Look out Eric/Brad Smith

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by tomdeb, Feb 18, 2009.

1. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Here's one post to forewarn that new coach Ryan likely won't tolerate the poor play of some of Mangini's pets from the last 3 drafts. Two of whom come to mind for me =Eric Smith and Brad Smith. Mangini had tried to convince himself for 3 years that they were wise picks, but neither has distinguished themself. Brad Smith never separates from coverage and has bad hands. Eric Smith makes every TE he "guards" look all-pro. Gholston talk aside, I think some of the other underachievers won't have it so easy with a coach who wasn't part of the draft decision to take them. Just my opinion.

2. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

Brad Smith is getting paid peanuts to be a special teams ace who can also play a little backup WR/RB/QB.

I don't see why he would be cut.

3. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

it's called 'peeing on a fire hydrant'. dogs do it. rex will do it too. this will be HIS team, come hell or high water.

anyone player NOT drafted by MrRex will be very sore OR very much bagging groceries (paper or plastic? baggers can't be choosers).

4. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Exactly. If you cut him, you'll have to sign someone else for the roster. He's worth what he gets paid. Barely above the minimum. He is getting better every year and Im hoping he has a 500 yards season.

5. JETSFANNYC

JETSFANNYC New Member

I fucking hate brad smith. I hate the fact that he cant catch a ball, i hate the fact that the moment he's in the huddle, opposing teams know the ball is going to him, thus can prepare. It could be poor use by coaching staff, but why cant we ever see an option pass from him. I haven't seen him throw one ball, when we entered the draft as a QB.

Sure he's a great special teams player, but stop lining him up at receiver when you got Stuckey, and Clowney, who are "real" receivers.

#5 JETSFANNYC, Feb 18, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  6. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

The problem with B Smith is that he keeps Clowney on the game inactive list. Clowney heeds to get some touches.

7. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

You are exactly right and that was one reason I started this thread--We keep decent receivers on the inactive list or bench while Brad Smith lines up at WR and coudn't catch a cold. The fact he is making squat for salary should have nothing to do with whether you keep/play him--Special teamers are a dime a dozen, and the jets need to play decent Wrs, not projects (for the 4th year in a row!).

8. brothermoose

Sounds more like David's problem than Brad's.

9. brothermoose

Again, that's not a good argument for cutting him, just a good argument for him on the bench/inactive list. Still see no reason to cut him.

#9 brothermoose, Feb 18, 2009
  10. Firemangini Ed

Firemangini Ed New Member

Hating Brad Smith is ridiculous. He is great on special teams and plays hard. I love the hits he puts on defenders after they intercept the ball and I love watching him run with the ball in his hands. His athletic ability is equal to that of a top 10 WR. He gets paid pretty close to the NFL minimum, cutting him wouldn't really save money unless you want to go with a 51 man roster. I think he gets paid around $200K more than the minimum, that's not going to push the Jets over the top. Having a high effort guy on the team is good thinking, effort is contagious and lack of effort is contagious. How often do Jet fans complain about not having a tall receiver or a fast receiver? With Brad Smith you have both. Of course he does need to learn the position, maybe thats why one of the first things Rex Ryan did was replace the old WR coach, Noel Mazzone with Henry Ellard? Lets see how Brad does with a PROVEN wide receiver coach. And according to the wikipedia Noel Mazzone still hasn't gotten another job, wow he's that good.

11. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

when you can do a number of things even below average and special teams above average you tend to stick around in this league. i agree with the above poster that its more of clowneys problem than it is brads. fact is clowney is a 3rd if not 4th wr and there just isnt space for him when you have a guy who plays that same role but also plays VERY well on special teams.

maybe clowney should stick out this year on returns and coverage of kicks.... then it would all be put to rest. however i assume he has not done that yet.

12. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Many on this board vastly overrate Brad Smith's Special teams ability.

He is in the good to slightly above average, he isn't even close to the level where the word "great" should be uses.

Bottom line is he is very replaceable.

13. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

you don't value special teams enough.

it's not special like special ed - it's special like field position is one of the most important parts of the game.

14. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

I value Special Teams way more than you think I do, I just disagree with the assessment that Brad Smith is a great special teamer.

15. rillo

rillo New Member

I'm in the 'keep Brad Smith camp'

16. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

Bingo!

Clowney needs to get on the field this season.....but i also think Brad Smith is valuable to the Special Teams unit...so cutting him, IMO, would be a mistake. I think the odd man out should be Ahmad Carroll.

17. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Perfectly said. Between Smith and Wright there shouldn't be anyone running back kicks on us. He's cheap, he's versatile, he's athletic, and he can hit. Even if he can't get separation or run a route properly he's still an x-factor teams have to prepare for. Cutting him doesn't make a whole lot of sense right now.

Nevermind. http://forums.theganggreen.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10

#17 CatoTheElder, Feb 18, 2009
  18. jetsyankeesfan6

jetsyankeesfan6 New Member

It is my opinion that any great athlete can be great at special teams (covering) if they have the motivation. The problem with most guys is that they view special teams as a wasted play and are just in there to keep the game moving.

19. rhodesfan16

rhodesfan16 New Member

yeah that news comes as something of a surprise

20. Jet21

Jet21 New Member

well, who would you replace him with for the same salary?