Jets Plan is Brilliant

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Long Time Jet Fan, Feb 20, 2009.

1. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

For the first time in years I feel we have a really good O line thats only going to get better.
    The one position on the line that does need to be addressed , certainly by draft 2010 is the LG spot. Fanaca would make an excellent mentor

2. maynardsmyhero-uk

maynardsmyhero-uk Well-Known Member

We draft a guard with our 2nd pick and they slot into a very talented experienced oline.

Moore whilst a decent player is not an elite guard!

3. southsidejet

southsidejet Member

Forgive my ignorance here but I don't understand the concept of good guards are dime a dozen. Given the hostility to Brandon Moore before the last season where have all the good guards been for the Jets to pick up and plug in in recent years huh?

I personally have been a supporter of Moore as I watched him play in NFL Europe and got to know him a little so I'm open to bias. He is a converted d lineman and the logic goes it takes 3 NFL years to develop as an o lineman. He seems to have finally gotten where he needs to be and for two seasons had Mangold in his early years on one side and Clement on the other. I think he's earned his respect.

Agreed that his cap number is a tough one and restructuring needs done

But I still don't get the guards are dime a dozen arguements

Cutting him will affect the o line this year

4. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I agree good guards are not cheap or easy to come by, but Moore's huge number against the cap did him in as a Jet. If he does not restructure he will be cut and allowed to test the market.

As far as getting a guard in the draft, chances are we would be able to look at one of the top three guard prospects in the second round, possibly one of the top 5 guards in the third. So it would be an option to draft a yong replacement with one of those picks.

5. ........

........ Trolls

And that's the problem. I was hoping for an OG this year in the draft who could provide depth and eventually step in for Faneca. Getting a top OG isn't a guarantee that he can step in and immediately contribute. Paul McQuistan, anyone? Weren't Raider fans anointing him before his unceremonious benching?

6. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

the problem with the bench press and long armed guys is that it doesn't go together... longer arms= shorter numbers.... its all good, the distance he can keep a defender at, you can fit another guard in that space.

7. YOYOYO

YOYOYO Active Member

Do you forget when they let Kendall go? The line was a disaster till they signed Faneca. The cuts they have made so far have been great but don't let Moore go b/c honestly there is no one better out there and the guards in the draft by all accounts aren't that good.

8. ThreadTheNeedle

ThreadTheNeedle New Member

i saw that in the Star Ledger. I think its pretty accurate.

9. ThreadTheNeedle

This is getting pretty rediculous. I've heard Brandon Moore called our best run blocker and our o-line as the best in the league. Let's get real.

Yes, Brandon Moore was a solid player and a good run blocker.. but our best. I'd put him behind Faneca and Mangold. While Moore may be one of the better guards in the league, he's very replacable. Woody can slide to RG where he's pretty solid and a better RT can be found to take Woddy's spot. The loss of Brandon Moore is not what some people are making it out to be.

10. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

That makes no sense.

Isn't it harder to find a solid RT? Who is going to be the replacement RT or RG if he's so replaceable?

11. ThreadTheNeedle

It makes complete sense. Woody has spent the better part of his career at guard. How easy is it to replace a guy when his replacement is already on the team.

12. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Yeah, then we have an even bigger hole at RT. Who would fill that void? That also further complicates the chemistry issue as Woody has to readjust to RG in the Jets offense.

13. gustoonarmy

Its f'ing around for the sake of it.
    How did TJ get all those yards with a shit RG. I'm not going to go digging , but I'll bet a significant % of those runs were to the right whilst Moore was on the field , someone please back this up

14. ThreadTheNeedle

Ray Willis from Seattle. He's a solid RT and that's his natural position. Woody was a guard for most of his career and now he can slide down to that. As far as chemistry issues... these guys are professional footballl players not a 3rd grade girls soccer team.

15. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

i know that TJs longest run against DEN was because Moore sealed off his side perfectly..

it was the same play that sprung LW on his longest run at TEN.

so Moore has those two plays on his resume.

16. ThreadTheNeedle

jones longest run of the year happened because the Denver safety thought it was a pass play.

Where has the lovefest for Brandon Moore come?

17. gustoonarmy

Its not a love fest , just recognition of a hard working solid guy.
    Pull posts of mine from 2 season ago , if you have the time

18. Quack

Quack New Member

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/...s-jets-linemen/?scp=5&sq=brandon moore&st=cse

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2009/02/jets_to_release_guard_brandon.html

Both Faneca and Mangold can get to the second level quickly but they lack Moore's power. He is the Jets' best run blocker, and if you can't see that then you're getting lost in hype.

from? Well, it came from him being a good offensive lineman. Most of the people expressing their support for Moore have done so in the past as well.

The ones who think he's easily replaced are the same idiots that want every cut player in the league and half a dozen over the hill quarterbacks. Fucking sheep with no attention span, flocking to whatever is new. It's idiotic.

#58 Quack, Feb 21, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  19. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

same here.... when everyone was asking why did he get that contract extension and why is the JAG unknown RG, I was saying he's underrated in how hard he works on that line.

They don't call him "meat" for nothing.

20. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

Moore has been one of the most underrated Jet players for years.