Look out Eric/Brad Smith

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by tomdeb, Feb 18, 2009.

1. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

I'd say it was more about Mangini's knob slobberin of Brad, not a knock on Clowney.

2. Quack

Quack New Member

And most on this board vastly underrate his receiving ability. Tell me: When did he come in last year and not have the play specifically catered to him? When did he come in last year and not have the opposing defense keyed in on this? When did he get to be a receiver instead of LOL TRICK PLAY guy? Trick plays work because you don't expect or can't adjust fast enough to them. For all the complaints people give about Clemens being put in a position to fail in 07', you hear nothing about how poorly Smith was utilized. Look back at 07', and seeing what Smith did as a number 2 receiver, or even the number 1 when both Coles and Cotchery were out - He did fine, because he was playing as a receiver, and not as a gadget player. And if he's doing fine as the #2 and oh dear lord #1 receiver, then imagine what he can do in the slot where he can use his cutting ability more effectively and has a worse corner covering him.

Receiver first, gadget second. Not the other way around. The blame for this rests on the shoulders of Mangini and perhaps Schotty.

The people saying Brad Smith is horrible are the same ones that say that Gholston should play DE in the 3-4 and Coleman is the worst DE in the league because he doesn't get sacks. They're the same ones posting how we should pick up every free agent and cut player that ever existed. They're the ones that say that Wright could be a #5 receiver when he slips every time he tries to cut. They're the ones saying that Brandon Moore, our best run blocking lineman (who gave up just as many sacks as Mangold and D'Brick last season, so he's also at the very worst average at pass blocking), can be easily replaced. They're the ones who think we need more pass rushers, when we were second in the league in sacks halfway through the season (Do you remember when the Jets' defensive playcalling changed?).

Quack no likey people who talk out of their asses.

3. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

For those in the Brad Smith is incredible on ST.

He had 4 KO returns for a 9 yard average in 08

He had 10 total tackles all last season that gives you less than 3/4 of a tackle per game.

When you are shutout you kick off once a game that's 16.

The Jets scored 48 touchdowns and 25 Field goals in 2008.

So out of 89 kickoffs BS was in on the tackle 11% of the time assuming none were on Int/fumbles or punts, and playing the postion on the KO team that is supposed to be making the tackle.

Wallace Wright had 22

4. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I understand your point but he's been with the Jets a few years and has shown no real progress. It's pure guesswork better coaching would make him serviceable.

I think the reason he's been on the team is to run the gadget plays, but they were in fact quite predictable to the opponent. It's like they would run gadget plays now and then to make up for the generally unimaginative playcalling. That didn't work. It didn't.

5. ........

........ Trolls

There's a reason why Brad's back there on KORs, and it's not to return the football. I don't think anyone will dispute that Wright is better coverage man than Smith, but Brad's one hell of a lead blocker.

6. masivemunkey

masivemunkey Member

Didn't Brad Smith make a hell of a play on a onside kick this season? He adds a lot to special teams, not just tackling ability and I agree with Quack in that I don't think he was utilized very well by Mangini. We definitely need to keep him and maybe Rex will start using him properly and get more out of him.

7. JETSFANNYC

JETSFANNYC New Member

I like Brad Smith. I just dont like the way he's used. If he's a special teams player keep him there. Stop lining him up at receiver when we have guys who were WR's in college. Not Qb's converted to receiver who couldnt catch a cold, or get separation from a 90 year old woman. Let him stay on special teams. I'm all for that.

8. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

I don't understand what the problem is of just letting Brad Smith play out his contract. He's an asset to ST and he can make plays when he has the ball in space, plays that other WR's can't make because they lack the shiftiness and vision he possesses.

Let the guy play another year and see what happens.

9. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Is there a purpose to this thread? Everybody is bitching about what Mangini did and last I looked Mangini was fired. Who gives a shit how Brad Smith was used under Mangini?

10. ThreadTheNeedle

ThreadTheNeedle New Member

exactly... he's not even the best special teamer on the roster. He makes above the league minimum so you might as well cut him and sign someone who can do the job just as good as he can for less.

11. ThunderbirdJet

It's called roster limits. There is a log jam at WR.

Do you really think that Smith has more ability to play in space than Clowney or Stuckey? What shiftiness and vision are you talking about? Has Smith ever made a highlight reel for breaking a long play? I must have missed it.

