40 year Jet fan here with top 10 worst list

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by southjerseyjets, Dec 29, 2008.

1. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Really terrible that a new NYJ fan like you do not the history of the team before becoming a fan. As Wahoo pointed out if we would have won that 69 PO game we would have then played Oak with the good possibilty we would have whipped them again like we did in 68 & then we would have been playing for our 2nd SB championship in a row

2. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Wahoo,

Please see post #36 in this thread. I had addressed it to you, but you ignored it.

Was my info incorrect?

3. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

those injuries were really bad because they still had the nucleus of the SB team intact, but things went south when the QB went down.

they were very good when they lost to the Chiefs the previous year, but the KC defense really clamped down in that playoff game, and went on to win SB IV.

4. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I wasn't born yet for the '69 Chiefs playoff game but from what I've seen and read over the years, that 1st and goal from the one yard line resulted in three runs, the last being a failed Namath bootleg. I don't recall a pass attempt, not on that specific drive. The Jets settled for the tying FG and two plays after the ensuing KO, KC was in the EZ for the game's only TD. Maybe Champ remembers, he actually lived it. In my opinion, the Jets history changed forever on that one series....

#64 mrjet80, Jan 15, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  5. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I'll have to look at the film.

6. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

I was at the game but I was a kid and dont remember many details. I remember it was cold as a witches tit and very windy. i thought there was a pass play in there, but i could just as easily be wrong.

My father used to bitch at Weeb because he always called an off-tackle run to Snell on the first offensive play of almost every game. Fans beetching at the HC is nothing new. :smile:

7. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Namath goes water skiing

8. championjets69

Yep I would say that is 100% correct at least in my opinion

9. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

If there is something worse than the Mudbowl I don't even want to know about it. That game ruined my childhood football memories.

10. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

Mea culpa, I must have confused that with another loss, perhaps earlier that season. I remember a frustrating loss like that and I guess I tied it into the KC game. Got the score wrong too. Man, it sucks getting old!

11. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

I'm surprised no one else other than me mentions that '81 home playoff loss to Buffalo in their list, where not only should we have advanced in the playoffs that year, but we came within a whisker of completing an historic comeback only to have it snatched from us in the final minute at the goal line. It was practically Byner-like. Perhaps the fact that it happened at Shea before my eyes made it worse.

12. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

lol what are you proposing? That we should make sure our kids dont growup as Jet fans lol?

13. LogeSection2RowJ

Oops - my oversight! You guys ARE sympathizing with my remembered agony over this game. I missed these posts earlier. I remember buying a blue button from an entrepreneur outside of the stadium with the words "Buffalo Bills Suck" bold in white. Paid a dollar or it. Still have it.

My seats were in the end zone and we literally squeezed down the row into our seats as the kick-off was struck. My ass hit the seat as Harper fumbled along the sideline, and before we could say "f*ck" the Bills were up 7-0. Then it got worse. I can only imagine how coach Michaels ripped them at halftime, because the Jets really played well and came back strong, up until, well, ...

14. championjets69

No just that you should learn the history of team which is exactly what my post says

15. LogeSection2RowJ

I think I remember this. I think you meant to say "missed FG" though it's understood given the topic.

Please verify this for me because I didn't recall it as being playoff-ruining. But I do remember watching this game on TV which was a treat because Jets home games were almost always blacked out in NY in this period. That fact tells me that it must have been a huge game. I remember Leahy's miss (closed end of Shea as I recall) and I also remember immediately flipping channels in disgust just in time to watch the famous Piscarcik fumble with Herm Edwards "Miracle in the Meadowland" touchdown that beat the Giants. This actually cheered me up at the time, and it probably took some heat off of Leahy in this town, if in fact they did occur on the same day. It was 30 years ago, and I was young.

Can anyone here verify? Also, Isn't it odd that the Jets and Giants, both home, would play at 1PM? I guess they weren't smart enough yet to stagger Jets and Giants TV games. Was Leahy's moment practically at the same moment of the Csonka Picarcik play??

16. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

17. mainejetsfan

mainejetsfan New Member

I was at the 69 game...it was 13-6, they had a 1st down at the KC 6 late in the 4th quarter, it was inconceivable that they wouldn't tie it and send it into overtime. For me, that's the worst moment in 49 seasons...

18. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

I'm glad I was younger when the country still had some integrity.

I used to think it sucked getting old, but not anymore. I feel bad for the next generation.

19. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Would have been 9-7 with that victory it was a chip shot like 30 yards, I was at the game and when he missed it was stunned silence from 63,000 people...

20. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Because the Jets pretty much never sold out and got on local TV, they didn't worry about TV conflicts. Plus, they had seperate stadiums, of course.

The New England loss proved in the end to be playoff ruining but at the time it didn't end our season, it was mid November. The Jets went on to beat Miami in the Orange Bowl and I think the upset at Denver might have even been after it. The real killer was the Week 15 loss at Cleveland, it was the 2nd to last game, no bye weeks back then. The Jets started the 4th quarter of that game down 27-10, rallied to take the lead 34-27, then went to OT and lost by a FG. That eliminated them completely, they hosted Dallas and lost the last game, which was meaningless by then, also not on TV.

The other thing about the New England game was it was Richard Todd's return from a collarbone injury that had him out for about six weeks. he reinjured it early in the game and was back out for the year, Matt Robinson was the QB most of that year. I was at that game, I was 11 and couldn't see it when Leahy missed the FG because everyone in front of me stood up. I knew from the reaction around me that he missed it.