone from a borderline scrub to a solid option @ guard.
    My big gripe here is that we are constantly letting our best players go..
    Every year it seems that any player from here who is due any form of money gets cut/released.
    When do we start keeping our best players?
    It's sickening.

13. maynardsmyhero-uk

maynardsmyhero-uk Well-Known Member

When did we let our "best players" go

Rhodes / revis / harris / mangold / leon / dbrick / cotch / ellis

They are our best players imo baker,kendall,moore,vilma,drob,were not

14. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Don't mind 1290. He's a whiny attention graber who has yet to respond for being called out for spreading bullshit excuses in his TJ Housh thread. http://forums.theganggreen.com/showthread.php?t=42544

Unless they plan on drafting a guard I think they are going for Josh Brown in free agency.

Best Interior lineman out there this season. It wold not come as a huge shock.

15. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

Small issue, but Vilma was NOT one of our best players? He was a middle linebacker with 100+ tackles like every year. He did not fit Mangina's idiot system, but he was clearly one of our best players.

16. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Vilma racked up tons of tackles in the 4-3, but was AWFUL in the 34. He was not one of our better players his last two seasons here and continues to be a decent, but not great MLB for the Saints.

17. RedWhiteBlue&Green

RedWhiteBlue&Green Active Member

Following the Kendall dispute, you think the Jets would have learned. OLs need more respect in this league!

18. Popeye's Army

Popeye's Army New Member

I think Moore is an average NFL Guard. Nothing special.

When the talent level next to him was poor (Clement) Moore wasn't good enough to carry that side of the line by himself. So we looked bad.

Now that Woody is at RT, Moore looks OK. And I'd guess he's gotten a little better as time wears on. He was a converted DL so the guy had a lot to learn.

I'd most like to see Moore renegotiate if possible, mostly for continuity. If not, there are lots of good G we can get for less than 7M. A second round pick goes for 500K and could start for us. Maybe Herman Johnson or Duke Robinson. So that would be fine.

19. Long Time Jet Fan

Long Time Jet Fan New Member

A voice of reason. As I said in another thread, he's a guard for crying out loud. He's do a $7M roster bonus and he's not worth it when you consider the Jets have holes at QB (possibly), HB (long-term), WR, DE (twice over), NT (backup), LB (twice over), CB, S, and K (they have none). If I had to choose between giving Moore a $7M roster bonus or filling one of these holes it's a no brainer. Jets have a good line with or without Moore. They can find somebody in FA or draft someone that can fill his shoes. Come on people, we're not talking a Pro Bowl guard here. :metal:

20. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

It's all about the money. They don't think he warrants that bonus and that's that... They have alot of money to spend now and alot on this site are gonna change their opinion of this once they started signing better players.