Jump up and get Mark Sanchez

Discussion in 'Draft' started by MyFavoriteMartin5, Jan 14, 2009.

1. MyFavoriteMartin5

MyFavoriteMartin5 New Member

I am pumped this guy declared, if he doesn't go #1 I think the only other team that would take him in the top 10 would be San Fran, I don't think the Chiefs will take a QB and quite frankly I think it would be stupid considering their defense only had 10 sacks all season. I think this guy is ready to be an NFL QB, he has a better arm than Leinhart, and I think we can get to 9. I don't think its out of the realm of possibility.

GET MARK SANCHEZ, WE NEED A QB

Thoughts?

2. -MC-

-MC- Active Member

Let him drop to us..

3. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

I'm not a big Sanchez fan. He doesn't read defenses because he doesnt have to with the talent around him. He has a very good arm and is extremely accurate but he can make his presnap reads and pretty much never have to look off because his guy is always better then the defender covering him. Plus the last two heralded QB's to come out of USC have had mixed success. If he fell to 17 I'd consider it more but I don't think he's worth trading up for.

4. MyFavoriteMartin5

MyFavoriteMartin5 New Member

Wow, i guess i'm overrating this guy, i'm just not sure about Stafford, and the qbs we have now are a mixed bag.

5. sanchizeqb

sanchizeqb Active Member

Detroit, St. Louis and Kansas City will all be looking for a QB and they have the top 3 picks in the draft in that order.

6. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Are you serious? He doesn't read defenses because...he has talent around him? He still has to read the coverage and find his receivers and/or call audibles. It's a shame that he committed to the best college football program in the nation...give me a break.

USC is loaded at running back, not receiver - sure they have a ton of awesome receiver recruits, but only Damian Williams has looked like a solid pro prospect. Ron Johnson will probably become one down the road, but he had a mediocre freshman season. Patrick Turner never lived up to the hype that surrounded him coming out of high school.

Mark Sanchez is a young guy -- a gunslinger -- so what if he forces in there every now and then, he's 21 years old. When he matures as a player, he'll get better. He has all the athleticism in the world...and the potential to be a star.

No one knocked Carson Palmer for having talent around him. That's a ridiculous claim -- it's a team sport, and Sanchez is clearly their leader on offense.

USC QB's have mixed success?

Matt Leinart will get his chance. Maybe not in Arizona, but he'll get his chance. You ever heard of Steve Young? He sucked in his first couple years as a pro QB...

Leinart's college backup, Matt Cassel is really good...for some unknown reason.

I assume the other guy you're talking about is John David Booty...and he hasn't even played a snap in the NFL. How can you say he's had mixed success?

Also - Carson Palmer was excellent in 2005 and 2006. The Bengals are a mess.

#6 Mr Electric, Jan 14, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  7. DraftaFullBack

DraftaFullBack Active Member

You couldn't name one of his offensive linemen without looking it up.

8. zace

zace Well-Known Member

I noticed from watching his games he does have problems reading defenses, but its not that detrimental. His real problem, i noticed, is he eyes his receivers the whole way. The Rose Bowl is proof of that. You can get away with it in college, but it will be a problem in the NFL. He could be a good QB, but he is hardly worth a 1st. He would be worth a 2nd or 3rd.

9. l29washington

l29washington New Member

I was really hoping Bradford, Stafford and Sanchez all declared so one could have slid to 17, but I think we have too many needs to trade up especially into the top 10 for a QB, so I think I speak for the majority of Jet fans when I say we should just stay pat an fill as many of our needs as possible.

10. zace

zace Well-Known Member

I agree, but i dunno that we have to many needs, as much as just playing consistently.

11. l29washington

l29washington New Member

Zace, we definitely have a bunch of needs. DE, ILB, CB, S, WR, QB, and it always helps to grab depth in the later round at either NT or HB.

12. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Yeah depth can't hurt.

13. TheCoolerGlennFoley

I used the word heralded because I was talking about Leinart and Carson Palmer. I think the term mixed success is accurate for those two.

I like Sanchez as a prospect, I just don't think he's worth the price it would be to move up. He has alot of athletic talent, like I said. But what we've seen lately is a good portion of QB's that come through college on great teams don't have as much success in the NFL. The Matt Leinart and Vince Youngs of the NFL don't seem to be adapting as well as the Jay Cutler, Matt Ryan, Joe Flaccos. It's not a knock on these guys personally, its not like you're going to pass up on USC or Texas to play at Vanderbilt or BC, but from what I've seen the QB's on the great teams seem to get a bit spoiled with the talent around them and when they get to the next level and the playing field is even they have a harder time adjusting.

14. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

i'd say that another comparison of those two groupings you mentioned are the maturity levels of each side.

Leinart and Young are not mentally there yet while the other 3 seemed to just have it in them to do well immediately.

Could be chip on their shoulder, or that no one was around putting them on a national pedestal during the season. Ryan was adored at BC though, Cutler at Vandy.

Young and Leinart have good players around them. Their teams are top playoff teams this year. They both gave out to older FA QBs. Kinda funny how that worked out.

15. TheCoolerGlennFoley

Yeah that definetly is a possibility. Again this isn't a cold hard fact, it's just something I've noticed. You look at the QB's that have been on great teams in the last few years that have been selected early in the draft and they havent fared as well. You've got more QB's coming out of the MAAC or schools like Vandy or BC or NC State playing better then the guys coming out of the big schools. I can't even think of the last QB to start on a National Championship team and turn into the kind of pro that is worth the price trading up from 17 to top 7 or so.

16. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

I can confidently say that no QBs have ever come out of the MAAC schools.

Siena, Niagara, Rider, Fairfield, Manhattan, Marist, Iona, Saint Peter's, Loyola (MD), and Canisius aren't exactly brimming with NFL talent.

Just kidding.

But as for Sanchez, I believe he's going to be a terrific NFL QB. He's got the athletic ability, the arm strength, and the leadership ability to make it. As far as issues with reads, etc., Sarkisian's offense only requires the QB to read half the field. This was the same thing that people brought up when knocking Leinart a few years back.

What appears to be him locking down on receivers is just the quick strike offense that the Trojans have. That's just the way they do things though, everything's fast, it's all about keeping the defense off balance. It will be an adjustment, no question, but it's nothing that some NFL coaching can't develop with skills like Sanchez has.

17. hazmat

hazmat New Member

I still think Leinart is going to be a good NFL qb but he does need to grow up. He has all the tools, he's not going to gun the ball like a Favre (we saw how useless having a big arm is) but he can make every throw. I watched him warm up in the pre game against the Jets and he has great footwork, size, quick release.

18. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Then he needs to sit for a year to adjust. Thats what they did with Palmer and it worked. Or was Palmer under Coordinator Chow back in the day?

19. Johnny4

Johnny4 New Member

I am a Sanchez fan. He would do very well in a West Coast style offense. People will see him at the combine and compare him to Flacco(although Flacco threw some of the best deep balls I have ever seen). Great feet, terrific athlete, accurate and strong arm(not a cannon).Smart kid and a nice kid. Biggest questions will be health, experience and gageing his arm strength. Needs to beef up. I might be tempted to take him over Stafford if I were Detroit.

20. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

You have to be kidding me. That guy is horrible. He played well in the bowl game. Before that, he looked so overrated.