Brett Ratliffe and Exciting Young Jets Players.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by gustoonarmy, Feb 15, 2009.

1. RevisCB

RevisCB New Member

So if we are not willing to give him a chance based on pre-season performances, how is he going to ever get into a NFL game? get him in based on good pre-season, if he performs, brilliant, if he doesn't, then it's not like we are sending Clemens to Siberia, he will still be here.

2. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

He will get his chance again in camp. But people are basing him starting on just a few good games last year.

3. RevisCB

RevisCB New Member

Sure most agree that a open competition is best, i personally believe that Ratliff will win it, but most are just saying start them off on equal ground and then see where it go's.

There seem to be more people here dismissing him completely, rather than people anointing him savior.

4. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

I don't know, I still beleive in Clemens, but if Ratliff beats him out, so be it. I hope he has a great career for the Jet, whoever the starter is.

5. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Its not as if the reasonable people want him shipped out. We are just not placing all our cards in the Clemens/Ratliff corner. I would not mind seeing one of the two of them winning the Job, but would love to bring in a top flight QB if we have the chance to draft one. The People placing huge praise on Ratliff based on a very limited viewing are just over reacting and being shortsighted.

6. RevisCB

RevisCB New Member

I completely agree, i have even suggested drafting QB's throughout topics on this forum. Like you i would love to see either one of the guys we have get it, but if the opportunity presents itself, we have to do what's best. However why not be impressed with Ratliff, he still has to hit those open guys, in stride, he has good physical attributes, not anointing him second coming, but there is also possibilities there.

7. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

+1

With what we have right now , and we don't go out and aquire anyone else , (which I think we will do) I'm happy to see KC and BR battle it out.
    I'm really out of toucj with NCAAF at the moment, but in another thread Josh Freeman is another I would love to see in Green and White.
    Personally I think we will see one of BR or KC start with a back up vet , but who would do that ?

8. gustoonarmy

Randy lange says on the NY site

9. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

I'm excited to see what Ratliff can do. Give him and Clemens both a shot to compete and play the better guy, I don't know what anyone is afraid of by doing that.

Regarding O'Brien and Chad, O'Brien had the physical tools, Chad was a better overall QB, in my opinion, and I was a huge fan of both guys. If I had to win one game I'd start Chad.

10. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

He does hit the open guys and I do not hate him. He's a undrafted QB who may be good. If he becomes a starter for the Jets I'm all for it. I just would like ot see him do more then hit a couple open bombs and win the job before I get all excited. :up:

11. gustoonarmy

I wish I could find more vids of him , but I can't.
    What intrigues me about him is that when hes on the field , his reads (limited as they have been) have been spot on...and the feel I get is that he wasn't a Rookie........hard to explain. Its not wishfull thinking , I honestly think this kid has the tools.

12. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I am not kidding. I saw both play and found Pennington to be better.

See Italian Seafood's post. I agree with him that O'Brien had the better physical tools. That was it. Pennington was better everywhere else. Pennington was smarter, a better leader, and was not a sissy.

13. coloradojet

coloradojet Active Member

Here is a great idea. Since preseason doesn't mean anything they should just skip it and go straight into the regular season.

14. coloradojet

coloradojet Active Member

So then they should cut or not start the players that do well in preseason and start those that didn't do so well.

The problem with Clemens was that he did not continue to play well once he became the starter. He throws the most wobbling ball I have ever seen for an NFL QB and that's why he gets a lot of drops.

Let's give Ratliff the same chance Clemens got and then we will know how he performs with the first stringers before we say he can't play. The guy has shown that he has a great arm and has accuracy and poise.

No matter who you pick in the draft, you are going to have a QB who played with second or third stringers caliber players like Ratliff did. So why is it OK to spend millions on a college QB and not give Ratliff a chance? Did he earn the right to compete for the starting job?

15. RevisCB

RevisCB New Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkAAH-JbtCI&feature=PlayList&p=FCB8F004C0C2F9ED&playnext=1&index=51

This is Utah Utes v San Diego State in 2006. Ratliff is number 15, and there is a fair bit of coverage on him and his throws/runs.

16. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

I don't particularly like this year's crop of QB's besides Stafford. I am pleased to hear that the Jets will go with these three young QB's.

Ratliff ahsn't shown anything to indicate he can't play in the NFL, but he hasn't come near to proving he can either. He seems to have the tools for it. He has good pocket presence and can "sense" pressure without getting happy feet.

Clemens needs to improve on his mechanics and stop throwing so many wobblers, but he's a smart kid, and has never played behind an O line that offered him a chance to suceed.

Ainge I know little about, but honestly I don't know that Sanchez is a better prospect than any of these three. To me he has less talent than Warner's backup in AZ does...

Lets see what these three bring to the table before we go off feeding a 4th mouth, a 4th mouth that will take a big chunk of the salary cap entree if he is a first round pick.

17. gustoonarmy

Very nice find !!! Thankyou.
    If he made a decent throw , its hard to tell as all the WRs were open :rolleyes:
    lol @ the title track , Rat in a cage

18. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Thats just it Harpua, this years crop of QB's is 2 or 3 deep at best. The rest would be just as you said, a reach.
    I'd be much more comfortable improving our defense and riding the wave with Clemens/Ratliff/Leftwich, then any of the QB's in this years draft.
    We all know it's DEFENSE that wins championships.

19. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Go back and look again. In both cases Cloney destroyed the coverage and slowed down to adjust and put the ball "in stride". He was running away from the coverage both times and slowed down both times to take the ball. Nothing wrong with the throws they were right were they should have been based on the coverage. Had the coverage been on Cloney they may not have been "In Stride"

The argument in those video's is just as strong for Cloney to be our No. 1 WR as it is for Ratliff to be the starting QB.

#39 winstonbiggs, Feb 15, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  20. God I hate how attached jet fans get to ANY qb that puts on the uniform