Cut him, cut the other guy, and cut the backup too.....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Hemi, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

What is the current fad with wanting to cut everyone?

Did the team suck that bad?

2. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

...we cut one mediocre starter -- everyone else was a backup. When free agency starts, you'll see the point.

3. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

I am talking about people on here wanting to cut guys like Coles, Ellis, Moore ect.....

4. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

Well, those guys sucked last year.

It's not like anyone is advocating cutting Jenkins, Mangold, Revis, Leon, . . .

5. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Moore and Baker are gone -- no use in complaining anymore

Coles always causes some sort of drama during the off-season - that's probably what the FO is talking with him about...I hope they trade his whiny ass though.

Shaun Ellis is an aging vet, but he's still serviceable. This will probably be his last season as a Jet.

6. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Get something for Ellis while you still can. He's been on this team longer then anyone and we never won anything with him.
    I'm for this house cleaning. we need to be the "NEW, NEW YORK JETS".

7. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

any solid 3-4 DE's in this years draft we could be targeting early on?

8. ........

........ Trolls

Who is going to trade for Coles and his $7 million cap number? The Lions and Chiefs are the only teams that could use additional receiver help and have huge room under the cap, and Herm's gone in KC. I don't see either team looking to inherit that kind of money for a single season WR, and I'm not sure anyone wants to extend his contract after this past season.

9. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

The Saints, the Seahawks, the Ravens, the Panthers, the Bears, the Jaguars, the Giants, the Eagles, the Niners, the Rams, and the Titans ALL need help at receiver. We're not going to trade him to Miami, so I left them off of the list.

It's combine time - a trade or two is always made.

10. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I don't know about early on - Tyson Jackson is the only guy worthy of being taken in the first round and in my opinion, he'd be a reach at 17.

Jarron Gilbert and Evander Hood are guys that could be options in the second round. With a solid combine, Hood could go late first...but that's a huge IF.

I'm hoping for Chris Canty - I know he's going to cost a lot, but it will be worth it. We'd finally have the ability to rotate players on the defensive line.

#10 Mr Electric, Feb 21, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  11. ThreadTheNeedle

ThreadTheNeedle New Member

All of those teams could be legitimate targets except the Giants

12. ........

........ Trolls

I'd agree on the Seahawks, Panthers (Muhsin can't play forever), Giants, Rams, and Titans. I think the Saints have a decent receiving corps and are over the cap, and the Eagles spread the ball around so much that I doubt they want to pay that much to a receiver, but they do have the money. The Niners don't have the money. Neither do the Ravens, unless a sign and trade is involved. The Jags would have to consider him their only offseason move, and I don't think they have any expendable players we want.

Now, the Titans have 30 million to work with, but they also have to resign Haynesworth, which limits what they're able to do right now per the conversations taking place between our FO and Coles. I still see them as the most likely place. The Seahawks, with all of their injured receivers last season, could make cuts to accept Coles, but they're in position to draft a solid WR early.

13. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

Ellis was the most productive 3-4 DE in the NFL last year based on tackles, assists, sacks, forced fumbles and fumble recoveries.

Yeah, lets unload him.

14. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I love the Big Katt, he has to stay. Come on now.

15. Quack

Quack New Member

You obviously have never brought on the Ditka, and that's the biggest compliment I can possibly give someone on this board.

#15 Quack, Feb 21, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  16. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

of course we want to get rid of all those trouble makers. and yeah we want to draft a 3-4 de in the first round. thats just brilliant. lets spend big money on a guy who is there to take up space and blockers. no we dont really need him to rush the passer, we need him to take up blockers. oh ok that sounds exactly what we are looking for in the 1st round. those high impact blocker eaters. there are lots of them up there too that just want to eat blockers, make tackles at the line of scrimmage and get a couple sacks a year. oh wait they have to be quite large too not your typical 4-3 rush de, they need to be well over 300 lbs being they will be playing inside the tackle most of the time.

yeah yeah thats the ticket, maybe we should trade up for that guy. and then we will unload coles to every team in the nfl because he is so great, oh wait i mean he is such a pain in the ass and over the hill and slow and beaten up and he just isnt good anymore. so what do you have to offer? oh dont worry about the 7 mill thats owed him. thats not a big deal.

i really dont see ellis going anywhere either. i do see him being here one more year. he is more than acceptable at his job and i dont think cutting him does anything for our cap. but i may very well be very wrong on that. i think people just want to see him go because he isnt putting up john abraham numbers, of course they dont realize its not his job to sack the qb anymore. but thats beside the point.

oh yeah and ellis and moore both "sucked" last year.

wow this entire thread has frustrated me. i am going to bed.

17. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

It's called rebuilding. You should be used to this by now since the Jets do it about once every 3-5 years.

18. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Just lettin go of mangini's backups and bringin in his own.

Out with da old in with the new.

19. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

They haven't cut anyone of worth, so I'm not bitching. Personally I'm impressed they're meetin Coles agent to discuss his overpaid fuckin status, you fuckin right.

20. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Ellis, Moore and Coles were not backups.