Schottenheimer Would Welcome Favre Back

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by hwismer, Feb 3, 2009.

1. hwismer

hwismer Active Member

Jets OC Schottenheimer Would Welcome Favre Back

Feb 3, 5:21 PM (ET)

By DENNIS WASZAK Jr.
    NEW YORK (AP) -Brian Schottenheimer believes Brett Favre still has plenty left in that rocket right arm.

"I would welcome the opportunity to coach Brett again," the New York Jets' offensive coordinator said Tuesday.

Schottenheimer, retained by new coach Rex Ryan, hasn't spoken to the 39-year-old quarterback since a late-season slump contributed to the Jets missing the playoffs. Favre is contemplating whether to retire or come back for a 19th NFL season, and second with New York. He's expected to make a decision in the next few weeks.

"He's probably in a tree stand right now as we speak doing some hunting," Schottenheimer said with a chuckle.

Favre is also healing from a torn biceps tendon in his throwing arm that might have contributed to a stretch in which he threw nine interceptions in the Jets' last five games.

New York went 1-4 and missed the playoffs - costing coach Eric Mangini his job - but Schottenheimer believes Favre could still help the Jets reach the playoffs.

"If he chooses to come back, he's still performing at a winning level," he said.

It was widely speculated that Schottenheimer wasn't pleased with having to restructure the offense after Favre joined the team late in training camp in a trade with Green Bay. Schottenheimer said that wasn't the case.

"I really enjoyed coaching Brett, I really did," he said. "So, when I said I'd welcome the chance to coach him again, I really, really enjoyed being around him, I enjoyed working with him. We had a heck of a relationship and I don't think anything would change if he does decide to come back again this season."

The team, along with Favre, went downhill after consecutive wins at New England and Tennessee put them atop the AFC East at 8-3.

"We weren't clicking on all cylinders," Schottenheimer said. "Some of them were design flaws on my part. Some of them were bad reads or bad decisions and some of them were core protection.

"It's unfair to put it all on Brett."

While Favre and his receivers were slow to click at first, the offense ended up putting up 405 points - the third-highest total in franchise history. Schottenheimer said ball security, struggles on third down and failure to be consistent were the team's downfall.

"Midway through the season at 8-3, we did find our groove," he said. "Unfortunately, our groove dried up a little bit."

The 35-year-old Schottenheimer was one of the top candidates for the head coaching job and has been recognized as one of the top young offensive coordinators in the league. Ryan recognized that and said when he was hired that he would sit down with Schottenheimer, who had a year remaining on his contract, and discuss how he felt when he was passed over for the Baltimore job last year.

"When I finally got a chance to sit down and visit with Rex, it really was something that felt right. It felt really good," said Schottenheimer, who acknowledged being disappointed at first with the team's decision.

Schottenheimer's name was linked to a handful of other jobs around the league, but he said there was nothing substantial.

"The most important thing for me was to figure out, did I want to be a part of the Jets?" he said. "I was still under contract and at the end of the day after the smoke cleared, I really did feel like this was the best place for me."

2. Brien O'Ken

Brien O'Ken Member

This really smacks of despirately trying to convince himself and anyone else that he actually believes what he's saying. This one quote has Shotty saying "really" 4 times trying to emphasize how much he wants Favre back. The more he says it, the less I believe him.

3. IrishSteveZ

IrishSteveZ New Member

Schottenheimer talking to the media? Wow...we never ever saw that with Mangini here.

Nice to see and a good read.

4. Johnny4

Johnny4 New Member

He must feel like he got out of jail.

5. Quack

Quack New Member

Things to do:

1) Talk up Favre
    2) Get laid
    3) Talk up Favre

6. APK 8

APK 8 Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly as I was reading this. Westhoff talking to Francessa. Schotty doing an interview. We finally get to hear from the assistant coaches.

7. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

i bet favre is a fun guy to be with in the film room... when i was at TC this year, everyone around him was laughing because he doesn't stop telling jokes when he has nothing to do.

8. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

Something did seem weird about this article.

9. #1 Jets Fan

#1 Jets Fan Guest

favre will be back next season

10. Jaded Green

Jaded Green New Member

I hope he looks like this...

[​IMG]

11. RevisOfNazareth

RevisOfNazareth New Member

To be honest, I don't see the problem with giving Favre another year, however, his starting role should be open for discussion. If one of the back ups really outperforms him and he's costing us games like the end of this season, so be it, bench his old ass. If not, it's good for the team because in the unlikely event he plays his A game every week, he's in good shape.

12. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Wow, that would be creepy if his head shrunk like that.

13. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Something about a white Brett Farve head on a black body creeps me out no end...

14. zace

zace Well-Known Member

You're so right about that.

15. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

I'd welcome Brett back too. I know he had a bad 6 game stretch, but he's still a great QB. He's MILES above anything else we have on the roster, and it'd give Ratliff another season to develop.

Come back Brett!

16. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Not to mention having a black body :wink:

Can't see the problem having him come back. I mean our passing game was complete garbage wasn't it ?

17. VickBlows

VickBlows Active Member

No other quarterback gives us a better opportunity to win than Fav-ray.

18. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

What happens if the Jets announce that they don't want him back? Can't he claim they owe him money under the contract if he then says he's willing to play?

19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I don't know how much of an advantage Favre gives us if he doesn't work his ass off this offseason.

20. APK 8

APK 8 Well-Known Member

Nope. The only money Favre can make is his base salary which is not guaranteed. If the Jets cut him (don't take him back) they owe him nothing just like anyone else that gets cut.