Jets Plan is Brilliant

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Long Time Jet Fan, Feb 20, 2009.

1. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

He is definitely worth the money, especially considering he will cost us relatively very little in the years of his contract following 2009. It is just a matter of getting over the hump...he may even be worth the 7.6 or so million he could get paid next season, but we may not be able to afford that.

His current contract only pays him about an average of 3.5 million per year for the next 4 years. If we could bump him up to 4 million per year for 5 years, and guarantee his bonus money, then we'd have a chance.

2. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Longtimejetfan is right, you guys are way overrating Moore.. He had a surprising season back in 2004 and had a bounce back year in 08, but he was god awful 2 years ago (07) and barely serviceable in 05,06.

It's funny how some of the same guys screaming that you could not possibly justify Penningtons cap hit last year of a similar amount. But think that it is ok and worth it in Moore's case - puzzling to say the least.

3. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

Robinson is a first round pick, and might even be gone when we pick at 17. He's easilly the highest ranked OG in the draft. I have my eye on Herman Johnson, 6-7, 268 with our second round pick. He is a beast of a run blocker, but not as good in space. They say he can pancake anyone he can get a hit on, even at the NFL level. He will need to work on his pass blocking, but he's very quick off the snap and crushes people.

4. ........

........ Trolls

Ok, I almost jumped on you for this post, then I did a little fact checking. 268 is SERIOUSLY undersized for a guard. Looks like he was playing up around 400 and dropped down to 364. I don't have much knowledge of him, but if he's as good as you say he is, we could use the depth with or without Moore.

5. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

Yeah quality guards are a dime a dozen. :rolleyes:

#25 GBA, Feb 20, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  6. ........

........ Trolls

That's interesting. He had his best seasons next to Jason Fabini and Damien Woody and struggled next to Anthony Clement. Success along the offensive line doesn't just depend on the components, but the chemistry between them. The right side of our line was solid this season, and a big part of that had to do with Mangold-Moore gelling and Woody falling into the fold. I agree, his cap number is truly, truly unfortunate. I hope to God they can restructure. If not, though, I don't know that paying him would be worse than releasing him.

7. ThunderbirdJet

AGK! Yeah, I screwed up.... typo. He was over 380 at the senior bowl, 386 I think it was, but came into the combine at 368.

I am watching the senior bowl replay right now. Herman is a MONSTER! Or is that a MUNSTER? People disappear unde him. Mayock says he "envelopes" people. He was the biggest infant ever born on record in his home state. His hands are silly huge. Wait till you see his combine numbers... he has a seven fooot wing span.

8. ........

........ Trolls

I'm intrigued, to say the least. The daughter has the TV capitalized with some Wonder Pets right now, but I'll have to catch the replay later.

9. masivemunkey

masivemunkey Member

Most mock drafts I have seen have Robinson going late first or early second since he doesn't really project to a tackle position.

10. ThunderbirdJet

He isn't a tackle... no doubt about that, but I think he will go in the 20 to 30 range. I'd be very surprised he he lasted until the second round. I know most mocks hate to put any guards in the first round, but one was taken at 15 in 2008, one was taken at 29 in 2007 and in 2006, one was taken at 23.

The top rated guard almost always goes in the first round. Hey, I'm not Karnak...LOL... but OG's are always under rated in mocks, happens every year. There is this mistaken idea that a good OG is easy to find. The Jets found out differently in 2007. Hopefully, that lesson is still fresh in their minds. If they want to run the ball, they need a superior ROG.

11. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

not a huge fan of releasing moore, now our line has to gel again... bad move

12. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

The New York Ravens... Thats not a bad thing.

13. ThunderbirdJet

LMAO.... look at these numbers....

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2009/combine/og.html

Herman Johnson- 6'7 1/4", 364 pounds, arm length: 36 1/2", hand length: 11 3/8". I was wrong... his wing span is well over 7 feet. His reps weren't good, but passable.

14. Run_N_gun10

Run_N_gun10 Well-Known Member

Jets could move RT Damien Woody inside to RG & get a better RT.

15. ThunderbirdJet

While it is true, guards ARE easier to find than tackles, and are cheaper than tackles... why would you want to move Woody to guard? It's much more difficult to find good tackles... that would be counter productive. We have a hole at Guard... fill it. A tackle will cost twice as much as a guard, and there are fewer of them. I don't even think Woody is much better on the interior than he is at tackle. Oh, nevermind, I give up.

16. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Bingo.

Bizarre , anyone with this avvy wants to dump Moore
    [​IMG]

17. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

There was nothing genius about anything the Jets have done this offseason. They made some obvious smart moves to help with the cap.

Cutting Moore will set the o-line back for a while even if they get someone of the same quality to replace him. They're probably not going to find someone better unless they draft a guard early and get lucky. Even in that situation the o-line likely won't be as good until they have time to gel.

18. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

Yeah I agree about Moore. But he's gone. The Jets have contacted his agent and said they plan to release him. (http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2009/02/jets_to_release_guard_brandon.html)

19. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Agreed.
    having to 'waste' a pick on a guard is a bonehead move when we already have enough glaring moves.
    Now it appears its going through. DO NOT like this move at all , just hope the other O linemen don't get too upset by the move. From what I've read Moore was a big locker room guy.

20. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Who is supposed to take Moore's spot? Did they bother to think about that one yet? All I can think is there must be some FA they think they can sign. You aren't going to put a rookie there and set everything back 3 years again.