Ryan's Success Depends on Favre Retiring

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Joe Willie White Shoes, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I think Carr is the perfect guy to take a chance on & let him battle it out with Clemens and Ratliff. Carr has a ton of potential still, is still young and has enough time to recover from the beating he took early in his career.

2. Phear

Phear New Member

im alright with carr, i was stationed in corpus christi tx so i actually watched some texans games when he was their qb, i thought he looked decent but his poor oline was his undoing. i wouldnt mind having him compete with clemens and ratliff

3. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Haha..Carr? With the Jets he would take over 100 sacks a year.

4. Phear

Phear New Member

ummm, the jets dont have the texans 05,06 oline. i doubt u watched any texans games. noone said carr is great, but with the options we will have? warner is retiring or staying in az, i dont want garcia, and i'd rather have carr of leftwich.

5. Don

Every hit Favre took last year would be a sack Carr would take this year. Add that to the sacks Favre took and what do you come up with? Despite all the ballyhooed FA acquisitions last year our line still couldn't protect their own mothers if they were playing QB on this team.

6. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

When you run empty backfields and a spread it puts the QB at greater risk if he doesn't get the ball out quickly. I suspect with a Defense first we are going to be far more committed to the run and going over the top with play action. That in itself will change the risk to the QB.

7. Attackett

Who would you prefer? Leftwich? Boller? Simms? Not exactly cream of the crop that will be available. At least Carr still has potential & is young, can't say the same about any other QB available.

8. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

Who are you really, Deanna Favre???? That's the only thing that explains your unconditional passionate defense of a player and unwarranted attack on another for expressing an opionion.

OK, so Favre had a good year back in 2004. But he sucked in 2005, 2006 and 2008. He has been horrible down the stretch for the past four seasons. Not bad - horrible. I don't care how young the Packers were in 2005. I also really don't care about how he had winning seasons in the past. I care about the Jets and I know what I saw this year. I saw a QB who had no arm, no mobility, and poor decision-making. I know Favre was great at one time. But those days are long gone and are not coming back, no matter how badly you want them to (and I know you do - you are obviously a big Favre fan).

As for me- based on your post I can say two things. I do know more than you and you know nothing about me. While you were watching 95% of Favre's games (so was everybody else, by the way, because he was on prime time games almost every week), I have been watching almost every game every week for years. I have Sunday ticket and Jet season tickets. I watch just about every televised football game. How do I know I know more than you? Because I can tell a washed up old QB and you can't. I can get past the Favre love and you can't. Because I didn't want him here in the first place for all the reasons most Jets fans don't want him back now. Because it is obvious that, if the goal is to win a SB, Favre takes the Jets in the opposite direction of that goal. Sometimes you need to take a step back to take two steps forward. The Jets took a debatable step forward and know are looking at taking a step or two back with no QB. Sometimes you need to look beyond next week or next season. Who is the Jets QB in 2009? 2010? 2011?

If it wasn't obvious to Jets fans the minute Favre was signed that we would be right where we are right now, then those fans were myopic. Yes, maybe the Jets would have been 8-8 or 7-9 or even 6-10 without Favre (I doubt it - the Jets would have run more and won some games in December, but it doesn't matter - if you miss the playoffs 6-10 and 9-7 are no different). But the Jets would know far more about the QB position than they do know. And we wouldn't be caught up in this predictable and nonsensical annual drama about whether the great Favre will retire or not.

So what do the Jets do now, smart guy?? Play Favre for another year and watch him shit to bed in December and throw 25 picks? Hope he becomes a game manager? Play Clemens or Ratliff? Draft a QB? Sign a veteran? All of the above? It's a mess and bringing in Favre created it and bringing him back for another year just makes it worse. If my seeing that and you not seeing makes me smarter, then so be it. No go back to watching tapes of the 96 Packers.

#88 Joe Willie White Shoes, Jan 24, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  9. hazmat

hazmat New Member

Brett Favre

In December of the last four seasons:

12 touchdowns/30 interceptions.

Nothing else needs to be said.

10. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

wow. That's age.

He needs to work harder on his conditioning.

If Warner can do it, so can Favre.

#90 NDmick, Jan 24, 2009
  11. tom spicer

tom spicer New Member

Joe Willie White Shoes you truly dont know what you are talking about Favre can no longer throw sorry buddy but if you watched the games the 1st TD of the year was at least a 50 yard in the air bomb that very few guys in the league could make. In the 2nd Pats game he was throwing lasers to Keller in overtime to win it. Also if we did not trade for Favre Chad would have started & he is clearly not the answer long term so we would have the same QB question we have right now.

12. Quack

Quack New Member

You know what, I'm kind of liking this Carr argument. He's rested on the G-Men's bench for a bit, if he can't come back now he probably never will.

13. Attackett

Warner has Jesus on his side though, maybe that is what Favre needs.

14. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

I didn't know Henne was the OC. News to me.
    You don't average out the rating of 4 games, you compile the stats of the 4 games and then work out the rating.
    Then what happens when we play a D that can shut down the run? Stack the box against Chad and he's done.
    Warner is also 2 years younger, and neither he nor Favre will ever have another year as good as they had this year.

15. newcomer

newcomer New Member

Realistically I don't think Carr has any better shot to be starting NFL QB than Clemens or Ratliff. In fact, I think he has less because he has already failed miseribly. Why spend precious cap money on more of what we already have. Are you just hoping that if we throw enough stuff agasint the wall somethng will stick. I'd rather go with the Clemens/Ratliff survivor for a year and spend Favre's cap money on a receiver and or a defensive end. Have to have a deep threat and have to have someone who can get to QB. Also i cant belive posters here are looking for Gholston to come out of this looking like a beast. I would be thrilled at this point if he just developed into a player.

16. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

I've always been curious, what if a guy on each team has Jesus on his side? Does Jesus have a priority chart or power ratings he goes to in those cases?

17. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

It was Dan Henning, and he was the OC Chad's rookie year with the Jets--when he was the #3 QB and never played a down. I'm not sure how much that would help him eight years, four offenses and two surgeries later. Also, Favre got to the Jets a few days before Chad got to the Dolphins, so that's a wash.

18. puddnhead

puddnhead New Member

And I guess I should call you Chad Pennington's mama because you keep sticky to these "opinions" that Favre played badly every year even after I give you cold hard facts proving you're wrong? You can post that the world as flat too & the dragons exist at the edges that will eat any ships that get too close, but just because you post that doesn't mean I have any obligation to show respect for your ignorance.

Pot calling kettle black, dude. At least I actually let the facts and reality inform my opinions. Everyone I think agrees he played badly those last 5 games, myself included. But you, for whatever reason, cannot stop at that, and start spouting crap that is so blatantly wrong it's laughable. I mean, Jesus Christ, 13 months ago he was either the #2 or #3 best quarterback in the NFL measured by stats, and yet here you are with your fantasy that he sucked, sucked, sucked, and sucked consistently for over five years. LOL, don't let facts dissuade you from your opinions, dude! :rofl:

#98 puddnhead, Jan 24, 2009
  19. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

Here's an indisputable fact for you. How many 40 year old QBs have won a Super Bowl?

None!

How many QBs older than 37 have won the SB? One.

Favre is just too damn old.

20. Don

How many have tried? How many have lost?