Sportscenter "Ryan to Jets"

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJets1135, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

The same evidence that we have that Cowher can repeat what he did in Pittsburgh, or Shanahan in Denver or Gruden in TB. They never do. Even Parcells, as great as he is, has never won a superbowl anywhere but in NY.

Coaches who change teams NEVER have the same drive they did the first time around.

2. Keeper1125

Keeper1125 Member

Don, 6 of the last 7 Super Bowl champions won with coaches with their second team. Literally, your argument is the exact opposite of what recent NFL history suggests. I'm not sure if it would be possible for you to be more full of shit.

edit: Even more remarkably, you suggested that Jon Gruden couldn't win a title after changing teams. Was I dreaming the '03 Super Bowl?

double-edit(!): And Shanahan won two titles in his second head coaching gig. I'm now convinced that yours was the worst post in the history of TGG, which is really saying something.

#122 Keeper1125, Jan 20, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  3. Don

Uh..I was talking about head coaches who had won a sb with one team, wtf are you talking about? Or do you even know?

4. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Guy's just think if the retread carousel of experienced HC continued, we would still have Coslet, Kotite, Buddy, Gilbride, Dennis Green, Mariucci, etc.....in the NFL, the new crop of HC has to come from somewhere, so who cares if we did not hire Cowher, Shanahan, Gruden.

Personally what I would like to see this team do is come up with a philosophy, aggressive, in your face, all to the ball, physical defense first and run the ball smash mouth football, like the Steelers, Titans, Ravens, and Chargers...and after you have this philosophy, hire people that will stick to this philosophy and carry it for as long as you own the franchise.

5. puddnhead

puddnhead New Member

Dick Vermeil (Philly & St Louis).

Answering that as trivia more than anything else. The argument itself is silly IMO. Coaches don't have problems winning a second Superbowl after switching teams; teams (and their coaches) find it difficult to win Superbowls period, even with their first team, and the probability of that declines with trying to do it with two different teams. If it were pure chance, a team wins a superbowl every 32 years (puts Jets "curse" in perspective? It might be more accurate to say they are just a little overdue, not "cursed.") Doing that twice in a row (i know that's not what we're talking about, but it's close enough & I'm trying to keep it simple) is 1 / 32*32, in other words less than one in a thousand chance.

(On behalf of my 9th grade math teacher, you're welcome).

6. Don

Yeah, Vermeil. I forgot he coached in Philly but knew he didn't win in KC. The point is that there is no guarantees that a coach who won one place can ever win another and to get them when they have won is just a waste of lots of money. Most owners realize that and that's why so many coaches in the last 5 years or so have been first timers.

But the Coaches who couldn't do it and it's a pretty impressive list include Lombardi, Parcells, Seifert, Holmgren and Ditka..maybe there are more but these come to mind.

Oh, I just looked it up...Vermeil LOST in Philly and that's why I didn't remember it...LOL.

#126 Don, Jan 20, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  7. puddnhead

puddnhead New Member

Oh I actually thought he won. Huh, I should know better, of course Philly didn't win a Superbowl.

Anyway I think you get my point. Take your statement "The point is that there is no guarantees that a coach who won one place can ever win another" and remove the words "who won one place" and "another" and it's probably just as true. The only reason there are fewer (no) anecdotes of coaches is because the population you start with (coaches who won one place & then moved on to another) is so small -- because winnignthe first one is so hard.

8. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I am not sure, and we here only have conjecture as to the real reasons, why this organization is so certain that it should have only interviewed people with no prior NFL experience as a head coach. I guess they would have interviewed Cohwer if he showed any interest in it, but I didn't sense he was their choice, either.

For then current coordinators this past season, I thought Spags was a near certainty to get an HC job, and he did. I'm not sure why the Jets showed little interest in him. Maybe it was just the 3-4 issue. While I would have preferred Shanahan, I guess from the crop of coordinators and others with no prior HC experience, Ryan sounds like the best choice.

9. Don

I agree. At the start of this off season I wanted Cowher as much as anybody. After that fell through I started thinking about it and came to the conclusion that in order to win a superbowl in the parity driven NFL these days you have to have the perfect storm of ownership, coaching, gm and above all players. So, unless you have a complete fool for a coach it probably doesn't matter unless you also have the other three.

10. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

i believe wiki is never a truly sourced site.

i sure hope we hire rex but knowing the jets for all these years, i'll wait till its announced and "on paper"

11. Don

huh?..........he was signed yesterday and the Jets released the news last night. He is currently behind the desk at the training facility this morning.

12. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

Basically to win a SB you need to be really really lucky, the more pieces of the puzzle that you have in place in terms of the right players, coaches, opponents etc the more you can tilt the odds in your favour but at the end of the day it comes down to luck - and whilst the right coach is a part of that its difficult to say what the right coach is because it will depend on the system, how players react to him and his new system, how he reacts to the players and so on.

the fact that a coach has won a SB shows nothing more than the fact he is not a total moron and he fell on his feet in terms of the situation he was in. Put him into another very diffierent situation and it doesnt seem much more likely that he will bring you a SB than putting a non-moron rookie coach into the hot seat.

13. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

tom spicer fails.

14. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

I wonder which spice he dispenses.

15. firemanedjr

firemanedjr Active Member

Remember when he didn't have total faith in our front office and coaching staff? I'm completely serious when I say I'm not sure there's ever been a time when the collective mentality of Jets fans was this optimistic and anxious for the future.

16. Jam.

Jam. Banned

Oh so what you did was look back in an old thread and point out how people were wrong, just to be an asshole? I can do that.

firemanedjr's Reaction to Drafting Mark Sanchez:

firemanedjr's Reaction to Drafting Shonn Greene:

17. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Things were pretty optimistic prior to the 1999 season.

18. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Jam... for the win...

19. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

HAHAHA well done, Jam.

20. TorontoJETSfan

TorontoJETSfan New Member