New York Daily News reports Rex Ryan will be the Jets next HC ...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsFan, Jan 14, 2009.

1. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Good news for Jet fans!!!

"The New York Daily News reports Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan will be the next head coach of the Jets "barring an unexpected development."

The paper goes on to say that Ryan will be in place as head coach by early next week if the Steelers beat the Ravens in the AFC Championship Game. The Jets still want to interview Giants DC Steve Spagnuolo a second time, but they clearly prefer Ryan and the sooner they can hire him the better.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2009/01/13/2009-01-13_rex_ryan_jets_into_lead.html

----------

John Clayton reports Rex will keep Schott as OC to please Woody ...

"Rex Ryan reportedly told the Jets that he will consider keeping Brian Schottenheimer as offensive coordinator if given the head-coaching job."

Ryan was in the same position as Schottenheimer (coordinator on the brink of becoming a head coach) last year. He says he'd keep Schottenheimer, and if all goes well, allow him to move up the ladder elsewhere in 2010.

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blo...t=http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index%
    ----------

I hope Rex keep Westoff and brings in a good 3-4 DC to do his bidding.

2. ibleedgreen7476

God I hope this is true!

:finssuck: :buffaloblows: :pats_suck:

3. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

The girl in the avatar should stick around for a while...she's not the only thing growing on me....<rimshot>

4. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

I want to see the press conference where Rex is wearing a Jet hat before i get excited.

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

What exactly about Brian Schottenheimer's performance as OC the last 2 years warrants keeping him on when the Jets are trying to turn the page? All I see is broken QB's everywhere I look and an offense that is foolishly predictable in it's play-calling tendencies.

6. JetsFan

I have a few other avatars I've created that are just as good!

Rex will make the sideline and backfield more exciting too!

7. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

What the hell is that all about? I knew Woody wanted Favre in here but I didn't consider that meddling because I thought Mangini and Tannbaum were both down with that.

But if this is true, if Ryan "has to" keep Schotty because Woody wants him here... that's nonsense. Ryan should be able to bring in whoever the hell he wants and run his own show.

Perhaps the reporter got it wrong or it's overblown (i.e., Ryan is cool with having Schotty stay). This just doesn't fit somehow. It's one thing if Ryan is okay with Schottenheimer and wants to work with him, but a whole other story if assistant coaches are going to be jammed down his throat.

If Woody starts doing that, Jets fans are REALLY going to get pissed. Woody's just not enough of a "football" guy to be meddling to that extent.

8. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

**yawn**...another day another prediction..last week it was Schitenheimer and Spagnuolo and I forget who else. Everyday another beat writer trying to earn his keep.

9. Section 227. Row 5

It's unclear yet how much input or control Mangini had on Schottenheimer. There've been some comments made that have caused speculation in that regard, but nothing concrete.

I hope we eventually find out and I actually hope that was the case. It was curious that Tanny got rid of Mangini but yet chose to keep Schotty, but if that were the case (Mangini mandated what Schotty was to do, call, who to insert, how to play them, etc.), that would explain that.

10. JetsFan

Maybe another rumor, but t least I like this one! I do think it's more solid than a rumor!

REX REX REX!!!!

11. Section 227. Row 5

She can sit on my face any time.

12. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

If this has an ounce of truth to it, this would be awesome news. But like it was mentioned, i'd rather wait...Ah fuck it, I'm a Jets fan. I will get my hopes up.

Fuck the Super Bowl. Let the 2009 NFL Draft begin!

13. JetsFan

Need to rotate her out before someone pulls something and gets hurt.

14. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

i think we have a new champion in the avatar dept.

all HAIL the "post it note"!

15. JetsFan

I thought some of you would like post-it!

16. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

No! Leave her there! I'm hoping some of those stickies will fall off if she stays there long enough!

17. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

Yeah, I also wonder how much of his playcalling was hindered by Mangini. This will be the only way to find out. I agree, Schotty hasn't proven squat, except that, at times, he can be completely inept. I think if he's urged to be more aggressive, along with more work & input from Callahan, he has potential.

The bigger question is, what's the deal with Sutton?

18. jets94nj

jets94nj Active Member

I hope the only rumor is him keeping Schott

19. bigalxc

bigalxc Active Member

I won't believe anything until I see the press confernce

20. DownAndOut

DownAndOut Member

Sutton, based upon the way each squad played has to be at greater risk. I think the only reason he was to not let him go yet is to see if the new HC wants to demote him to some lesser defensive role.