40 year Jet fan here with top 10 worst list

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by southjerseyjets, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Skicats

Skicats Well-Known Member

IV'e mentioned this game previously as the one that started the curse on the Jets.

2. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

That was prior to the 1974 season. It pretty much finished him off, although he did produce pretty solid passing numbers for the '74 season. The result of the water sking incident tore his hamstring for good as evidence by his tying TD against the Giants that year. On film he looked about 80 years old....

3. mrjet80

Yes, the Browns game in week 15 offically eliminated the Jets, although who knows what could have happened had they beat NE. If I remember correctly, Leahy's attempt wasn't a gimme but it was less than 40 yards. The upset in Denver was two weeks before the NE loss, in fact it was the week after the Jets were stomped 55-21 in Foxboro. The win in the OB was the week after the home NE loss.

The Jets have had every home game televised starting with that 1978 Dallas game. (It was a sellout and every game since was sold out) As far as the Jets and Giants playing at the same time, I'm pretty sure 1978 was the last year this occured on a normal basis, although the last time this ever occured was the final game of the 1982 season which as some of you may recall was scheduled after the players strike was resumed that year so the season would end with 9 games played instead of 8 which made the playoff seedings easier to calculate. The Jets, playing at KC on NBC (and getting trounced in the process) and the Giants, playing at Philadelphia on CBS (winning on a last second FG but still missing the playoffs, also Ray Perkins final game as HC) both played at 1:00....

4. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

From the beginning of the 80s forward the NYJs were always sold out & never blacked out. Now the 70s were a far different story

5. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

As mrjet80 said, from the last couple of games in 1978 on they have always been televised and sold out. I don't remember the Dallas game being on but it might have been, makes sense that it sold out as Dallas was a premiere team at that time. Also in 1980 when we lost to the Saints late in the year, I think the game was sold out but not televised. I remember being in my room listening on the radio. If I'm not mistaken, the network had at the time the option not to show a home game (only road games) to the local market, and there was a playoff significant game on against Jets-Saints, so CBS--at the time the NFC network with no loyalty to the Jets--opted for another game. But yeah, I remember as a kid listening to the home games with Marty Glickman and Dave Hermann on the radio and waiting all week for "Inside the NFL" to see highlights. The handful of times I got to go to Shea was the absolute best, even as bad as we were, just because we could see the game live.

6. mrjet80

This is correct......while every Jets home game has been 'sold out' starting with the 1978 Dallas game, the one time I remember a home Jets game after that not being shown locally was the Saints-Jets game. I assume CBS decided at the last minute to yank the Jets game. I don't remember which game they showed but on NBC it was the Browns-Vikings which featured the hail mary catch by Ahmad Rashad to clinch a playoff spot for the Vikings. Obviously it was still legal at that time for a network to dictate which game to show regardless of the home team. Jets fans didn't miss much that day......also I'm pretty sure only 20,000 fans or show actually attended the game.

7. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

I was at that game, and here's what you missed. You missed a cold day, a humiliating loss to a winless team known nationally as the "Aint's" and you missed Jets fans pulling the bags off of Saints fans' heads and placing them on their own.

Then, with the first pick in the draft the following Spring, the Saints selected George Rogers, so we gave them their bags back.

8. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Rogers was not truly a bust, but he was taken 1st overall in 1981 and Lawrence Taylor went 2nd. Rogers only played 7 seasons. He went over 1,000 yards rushing four times and was at 914 in another season. He ran for 535 yards in 1982 (stike-shortened season; he did receive some All-Pro recognition that year) and 613 in 1987 (again a strike-shortened season).

Rogers led the league in rushing in 1981.

In 1986, he led the league in touchdowns.

His final game was Super Bowl 22. He had 5 carries in that game and his team won.

9. Italian Seafood

I remember Bruce Harper desperately trying to get out of bounds with no timeouts on the last play after catching a pass from Richard Todd, so we could try and get the FG team on the field, but we couldn't do it. On the highlights you could see garbage blowing all around the field because the wind was so strong. Hard to believe just a year later on the same field we were wrapping up a playoff spot.

That 1981 draft was Rogers #1, LT #2, Freeman McNeil #3. I loved McNeil, but how about being one pick from having LT as a Jet behind the Sack Exchange? Think an old LB Walt Michaels would have taken him? Think we win a Super Bowl or two with that defense? One damn pick.

10. jago

jago Active Member

this is so bad, we need MULTIPLE CATEGORIES
    (and maybe a spreadsheet LOL):
    these are in no particular order
    feel free to add on where i have missed

-horrible injuries
    namath body slammed by the Lions
    vinny's heel
    klecko's knee
    dennis byrd
    chad and fiedler down in same game

-seasonal collapses
    1975 (lost 8 in a row after big post 74 hype)
    1984 (started 6-2 ended 7-9)
    1994 (6-5 to 6-10)

-worst games (in order for me)
    mud bowl
    fake spike
    cleveland 2OT
    NEP 56-3 (they put it on their TICKETS in NE last year!)
    MIA 43-0 at shea (see 1975)
    honorable mention: 24-0 sleepwalk in astrodome at end of 93
    with possible PO berth available.
    the aints loss in '80

-draft blunders
    blair thomas
    kyle brady
    roger vick
    carl barzilauskus
    ken o'brien (reluctantly, but with only he and marino on the board late..sheesh)

-coaching fiascos (god theres so many)
    lou holtz's weasely exit
    walt michaels' weasely exit(the NY Post spent six months trying to find him)
    beli's weasely exit (HC of the NYJ)
    groh's weasely exit (bolted. i met him in bermuda a few mos later. told him i was
    a jet fan and he lost his tan LOL)
    herm's weasely exit
    mangini's weasely hiring, spygate and all that

whew..

#90 jago, Jan 21, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  11. Italian Seafood

You can add 1993 in there. Had the #1 offense at mid-season with Boomer and Coslet reunited, a 5-game winning streak in November, then collapsed from 8-5 to 8-8. lost a playoff spot and our coach.

12. jago

jago Active Member

yes. i did reference that last game loss to the oilers.
    also this reminds me of johnny mitchell in the draft category.

13. Italian Seafood

Yeah, you did. That could be it's own category, final week playoff misses--that game, the 1997 Detroit game, the 2000 Baltimore game, probably missing a few others.