Jump up and get Mark Sanchez

Discussion in 'Draft' started by MyFavoriteMartin5, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Johnny4

Johnny4 New Member

I dont. He's a party boy who was handed the job and he acts entitled. He would play well on the right team, but not in every situation. Minnesota would be a good place. His arm isn't great and he would play well in a Dome in a weak division.

2. Johnny4

Johnny4 New Member

34TD's and 10 int is horrible? Played on a team with less offensive talent than Palmer, JD Booty or Leinert IMO. He could use more reps and would stat pad at that point.

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

He doesn't have mad experience on the college level though, he played one full season practically, I mean if Pete Carrol, a coach that coached in the NFL, isnt giving you his blessings somethings not right, i think he could of used another season

4. rhodesfan16

rhodesfan16 New Member

eh I dont like Sanchez injury history I would prefer someone who is healthier

5. -MC-

-MC- Active Member

When was he injured?

6. Heavy Metal Thunder

I have been preaching my solution but no one wants to hear me...

Mark Sanchez - 34 passing TD's and 10 Int's in senior year
    Matt Stafford - 25 passing TD's and 10 Int's in senior year
    Neither has had the benefit of riding the pine in the NFL to sit and learn.
    Will require 1st round draft pick to acquire.

Troy Smith - 30 TD's, 6 Int's in senior year
    Has already watched and learned in the NFL for 2 years.
    With the success of Flacco can probably be acquired pretty cheap.

And for all those who say he is a scrambler who did nothing but run in college, his senior year he had only 62 rushing attempts (avg. 5 per game) and only 1 rushing TD. It is a myth that he doesn't have the arm and that he needed to rely on his legs. People think he was like Pat White from WVU who rushed 191 times this year (avg. 16 per game) and scored 8 rushing TD's. This kid can pass, has a better pedigree (Heisman) than Sanchez and Stafford and has had time to mature and get used to the NFL, not to mention he can be aquired much cheaper.

Well then what's the catch? The reason he was drafted so low in the first place is because he is below average height listed 6'0. Most NFL QB's are in the 6'3 - 6'6 range. But there have been shorter QB's that have done well in the past, (Tarkenton and Theissman were both under 6 feet) and if you look at the limited amount of reps he has had in the NFL his height has not hindered him. When he came in last year against the Colts he drove the Ravens down the field for a TD and his arm looked laser sharp.

I started a thread about this a while ago but not too many people on here enjoy hearing new ideas.

http://forums.theganggreen.com/showthread.php?t=41082&highlight=troy+Smith

They just repeat things like"Westhoff rules" just because everyone else says it and don't care that we were fooled like idiots on 3 punt fakes this year. They hear an idea that sounds new and they bash.

#26 Heavy Metal Thunder, Jan 15, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  7. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

He dislocated his kneecap a few weeks before the season started -- it was a freak accident.

I think he cut awkwardly and the injury happened...no muscle damage at all, so I don't know what there is to worry about.

Sanchez put an immobilizing knee brace on and played in that first game against UVA...that he was supposed to miss. He showed a ton of toughness and threw for 338 yards and 3 TDs in a 52-7 win.

8. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Troy Smith is barely 6 feet tall. So what if he didn't run the ball that much as a senior, he was still considered to be a "dual-threat" quarterback, because he would constantly roll out of the pocket. Theismann and Tarkenton played in a different type of NFL - an old school NFL - Troy Smith is not an option at QB in THIS NFL.

Troy Smith has limited reps, because he sits on the bench...where he belongs.

Pedigree? The Heisman Trophy doesn't matter in the pros - have you ever heard of Jason White or Eric Crouch?

Mark Sanchez and Matt Stafford play in offenses that are or are similar to PRO STYLE offenses, while Troy Smith HAD to play in the spread, a lot like QBs Chase Daniel and Todd Reesing, who are also too small to ALWAYS see over their linemen.

Stafford and Sanchez are first round QBs. Troy Smith is a slash-style player that has no business running a NFL offense.

Smith was a great college player and sometimes that doesn't translate over to the pro game.

9. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Sanchez is a stud, but he needs more experience. He was a great college QB, but he needs some more time.

10. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

The ideal situation for Sanchez would be a sit and watch season - like Carson Palmer.

11. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

To trade up to 9 = 1,350 points

Our First and 2nd = 1,360 points.

While I would like a QB. I am willing to let a guy fall to us instead of spending both of our first two picks on him. If we were talking Stafford or Bradford yea, but not Sanchez. I just don't think he is on thier level. Although I have been known to be wrong. Often. :smile:

12. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Coming out of high school, Mark Sanchez was the #1 rated pro-style quarterback. He has all the talent in the world. I agree with all of the guys saying he doesn't have enough experience, but that really means nothing...if Sanchez is drafted by a team that has a veteran QB in place, he'll be able to sit and learn for a season.

I think he'll be a big time quarterback in the NFL.

...the thing about Sanchez being rated the #1 pro style passer in the nation is -- Matt Stafford was given the same label in the next year.

13. Carpetbagger

Carpetbagger Well-Known Member

Considering all the draft picks that we have traded away the past few years and considering how deep the draft is this year (that you are trading away huge value by trading 2nd or 3rd round picks) it is not a good idea to trade up for anyone.

