Brett Ratliffe and Exciting Young Jets Players.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by gustoonarmy, Feb 15, 2009.

1. RevisCB

RevisCB New Member

God i hate how some people live to be pessimistic..............................

2. Gunther

Gunther Member

So true
    I hear more excuses for our underperforming QB than anything else
    Clemens received enough opportunities.

3. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

enough opportunities? like playing behind the worst o-line in football, with absolutely no running game to speak of? those types of opportunities? Let's forget that he played well and won a few games, and would've won at least another (against Baltimore, no less) if it wasn't for 3 dropped TD passes (McCareins twice, Coles once) in the 4th quarter.

I, for one, really want to see what this kid can do behind a capable o-line, and with a run-oriented offense.

4. snipes824

snipes824 Member

agree completely. clemens hasn't been given a "real" opportunity yet. now we have a great o line, a good running attack, no mcarreins, he had a year to learn under favre and another year in the offense learning the plays and such. i am excited to see clemens this year.

5. tpjets62

tpjets62 Member

No excuses for Chad or Clemens needed that year. Our OL stunk, no running game, Coles was banged up. Our offense flat out stunk and the change in QB's did little to change it. I really dont know (no one really does) if Clemens or Ratliff can pull this off but they deserve a chance. Clemens deserves a "real" opportunity, behind a good line, a good running game, with some good receivers. We have all those plus Clemens has an additional year in the system. If he cant beat out Ratliff then he doesn't deserve the job. Im not really sold on any of the Qb's in this years draft or the FA market. Who knows, they both could stink it up or we find we have our guy right here on the roster. But they gotta play so we can see what we have.

6. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

Ratliff love is spreading

7. Chrisp22

Chrisp22 Active Member

Bring on the young guns and let them fight it out to impress the new head coach. Like Harpua stated, if a quality college QB is there for the taking in the draft, the Jets would be silly not to take him.

I for one am very interested to see Ratliff with a first squad. I want to see how he reacts to first team game speed. I want to see him react to getting his brains beat in on a big hit.

A already saw Clemens through this. He came out "okay" for his first bout with the big boys. Did some good things, did some not so good. Did not have the "feel" of his pocket breaking down. But let's face it, that pocket broke down alot.

Should make for an interesting camp.

8. Heavy Metal Thunder

The problem with making a case for Ratliff based on his preseason performance...

THE LIONS WERE UNDEFEATED THIS PRESEASON

The coaches will see him make hundreds if not thousands of throws in training camp. The coaches will make their decision based on their entire body of work. And as good as those two throws to Clowney were, they will be seen as exactly that... just two throws.

9. RevisCB

RevisCB New Member

At the same time HMT, if you listen to any Jets coach/scout talk, they love the guy, you just have to listen to one interview by anyone who see's these guys on a day to day basis to know the organization loves this kid. So don't just think we are basing everything on those 2 throws. It is based on what we have seen from pre-season and from his college days at Utah, it's based on his attributes that could be developed, and it is based on feedback from scouts and coaches who seem to love him.

10. forge289

forge289 New Member

i sense that many people are making arguments for one or the other based on the wrong reasons. people were excited about ratliff because he showed that he has a cannon, that he looks comfortable in the pocket, and because it was a pleasant surprise that he did ANYTHING this preseason. people are arguing for clemens because he looked alright while playing with a shitty offense after CP got pulled last yr, and people think he deserves his shot. other people say BR doesn't deserve his chance because he didn't prove himself against worthy competition; similarly others say KC's performance last year was not good enough to seal the deal for him despite the lack of talent around him (and because of his poor camp). these arguments don't provide nearly enough information to give us a decent conclusion on either side. this dispute will only be resolved once we see how these guys show up to camp. All things being equal, let the men themselves figure out who starts. It will settle the arguments about Ratliff not playing against (or with) first stringers, and it will settle the ones about KC having nothing around him. I think both of them have tremendous potential to be quite honest. Not sure if BR is quite ready to be going head to head with the best defenders in the NFL, but he will get there I suspect. This is getting long. Football withdrawal gets the best of me.

#50 forge289, Feb 16, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  11. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Its not just about what he did in pre-season last year , its what hes accomplished thus far.
    Undrafted QBs never make it as #1s in the NFL......hmm , thats not true is it?
    Even Rattys build is more suited to the NFL than KCs diminutive stature. At 6' 4 and 235lbs , I'm sure hes more than capable of taking some shots.
    I'm all for having the BPA starting next season , but what does it do for a QBs morale and confidence , when you have to compete for your job , rather than have coaches make an early decision which shows confidence in that player.
    Surely the CS know who can do what by now?

Interesting vote here , Gang Green Dream

Who do you want as quarterback of the Jets next season? http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...9-02-12_ratliff_can_be_brett_the_jet_too.html

#51 gustoonarmy, Feb 16, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  12. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

There's no way either guy has earned the right to be named starter at this point. Hopefully one of them will be clearly up for the job through training camp, but I wouldn't expect a starter to be named until the third pre-season game. Any earlier than that will be a bonus.

13. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

See , for me thats too late. Yes its an ideal way to find out which QB is the better suited to start , but I would prefer to start post TC with the CS coming out and saying , yep , ______ is the man for us and work on his confidence.
    I'm 99% certain , that if we don't draft or aquire a FA KC will start , just due to the fact he was back up to Favre.
    Joe Willie has indicated that he likes Brett R alot , and hasn't made too much noise over KC. I'd be interested to hear who Brett F rates the more too.

14. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

O'Brien had his best year...when he was sacked 62 times....62 sacks. That is no sissy.

15. tpjets62

tpjets62 Member

Agreed, I wouldn't just hand the job to either one of them. But, I would let them battle it out in TC to see who gets the job. I would prefer that its decided before pre-season. I would prefer to use those 4 games to get everything into rhythm rather than the first couple games of the regular season. If Clemens wins, he's been on the field before, so i'm not too worried. But if Ratliff wins, those 4 games will be will be needed to get him a good feel for game day.

16. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

And i hate how people always assume a player on another team is always the better option.

17. Gunther

Gunther Member

Considering Clemens time so far in the league, a QB competition with an undrafted rookie free-agent speaks volumes about the confidence the Jets organization have in him.

I think the Jets really screwed themselves here. A team that has no idea of who there QB is going to be is going to have a hard time winning games.
    I don't have any numbers but I can't think of any team that has had that as an issue ever do well. I don't think history is on our side
    The QB position is so important and for that issue to be up in the air is not good news.

I believe the Jets are going to have to get real clever in the Draft or FA.

18. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

I don't think O'Brien was a sissy at all, he was extremely tough, just not very clutch or improvisational. If he didn't have blocking, McNeil and Hector behind him, Toon and Walker dominating, he was average. Chad found ways to win no matter the circumstances, except for the one bad half of a season, whether he beat you passing, with a little jelly-leg move, drawing you offisdes, whatever. He finished seasons better and won playoff games, too, O'Brien never did that.

19. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Ratliff is going into his third season with the Jets so he isn't a rookie.

Maybe it speaks more to the progress Ratliff has made than to how well Clemens is doing. Remember Ratliff progressed from barely being able to call a play in the huddle in his first season and nearly being cut to playing very well in training camp and preseason last year. He made tremendous strides in his development.

20. RevisCB

RevisCB New Member

Absolutely, and our management has recognized that. They told him what he had to work on, he went away, worked on them and now we are giving him a chance to compete, i like the way this was handled. I also like his attitude. The bottom line is, i think what we have now is as good as what we can possibly get from the draft.

:beer: