Favre fans....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Quinnenthebeast, Feb 11, 2009.

1. XGBer-Moving_On

XGBer-Moving_On New Member

Well said.

If 50% of us approached our first (in my case both first and second) marriages like we "ought to approach our fandom" for our birthright NFL franchise according to the sentiment on this site- i guess we would as a society get rid of that pesky little social issue called divorce. It's just that one day (in August of 08) I woke up and looked into the beedy steely cold fish Ted Thompson eyes of my beloved and said; "you're just not the same NFL franchise that I fell in love with, I don't know you anymore"; (followed up by the obligatory) "it's not you (like hell it 'aint! I thought) it's ME!!". The next day my bags were packed. It was really somewhat easy. Then again, I got practice.

On that note- I like Tannebaum (and Woody) even though I wish he were more of a "football OPS guy". I thought it was cool how he (and Woody) waited outside the locker room after NE victory and greeted players. "F*** Yeah!!". He is no doubt a fan over a heartless cold lawyer.

I like the Jets, always have- I dissappeared for a long while, but I'm back. In the early 70's the Jets were everything and always on the tip of Cosell's silver tongue. I doubt I still have my letterman Jets jacket from my school days growing up in Minnesota. And I wish I had a photo- I imagine that I look like a dumber Fred Savage from the Golden Years. I met Ewbank while in college at Miami University in Oxford, OH where he lived in retirement. Wonderful and knowledgeable man from a football history standpoint

Cannot change my screen name so it will have to do. Bad planning on my part.

Until I post again or offend, peace on the message board.

#61 XGBer-Moving_On, Feb 15, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  2. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

You can change your screen name just PM the mods.

3. XGBer-Moving_On

XGBer-Moving_On New Member

Thanks I'll try

4. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

There isn't a Jets fan on this board that doesn't eventually feel like that after every Owner, GM, HC, QB fails to get them to the Lombardi trophy. :smile: Most of us just tend to go on living with it.

5. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

I'm glad you changed your name and no offense but..

that's the worst name ever.

6. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

They also felt the need to embarase Cleon Jones for an off season digression. It's not a coincidence that the Jets were treated badly by the Mets as tennants. The Mets had a great fan base of former Giants and Dodger fans and never had to build anything to make money. It's not surprising that they pissed all over Seaver, Jones and the Jets. They took a lot for granted by living off of a pre built fan base.

The Jets fans base was actually built on a very creative management team and unfortunately hasn't been the same since Mr. Werblin left the scene. If you look at the great NFL franchises many of them are still being run by the same families.

7. Bizprof

Bizprof New Member

When did Jets fans become such holier than thou pricks? Who gives a fuck if they jumped shit to the Jets and why? Welcome them as new fans.

Just because you guys are retarded enough to root for an epic failure of a team, that doesn't give you the right to define loyalty or to judge others.

Want to know about true loyalty? Ask a combat veteran. Otherwise get off your soapbox and shut the fuck up. Its a game.

8. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

We are not retarded fans we're mentally challenged.

9. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

You are missing the point entirely.

I don't care WHY you became a Jet fan, as long as you ARE a Jet fan...cool.

The quote you highlighted, however, was from a line of reasoning that is calling bullshit Burt fans to task. Those people are not Jet fans, they're Burt fans, and deserve all the ridicule they get while trying to pose as Jet fans.

You appear to be the one on a soapbox here...just sayin'.

10. jigglebilly

jigglebilly New Member

Wow thanks for defending us packer fans. :)

11. Long Time Jet Fan

Long Time Jet Fan New Member

There's was an article several years back (I can dig it up if people want) that nailed fan loyalty. It basically went something like this:

1. If your home town has a team your pretty much have to root for that team. You can't live in New York and root for the 49ers.

2. One of the few exceptions to that rule is if you have a favorite player. Then you are allowed to follow that player and root for their team. Hence the Favre fans were justified in rooting for the Jets.

3. If I recall the only other good reason for not rooting for the home team is if they do something that is incredibly stupid and that pisses you off. So if the team kicked you out of a game because you were obnoxious and drunk, you can now root for another team. Or if they traded your favorite player you can root for another team.

So what this implies is that the Favre fans were not really Jets fans, but Favre fans. Now it might be that a few of them became attached to the team and will stick around. But for the most part they are gone because they really never had a true interest in the team. That's okay, let them go back to their hometown team or their new favorite player. :beer:

12. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

I've never seen a bigger deal made over nothing....well maybe I have before.. but anyway, it's an issue that will solve itself for the most part. Most of these fans are likely to fade away now that he's retired... couple of them might end up sticking. Nothing wrong with rooting for another team. The Jets come first for me, but once we are eliminated, or when it doesn't count against us (or sometimes even for us), I actually enjoy following a couple of other teams in the league... like the Packers. Not that I would ever call myself a Packer fan... I'll always be a Jets fan - period. But still, I think the lot of you are being kind of hard on folks.

But then again, I've seen members on this board devour their own when things go bad too, so maybe it's just another day in the loony bin. :lol:

13. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I honestly became a Jets fan because of Wayne Chrebet and Curtis Martin and their good 1998 season. I mean the reasons that you are initially attracted to a team usually has nothing to do with the laundry (although green happens to be my favorite color). My friend likes the Vikings because he loves the color purple and picked them when he was little, not exactly a great reason, but hes extremely loyal to them. My other friend likes the Colts because he likes their playing style, which is kind of a stupid reason to like a team. All I'm saying is that who cares what the motives are, if you're willing to be diehard about the Jets, then you are a Jets fan in my eyes.

14. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Does that make you a retard? You're posting here too aren't you? Also, maybe to you it's just a game but to alot of us here it is a pasttime which features a code of ethics that only true fans follow. I stand by this and there's nothing you can say to change my mind. Wagonhopping is blasphemy.

15. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

Hey, Mary Mark, 227 IS a combat vet. This man jumped off of more helicopters in Vietnam than Favre played in NFL football games. You really put your foot on your mouth, and a stick up yer rear with that idiotic comment.

For the life of me, I also can't understand jumping ship from one team to another because of an individual player. It's pathetic. So are you.

16. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

agree totally with this.

my first sports love was the new york rangers and of course mark messier. i was about 6 or 7 when they won the cup. i still have a huge messier poster in my room. i loved to watch the guy play. he then left for the canucks, the same team i watched him defeat to bring a Stanley cup back to new york. i hoped messier would do well in Vancouver but it never crossed my mind to stop being a ranger fan.

17. onefanjet

onefanjet Well-Known Member

Well, I don't know about #1 anyway. I have watched our beloved Jets since as a little kid i didn't even understand football. I vaguely remember my grandfather and father taking my to Shea in one of the colder winters I can remember, to see Joe Willie and the NY Jets. I have now lived in West Central Florida for 30 + years now, I have endured mocking, taunting and generalized hatred when those around me have learned that I'm still a Jets fan. I have been told, "Look, you live in the Tampa area now, you HAVE to root for the Bucs". Still my motto goes out to those who look upon me with disgust and I state " A TRUE, fan sticks with his team through thick and thin.....". So much 4 that rule (#1), and Puddinhead, I have stayed on this board for the past few years & can count maybe 5-7 people on this board who have actually been civil to me, the rest either ignore my posts, bash me or speak to me as though I was their inferior, though they don't know the first thing about me. So, if ya like the board/team, then blow off the ignorance that sometimes fuels this place then keep on posting and interacting with those that will reply without malice and enjoy the exchange of ideas that DOES take place....:up::shit::wink:

18. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I don't see how you are agreeing with that. You are saying despite Mess being let go you remained a Ranger fan, as opposed to the Packer fans who stopped being GB fans because Favre was let go. That is not in sync with the previous statement.

19. RevisCB

RevisCB New Member

I wouldn't worry about it fella, there are a fair few people on here that think they are holier than thou, but it's still the best place to talk Jets forum. If someone is not civil to you then i would advice not replying to them. That's what i have personally done over the past year or so. There is always going to be a difference in opinion, and I'm sure everyone knows how to be civil, they just choose not too. Anyone who want's to talk Jets football is fine with me, doesn't matter which team you follow or your location (this is coming from a person who is not even from the US).

20. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

you might have seen it when i had the wrong post quoted. i fixed it now, and i do agree with what is quoted.