Smith is a good ST guy. He isn't a good WR, he isn't a good QB, he isn't a good RB. He can play those roles, but doesn't do any of those things very well. When a guy like Smith keeps a potential game breaker WR like Clowney on the inactive list, it's time to cut bait.

This whole idea that Smith is somehow irreplacable because he's a good ST's player is silly. He isn't even the best ST's player on the roster, Wright is.

Let the guy go play for Mangini in Cleveland and see what happens. We have already seen what happenes here, and it aint much.

12. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Do you remember what our ST coverage units looked like the one game Brad Smith missed last year? Awful. He's also been the guy to spring leon for KO TD's at least a couple of times with big blocks. We don't want to lose this guy, and ST players of his caliber are hardly a dime a dozen. He would certainly be missed if let go.

You need stars on ST too, it's a very important aspect of the game.

13. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

14. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

A role that could be better filled by a Fullback.

15. forge289

forge289 New Member

Agree completely about Carroll.

16. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

We have a log jam and yet people are saying we should draft a WR. So if we cut Smith and draft someone like Nicks, then we'll still have a log jam at WR and either Clowney or Stuckey still won't see the field.

If you go back two years to when the Offense was terrible, when Smith saw some action as a WR, he had 32 catches, 325 yards, avg. 10.2, with 2 TDs. Pretty pedestrian numbers, right? That same year, Cotchery had a breakout year with 82 catches, 1130 yds, 13.8 avg, and 2 TDs. Coles had 55 catches, 646 yds, 11.7 avg, and 6 TDs (although he only played 12 games).

The point is, for how bad Smith is at WR, he has the ability to play. How can you not remember seeing any plays where he picked up first downs, or made defenders miss in space? I can't specifically cite them, but I do remember that happening.

And I'm not saying he's irreplaceable. If it came down to drafting Nicks and saying goodbye to Coles to give the other guys (Clowney and Stuckey) a chance, along with Cotchery and Keller - and keeping Smith as depth and for STs - then I'd be all for it. But that's not the case.

If it's not about money, then keep Smith around until after the draft until we know if we're getting another WR, one who'll start and make a consistent contribution. If not, then what happens if we cut Smith then, say, Coles and Clowney go down this year? The starters become Cotchery/Stuckey/Wright?? In that scenario, I'd like to have Smith. And that's not too unrealistic because every WR we have (except for Cotchery) has missed significant action due to injury, with Coles' brain this close to becoming mush.

#36 The Uniform Bomber, Feb 19, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  17. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Ed--I respect your opinion but I did LOL when I read your part about needing Brad Smith to put hits on defenders AFTER THEY INTERCEPT THE BALL--A team is not exactly bursting with confidence if you keep an offensive player (Smith) on the field/team so that he can tackle the DB after the inevitable interception. Also. speaking for myself, I don't "hate" Brad Smith--He is not A WR, though, and we have tried him there for 3 years already without much success.

18. neworderdude

neworderdude Member

stop being a Smithist :D

19. ThunderbirdJet

First, I am definitely not one of those that think we should draft a WR at all this year. As we know, we can't cut Coles even if we wanted to. If he WERE cuttable, then I'd be open to going WR even in the first round.

You bring up a good point... Keller bolsters the recieving corps substantailly. I just think that if we ever did get hit with WR injuries as badly as you suggest, there are better WR's than Smith out there that could be plucked from other team's practice squads.

I've seen Smith flash some skills at TC, but that never translated out to getting it done in real games. He doesn't have the speed to seperate. If the Jets draft a backup RB to Jones, Leon can also play WR better than Smith can. We also have that tall kid, forget his name, the 6-3 or 6-4 WR on the practice squad.

If Smith could play some DB, I could see keeping him. I just think that we really need to get Stuckey and Clowney on the field more often. I wish that cap constraints didn't prevent us from trading or letting Coles go. I agree, he is one hit away from regular visits to Chrebet's doctors for concussion problems. I have to beleive that for once, Clowney doesn't get cursed with any more serious injuries this year.

I don't hate Smith, I'm not adamany about cutting him, but I beleive if the choice is between Clowney and Smith being active, I vote Clowney, and I think that is what it boils down to.

20. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Yeah, Brad Smith needs to be pressured by the new coaching staff and either sink or swin. Either you become a # 3 receiver or get rid of him. THis ain't high school