Jets Favre to Meet After Super Bowl

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Long Time Jet Fan, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Until the new kid has a bad game, then everyone will say he sucks and want to move on to the next future guy.

2. KSJets

KSJets New Member

He hasn't finished strong in years though. He's faded down the stretch in the last 4 or 5 years. There was something about that at the end of the year in either the NY Post or Daily News. It showed his stats in the last 4 games of each year and the completion %, TD's, yardage, etc. all went down and the INT's all went up.

I don't think a full off-season program will help that mainly because I don't think he's willing to participate in one.

3. tom spicer

tom spicer New Member

Warner looked like crap outdoors in NE

I think he looked great outdoors at Carolina this month & he has a fumbling problem last time I checked but guess what he is in the Super Bowl.

4. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

The analogy sucks. Warner is two years younger than Favre. Because of the thumb injury Warner has not had close to a complete season for 6 straight years. This is the first complete season he had since 01. If it takes Favre as long to recover at 40 as it did Warner to recover from an injury sustained in Favre will be healthy when he's 46 6 years from now. Warner has had exactly 1/3 of the attempts that Favre has had in the last 7 years, 1280 vs 3839. Couple that with playing in a dome against primarily a warm weather schedule and the comparison doesn't fly.

#44 winstonbiggs, Jan 30, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  5. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

that's why they are called "football fans."

they just don't get it.

6. Altoona

Altoona Well-Known Member

There are two types of biceps tears: Proximal and distal. Proximal tears cause shoulder pain while a distal causes pain in and around the elbow. The distal tear is more debilitating and cannot heal without surgery. It is highly doubtful that Favre has a distal tear as a.) no one could throw a ball more than 5 or so yards (if at all) with such an injury and, b.) surgery is the only repair option if range of motion and strength are to be restored. This leads us to conclude that he has a proximal tear which is not as serious. Even with a total rupture of one of the two tendons that attach the biceps muscle to the should could be played around without too much problem although it does had additional stress to the non-ruptured tendon. The throwing motion, however, does not really involve the biceps muscle so this injury should not impact him if he decides to continue playing unless of course he tears the other tendon which is possible but unlikely.

I suspect he has only a partial tear of one of the tendons because this actually causes more pain and discomfort than if the affected tendon was to totally detach itself which frequently results in a full reduction of said pain and discomfort.

I have heard that Favre has had this same injury before so if this is true, he has a better sense than anyone as to how it might or might not impact his effectiveness after having had some time to recover.

Of course I'm not Favre's doctor (or any kind of doctor at all) but I did watch a football game while staying at a Holiday Inn Express once.

7. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Im pretty sure Jets monitored his injury situation...don't you think? That is just awful to assume. If we were to pay him $13m, I am sure we knew what we would be getting.

So I highly doubt if it 'favre' that thinks he doesn't need a surgery. The doctors most likely told him its not that bad and will heal over time.

8. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Yep, we have to assume Favre has been visiting with his doctors.

9. jigglebilly

jigglebilly New Member

Most of the human body heals eventually, it just depends on the seriousness of the injury, it probably won't be fully healed by next season, but enough to put up his average play( I won't get into Fave politics here).

10. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

Would he retire if he was told he was not going to play the first game and so break his play ever game record?

11. 12 > 4

12 > 4 New Member

Small world. I know about a million people like that...then again, I'm from Wisconsin.

12. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

Quote: "...I want Favre back if we don't ahve to cut multiple guys to get undre the cap to keep him, if not I think it's time to move on but w/ a full year in this system and familiarity w/ his teammates I think he'll be much better in '09 than he was in '08...."

Brett won't do the surgery, as he wants to wait and see if he heals completely by laying off throwing as long as possible. Brett's errant passing was more about judgment than physical limitations. He was healthy at the beginning of this season and he broke down at 39. Even if he is healthy at this beginning of the 09 season, there is a reasonable expectation that he will break down again at 40, too.

The NYJs need to find out if they have a quarterback on the roster that will lead the team. If not, they have to get on with sourcing a quarterback they can count on to lead this team -- not some new version a couple of years and $65 million in more guaranteed money hence.

13. bigalxc

bigalxc Active Member

lets just cut him and move forward

14. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

The Jets will NEVER cut Favre. No team ever would. Maybe I should say no team in their right mind would but then I don't know where that leaves the Jets.

15. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Let's bring him back for one more season. I'd rather have Favre than nothing.

16. week17magic

week17magic New Member

this injury bullshit is just an excuse. Team doctors would not clear him to play or at least warn the coaching staff that something was not right in his arm. The doctors and coaches wouldnt just let him play if the injury was affecting his play negatively. There was no fucking injury, he is just getting old and he lost his steam as the season progressed.

17. puddnhead

puddnhead New Member

Hmm,. by that reasoning someone whose been in a wheelchair the last 6 years will have a lot more ability to run a marathon than someone who jogs every day.

Does it matter what injury he has? Say if he has a papercut on his thumb, will that take 6 years?

I hate to get all "mythical" on you, but Favre's ability to heal quickly is legendary. The man had a car accident in college that they weren't sure he would survive, he had three feet of his colon removed & a steel plate put in his gut, the doctors said he would never play again. He started for Ol' Miss six weeks later. I personally witnessed the man come to the sideline and spit up blood, sit out one play, then go out the next one and throw a TD bomb. And so on. You do realize that his streak is not due to never getting hurt, right? The guy just heals really, really fast. And he doesn't just come back and "limp" through a game, he tends to have some of his best games in weeks they weren't even sure he would play. He's a freak. Must have something to do with being part Choctaw Indian or something. I know you think you are being logical, "x equals y" and all that, but in reality you don't make any sense at all when you say Kurt Warner's body == Brett Favre's body.

18. week17magic

week17magic New Member

i mean do we really want to bring back a washed up QB who can't play strong the entire year? Do we want the same collapse as last year? Not one coach, not even Lombardi himself, could win big late season games with a QB who threw 2 TDs and 8 INTs in the last four games. I dont want another collapse. Do you?

19. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Did you see how he played down the stretch this year? He was outright awful and he doesn't have a major injury. The problem isn't him healing the problem is his done. Warner was hurt and when he healed up he can still play, Favre is simply 40 and done. Warner at least admits he is at the end even though on like Favre he doesn't suck yet.

20. puddnhead

puddnhead New Member

Yes, and I saw him play in November, and October, and in 2007, and so on.

I think I'm pounding my head on a brick wall here. If playing badly "proves" that he's too old, then ... Tim Couch and Ryan Leaf were "old" when they were 24. And come to think of it, Favre too. He had a worse year in 1993 than he did in 2008.