Sportscenter "Ryan to Jets"

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJets1135, Jan 18, 2009.

1. firemanedjr

firemanedjr Active Member

Perfect. This is exactly the hire we needed.

2. SouthBayJetsfan4life

SouthBayJetsfan4life Well-Known Member

Unlike many of you...I'm taking a wait and see attitude. As another poster mentioned, let's see who he has on this staff. Sure Rex Ryan has a great defensive mind (allegedly). But so did Marvin Lewis. And Gregg Williams. And Mike Nolan. But anyone can be a genius if they have Ray Lewis or Ed Reed tracking players down for them.

Count me out in the Rex Ryan welcome wagon. He's gotta show me something before all hot and bothered.

3. Chrisp22

Chrisp22 Active Member

SNY is reporting the very same. Rex to be hired on Monday.

Shotty, Jr. will remain as OC.

Funny, you hope for change until you realize we are entering the great unknown. Rookie head coach, no definite QB, etc.

Use the force Rex!!

4. Vilmalover51

Vilmalover51 Active Member

a sad day for new york jets fans as the misery continues, i'll start it off, it was a bad hire gruden is who this team needed

5. tpjets62

tpjets62 Member

Looks like a formal announcement will be Wednesday.....

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2009/01/rex-looks-to-be-next-for-jets.html

Rex looks to be next for Jets
    January 18, 2009

It took three weeks, but the Jets finally have their man - Rex Ryan.

Barring an unexpected glitch in negotiations, the Jets are planning to hire Ryan as their head coach, multiple league sources said tonight. An announcement likely will be made Monday, although Ryan won't be introduced at a news conference until Wednesday because of Tuesday's presidential inauguration.

As soon as the Ravens' season ended Sunday night, the Jets were free to make an offer to Ryan, the Ravens' defensive coordinator. They had been targeting him since last Sunday, when he impressed team brass in a five-hour interview in Baltimore.

Ryan was emotional after the game, knowing his 10-year run in Baltimore was coming to an end. He didn't presume he was getting the Jets' job, but he often spoke in the past tense.

"If I get that opportunity, that would be fantastic," he said after the Ravens' 24-13 loss to the Steelers in the AFC Championship game in Pittsburgh. "But, right now, this is tough. We just lost the AFC championship game."

6. KSJets

KSJets New Member

Gruden's team choked much worse than ours did this year. Thank God you're not in charge of this franchise.

7. IrishSteveZ

IrishSteveZ New Member

Great hire! The guy I wanted from day one!

Tanny did yet another nice job! I really do trust him!!! :breakdance: :beer:

8. tpjets62

tpjets62 Member

I was never a big fan of Gruden. After reading all the various reports of his operations and handling of matters behind closed doors and internal conflicts, I want no part of him around here. I will take a chance with the unknown.

9. Chrisp22

Chrisp22 Active Member

I don't believe all of the bad reports on Gruden. Some veteran players are still on his side so all was not that bad.

THat said, I did want Mike T to interview Gruden. Thought it would have been a smart thing to do. Explore all options is what I'm getting at. Otherwise, we go with the sexy pick of Rex Ryan.

10. Long Time Jet Fan

Long Time Jet Fan New Member

Yes, I agree. Explore all options. Interview every person that's ever coached in the NFL, and all college coaches that might want to move to the pros. Let's be thorough!

#30 Long Time Jet Fan, Jan 19, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  11. Phear

Phear New Member

I hope our team is not so far down the tube we would interview a couch, but I guess since someone mentioned papa smurf, why not.

12. Long Time Jet Fan

Long Time Jet Fan New Member

Some people would want to interview couch potatoes as well. :wink:

13. Coach K

Coach K New Member

take this from someone whos lived in tampa long enough to tell you, hes NOT what this team needed.

14. Coach K

Coach K New Member

and ill add that Cowher was my first choice and Rex Ryan my second, maybe im wrong. but if he gets a good staff in here i believe we should be in good shape.

depending on the favre blah blah blah pans out though will in my mind buy him another yr before judgment can be made. unless the team makes a blatant regression regardless whos under center.

15. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

If its on wikipedia then it MUST be true :)

16. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I am sure people will be quick to rubbish this hire so that (this being the Jets) when it inevitably doesnt pan out they can point back to their post and say "look, I told you so, I dont win the superbowl every year on Maddens for nothing you know!!!"

17. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Now that that is out of the way the bigger story, I think, will be who he hires to be his OC and DC now.

18. Don

The Jets made it crystal clear that they wanted another first timer. They had no interest in Gruden, Billick, Shananahan or Cowher(despite the pretext). Good or bad that is what it is.

#38 Don, Jan 19, 2009
  19. Don

Well, here I can answer my own question.

"If Ryan leaves, look for him to take several Ravens coaches with him, including linebackers coach Mike Pettine, who would become the Jets' defensive coordinator.

Ryan also likes Ravens quarterbacks coach Hue Jackson, who would become the Jets' offensive coordinator. The only problem is Jackson could have more than one offer.
    Jackson was once the Cincinnati Bengals' wide receivers coach and tutored Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer in college. Cincinnati coach Marvin Lewis could be interested in Jackson becoming Cincinnati's offensive coordinator."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/football/bal-sp.ravensnotes19jan19,0,819035.story

I'm good with Pettine but not so much with Jackson. Baltimore's offense is not one I would like to copy.

#39 Don, Jan 19, 2009
  20. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Posted in another thread.

It's on ESPN front page right now.

Jets to offer Ryan HC job today, Ryan said he will accept.