Jets' Ryan not giving up the Gholston ghost

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KBJET, Feb 20, 2009.

1. KBJET

KBJET Member

Jets' Ryan not giving up the Gholston ghost
    February 20, 2009 6:02 PM
    Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Graham

Gholston
    INDIANAPOLIS -- For the second year in a row, the New York Jets expect Vernon Gholston to be an impact player.

Jets fans would settle for barely noticeable.

"I would anticipate Vernon having a big year for us this year," Jets coach Rex Ryan said Friday at the NFL scouting combine.

Ryan was speaking in sparkling Lucas Oil Stadium, next door to a pile of rubble that was the RCA Dome, where Gholston's performance last year infatuated the Jets enough to draft the Ohio State pass rusher sixth overall.

Gholston was a rookie ghost. He recorded one solo tackle and four assists. Of the 23 Jets who made their tackles list, Gholston ranked dead last. He played 15 games, started none and was a healthy scratch in Week 15.

But Ryan sees immense potential in Gholston, a freak of stature who played defensive end at Ohio State and struggled to learn outside linebacker.

"He's the type of physical presence that you look for," Ryan said. "What's happened in the past is in the past. We focus on our future and what's in front of us.

"I can tell you this: Vernon's been working out already. He's been through meetings. He sits with [defensive coordinator] Mike Pettin. Vernon Gholston wants to be an outstanding football player. He's showing a great passion for it. I would anticipate Vernon having a big year for us this year."

Ryan was asked if he would make Gholston his pet project.

"Anybody with ability, we've got to get the most out of all our guys," Ryan replied. "If that means I'm going to take a bigger turn at him, maybe that's factual. That might be a true statement."

09 combine, Vernon Gholston, Rex Ryan, New York Jets

2. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

I refuse to prematurely blow my load over this article. With that said, if anyone is going to light under Gholston's "steriod injected" ass, its going to be Ryan. I think we will see an improvement, but I dont think he will make a serious impact as Ryan stated.

3. KBJET

KBJET Member

yea i just want some type of production out of him. i understand he isnt going to be a pro bowler this year... but a sack or 2 would be nice

4. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

rex must be fired.

5. SnakeTom

SnakeTom New Member

This is a make or break year for Gholston. Either he shows major improvement or the Jets will just have to admit to making a major blunder with that #6 pick. Oddly most of the draft experts were on the money with him. The consensus was "he will be either a big time star or total bust - nothing in between". So far .................

Tom K

6. masivemunkey

masivemunkey Member

Gholston is going to prove to be the ultimate coach up test for Rex Ryan. Physically he's capable of being an outstanding football player so is Rex Ryan going to be able to coach him up into what he is physically capable of? I think so, I don't believe he will lead the league in sacks this year, but I do expect Rex Ryan to coach him into at least a 5-6 sack season and maybe 10+ sacks in 2010 (wishful thinking?). That's if Gholston really has the drive to do it though.

I really don't know if Gholston will ever have the football smarts to be an all around linebacker like Pace though, but that's really not what we need him for, so I'm fine with him rushing the QB every time he's in the game as long as he learns to be damn good at it.

7. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Curious to know whats going on in Gholstons head. I find it absolutely absurd that he will try harder in his second year ?
    What was totally apparent to all , was his lack of enthusiasm and energy. Surely that should be in buckets in anyones rookie season.
    He has a mountain to climb , thats certain.

8. ........

........ Trolls

I'm not sure what else Ryan could have said. Of course he's not going to toss the guy under the bus within a month of coming here and in VG's second season. Still, I'll remain cautiously hopeful that his optimism has some basis in reality. Maybe Gholston's just a "special" kind of student of the game and we'll see some solid improvement.

9. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I'm thinking The Ghost has THIS year to prove himself or be buried on ST's the rest of his Jets career. No way they cut him and have 21mil in guarantees turn into dead money.

10. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

totally agree--and the other thing is gholston didn't show squat on special teams either--Unless he starts showing up, he won't even be a $21M special teamer, he'll be a $21M weekly deactivation.

11. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

He wasn't used properly last year and was learning a new position. I'm not terribly concerned about his awful rookie season.

12. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

I really ( X 10) want him to suceed. I think hes probably a nice guy and loves football.
    I'm hoping like most here that last season was a blip and he can shove some of the harsh things that have been said up our a$$es.

13. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Agreed. He's going to be under an INTENSE spotlight, that's for sure.

Ryan clearly has a lot of expectations already in place, i.e., "I would anticipate Vernon having a big year for us this year," and "Vernon Gholston wants to be an outstanding football player. He's showing a great passion for it."

Gholston is on Ryan's hot seat. Maybe that's good and what he needs. We'll see. Clearly whatever Mangini was doing or saying wasn't motivational or helpful in the least.

14. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Push him onto some train tracks. If he's motivated, he'll run. If he's smart, he'll jump to the side - only not when he's on a trestle with a three foot guard rail hundreds of feet off the ground. :)

15. LoyalJetsFan

LoyalJetsFan New Member

Casper needs to have a big year, or we can file him directly under Dwayne Busterson in the Bust Folder

16. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

sorry to say it but robertson was much better than gholston. lets remember the kid was a pretty decent 4-3 dt.

should be interesting. i sure would like to see him succeed! i think he will be given an opportunity to get his feet wet which he really didnt get a chance to do last year. i am hopeful this cs will find a way to get him a little production. we just really cant have a guy we drafted 6th overall be a complete and total bust that doesnt even start, or even play at this point. thats cap suicide.

17. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

Can't give up on him yet. They're gonna be paying the guy, they might as well try and get something from him. Who knows, maybe Ryan can get him playing.

18. hookteeth

hookteeth Member

He had a ruff year as a rookie, get over it. One year doesn't make a career and everyone knows that to be true. Let's wait and see how he develops this year with a new coach. I know one thing I didn't put much trust in Mangini when he was coach. So let's see what rex can do with gholston.

19. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

Maybe, just maybe, Gholston was overwhelmed last year trying to learn Mangini's sytem, which is so far removed from the way he was used in college... just maybe he was overwhelmed.

His comments reek of a player that lost all confidence. Beaten. Feeling lost.

We often forget these players are kids. I know how immature I was at that age. I made plenty of mistakes and I didn't have anywhere remotely close to the pressure these first round draft picks have to deal with.

I am an optomist. I think Gholston might yet respond. I think Ratliff might be a good QB. I think Ryan will be a good coach. I think Clowney is going to be very good, if he can avoid injury. I think Clemens will be one of the best backup QB's in the NFL.

Call me what you will, but I've been a Jets fan since 1963-64. If nothing else, I am resilient and can take a beating after beating and still come back for more. :)

20. ThreadTheNeedle

ThreadTheNeedle New Member

Rex Ryan's scheme will be a better fit for him. Mangini's scheme was all about read and react but Rex Ryans blitz happy scheme wil benefit him. He gets to use his size nd speed to get after the quaterback now which was what his strength was in college.