Jump up and get Mark Sanchez

Discussion in 'Draft' started by MyFavoriteMartin5, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

That's probably why Matt Stafford will be the first quarterback selected in 2009's NFL Draft.

Sanchez's inexperience could cause him to fall...just enough.

2. Jets FTW!!

Jets FTW!! Member

Sanchez is one of those players who will be determined by a toss of a coin. 1 year starting at USC doesnt give him great looks on how he would do in the nfl. Yes i know matt cassel is a beast and he didn't even start, but I think thats because of the partiots and if cassel goes anywhere else he will suck. If Sanchez drops to us, then i'd say take him if there isn't something else there we need, but DO NOT trade up for him. I don't think he's worth it that much.

3. tom spicer

tom spicer New Member

Do you think we have no shot to get him now that Bradford is not coming out I was hoping Bradford & Stafford would go & Sanchez would fall to us at 17

4. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Honestly, I think the only reason Sanchez declared is because Bradford stayed at OU.

5. tom spicer

tom spicer New Member

So than we have no shot to get him without a trade unless he is a nut job

6. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Let's hope for a draft like 2007's, where JaMarcus Russell went #1 overall and Brady Quinn slid all the way to 22.

7. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Let everybody else take this bum. His coach doesn't think he is close to being ready for the NFL and that is good enough for me. The only reason he did come out is because not one of the good QBs did and he sees an opportunity for a money grab. No surprise that he waited until Tebow and Bradford announced before he did.

#47 Don, Jan 16, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  8. ........

........ Trolls

Not to mention the fact that he'll leave with his Communications degree. Why bother staying if you'll already graduate and enter a watered down QB class? I'd be thrilled to get this kid. He's a solid prospect and a hell of a guy. He went to the elementary school my mom used to teach at. Her best friend was his 4th grade teacher. He comes to visit her and her class at least twice a year and promised her he'd stay in college until he got his degree.

I'm not sure he's ready quite yet, but he clearly has the tools and the inherent maturity and character. The latter can't be said for Leinart, a guy who, by many accounts, was an immature douche his entire time at USC. Former players say he disrespected USC and its traditions, and always cared more about his image than his play. There shouldn't be any surprises that he's doing the same in the NFL. Perhaps he'll mature, perhaps not. Whether Sanchez falls or not, this team is going to let one of the QBs currently on the roster have a shot this season anyway. If he falls, great. If not, next year's QB class will be outstanding and deep.

9. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

1. Pete Carroll is a complete douche bag for saying those things about Mark Sanchez. Carroll is just pissed that he won't have Sanchez again next season.

2. Tim Tebow would never, ever get drafted before Mark Sanchez...and I like Tim Tebow.

3. Matt Stafford is a very good quarterback prospect.

10. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

You do realize your trying to talk sense into Don.

I mean, its DON!!

:lol:

11. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

...haha. I thought about not wasting my time.

12. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

This is pretty much how I interpreted it too. I think Carroll expected to him to return, and now that he isn't he's concerned he won't have a top-tier QB running his Offense with a shot to get to the National Championship next year.

Having said that, I don't think Sanchez is fully ready yet either, at least maybe not as much as Stafford or other rookie QB's have been. But I do believe he can reach/surpass that level, which is why I want us to get him.

13. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Do I know if Sanchez wiil be a great NFL QB? No, I don't....there are no sure things in the NFL draft. But, Sanchez has a lot going for him. First, he played in a Pro-Style offense and had success. Secondly, he's smart and is a winner. Sanchez getting with the right NFL team and good offensive/QB coach and give him some time.....could become an excellent QB for some NFL team. I like Sanchez's gun-slinger and let's get this ball in the end zone attitude.

Pete Carroll has an agenda, and was waaaaaaaay out of line not supporting Mark. Everything is great when it's going Pete's way. Pete Carroll isn't the all-american coach people believe.

Sanchez made the right call, he has or is about to get his degree, the entire defense is gone, he has all new offensive coaches, and next year there will be possibly 4 1st round QBs. Bradford staying sealed the deal..........a no brainer.

Great move Mark, don't look back. I expect you to be a 10-20 range pick in April.

#53 WW85, Jan 16, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  14. Force

Force New Member

I agree with you to a certain degree on Pete Carroll's motives for criticizing Marks departure........it was probably a mixture of concern for Mark and concern for his own team in 2009.

That being said Mark's backup is Mitch Mustain, the former #1 high school recruit who transferred from Arkansas along with Damian Williams and challenged Mark for the starting job in last year's camp. Mark and Damian had great chemistry but I'd be willing to bet Mitch and Damian has just as good if not better.....considering they've been playing with each other since high school.

SC also has Aaron Corp, another 5 star player behind Mustain and are bringing in the #1 QB and #1 overall recruit in the nation in Matt Barkley. Losing mark is a huge blow, but if there's any team in the nation that could afford to take that blow its SC.

15. The Uniform Bomber

Yeah, I mean a program like USC just reloads with the country's best talent at whatever position. Still, if I'm Carroll, I'd feel a lot more confident going into the season with Sanchez over Mustain. Mustain has real potential, but he didn't look that good at Arkansas.

16. The Uniform Bomber

There's a small chance this could affect his stock, depending on how much weight NFL FO's place on it. Thinking about it, Carroll's statements may ahave been very calculated, almost like an investment for future QB's on his team: If you leave early despite if I think you shouldn't, then you may not be portrayed as well publicly by me when the time comes.

Meaning, maybe the next QB who wants to leave early will seriously reconsider after hearing what Carroll said in this presser.

17. Johnny4

Johnny4 New Member

We are on the same page this year,except I think if Tyson Jackson is there at 17 we should take him. If not we need depth at RB, TJ is 31 with alot of carries and Leon isn't an every down back. We especially need it if our QB situation is what I think it will be. I like Sanchez and can't wait to see what he does at the combine. Pete was mad because his national championship walked out the door. He talked Leinert into staying in a year when he would have been #1 overall, he stayed and went #11. Charle Weis did the same to Brady Quinn. Sanchez was smart, he was selfish, good for him.

18. Popeye's Army

Popeye's Army New Member

Stafford and Sanchez are the only real top QB in this draft. Detroit, St Louis, KC (?), Seattle (?), SF (?), Chicago all have possible needs at QB. So Sanchez will likely go high. If he plays lights out at the Senior Bowl and Combine, Sanchez could even go #1. It's a long shot but stranger things have happened in the draft. More likely it will be in the top half.

So from a financial standpoint, Sanchez was absolutely correct in going pro. Sure his game would have improved with another year of college ball. But in 2010 he's also up against 3 or 4 other QB. And who knows if as many teams will need a QB in that draft. Or what the rookie salary structure will be.

19. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

If he's there when we pick and the new coach wants a QB. I wouldnt mind him.

20. The GM

The GM New Member

You and everyone else in the world. By declaring early Sanchez can go as high as #1 over Stafford or more likely #3 to KC but will not go lower than #19 to the Bucs.

If he stayed next year not only the would the rookie salary cap work against him and the money he'd make, but also the QB prospects of Sam Bradford, Colt McCoy and possibly Tim Tebow could push him out of the first round.

It was a very wise financial move by Stafford and Co.