There is a reasonable amount of chance that Sanchez could fall, considering the Rams plethora of needs and the Chiefs having Thigpen (who I am thoroughly impressed with). Also, judging recent history of drafts, the second qb prospect has fallen due to the lack of motivation for teams to be drafting a qb.

So, Sanchez could fall, that is the first option. The second option is if Sanchez does not fall and I believe that Nate Davis would be a great pick, if that were to occur. Good arm, puts touch on the ball when needed, decent size and starred with little talent around him.

14. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info Mr.E

That said, looking at the point values, would you be willing to make a trade up to 9 for him? Is he worth a first and second?

Just curious.

15. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

No problem man.

Even with the limited cap space we have, free agency will be huge this year. Will Rex Ryan be able to bring in some solid defensive players through FA -- filling some holes like ILB, S, CB, and maybe even DE through FA would be huge for the upcoming draft. It would give the Jets a lot of flexibility with this year's picks. Staying with a 3-4 coach makes thing a whole lot easier.

It really depends on how this draft shapes up...this year, Mark Sanchez and Matt Stafford are the only two quarterbacks worthy of being selected in the entire first round...and both look like they'll be picked in within the top ten.

Apparently, our next coach is Rex Ryan, who's a defensive minded coach. Will his defensive background sway him towards a defender in the first round? I don't know.

I'm going to divide this next part up into offensive and defensive prospects:

DEFENSIVE PROSPECTS worthy of being selected at 17:

The BIG name defensive players like Malcolm Jenkins, Aaron Curry, Everette Brown, and Brian Orakpo should all be gone in the top ten. If Curry falls to pick 9, a trade up would be very, very smart.

The borderline top ten to top fifteen guys like Rey Maualuga, Vontae Davis, and William Moore may be available at 17. Maualuga benefits from Brandon Spikes staying at UF -- he'll probably go a few spots higher now that there's a weaker linebacker class. Davis needs to run a 40 in the 4.3s to stay in that top ten to top twelve range. With Taylor Mays staying at USC, William Moore is now the draft's top safety. I can see Houston or New England targeting Moore.

I can see guys like Mizzou's DT Ziggy Hood and UVA's LB Clint Sintim rising quite a bit after the combine, but at 17 either MIGHT be a reach.

OFFENSIVE PROSPECTS worthy of being selected at 17:

If you're looking for a quarterback in the first round, Mark Sanchez and Matt Stafford are the only two guys worth that pick. Trading up eight spots for Sanchez will NOT have an immediate impact. I see him as a sit and learn rookie. He needs to be brought into this game slowly...a lot like former USC QB Carson Palmer. Trading up might be worth it in the long run, but certainly not right away.

This running back class is pretty deep, so trading out that 17 slot and out of the second might not be all that smart - LeSean McCoy, Chris Wells, Knowshon Moreno, Shonn Greene, and Donald Brown top off a solid class at RB. It's not an immediate need, but all of these guys have shown the ability to be feature backs in the NFL. McCoy and Moreno are the most likely of the top three to be available at 17.

A lot of guys on this board want a receiver, but 2009 isn't the year to get a wideout. Mike Crabtree will most definitely be gone, and Jeremy Maclin could be too. 2010 is loaded with #1 receivers - Arrelious Benn and Dez Bryant are two of the best receiver prospects in a long time. This isn't the year to draft a wideout HIGH.

I honestly don't know how smart it would be to trade away two high picks for a young quarterback that wouldn't contribute RIGHT AWAY. It has its pros and its cons -- I believe that Mark Sanchez is the real deal, but in the end, it just matters what the FO thinks.

16. Popeye's Army

Popeye's Army New Member

I like Sanchez but think he'll be long gone by the time we pick. Also I'd like to give the guys we have a shot. We've got 2 or maybe even 3 guys who could be in the mix. Let's see what they can do.

The Jets should go D first and get an impact player. We need help on that side of the ball the most. Maybe a top CB or S. Or ILB if Little Animal falls to us.

If the Jets suck in 2009 then we'd have one of the top picks in a QB heavy draft. We know 3 good prospects should be there already. So let's build up the D now while we can.

17. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Overall a wonderful post.

Bradford staying in has really dashed my hopes of a top QB slipping to 17. I truely feel we are in a great position to bring one along. If Sanchez somehow fell to 17 it should be a no brainer of a pick for our FO, no matter who's running the ship. That said a defensive satff may want immidate help there and several very good players wil still be around at that point.

Sigh, April is too damn far off.

18. tom spicer

tom spicer New Member

Pros
    1 Played in a pro style O
    2 Has a good arm
    3 Great numbers
    4 He wants to win I saw after the 1 loss he had this year he spiked his helmet on the concrete & flipped out not like so Jet players who dont care either way win or lose

Cons
    1 Pac 10 does not have good defensive teams
    2 1 year as starter

But I would love to get him

19. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

You can rag on the PAC-10 for not having good defenses all you want...I don't think you should knock Sanchez for that though.

He completely shredded the two best defenses in the Big 10.

20. tom spicer

tom spicer New Member

I said I would love to get him if you read the last line I am not knocking him I just think Matt Stafford would be a better pick at this point same arm, same great numbers, also played in a pro style O but played vs much better competition in the SEC & has 3 years under his belt of playing.