Worse NFL Franchises than the Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by LoyalJetsFan, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Why is that?

The Jets have not won an NFL championship. That is a fact. They won one AFL title, but never won an NFL title. The Super Bowl win did not make the Jets the 1968 NFL Champions. Rather, it made them World Champions.

By the way, in 1969 the Minnesota Vikings won a National Football League championship. Of course, they then proceeded to lose the Super Bowl and therefore were not World Champions.

2. Phyr

Phyr Member

I just went to a Lions forum and they have been talking about the draft since the beginning of October.

3. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

I should have phrased that better. NFL or AFL championships pre-1966, NFL championships post-1969, and AFL-NFL world championships. Teams play to win the championship.. I'd rather have one win than none at all. That's just my opinion.

4. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I saw a few people note the Bills and maybe a couple people noted the Oilers/Titans as being worse than the Jets. I don't agree that those two teams have worse histories than the Jets.

The Titans (Jets) were one of eight original AFL teams. The Titans/Jets have lost more games than any of the other seven teams.

Here is a list of league championships won by those teams-
    Raiders- 4 (AFL 1967; NFL 1976, 1980, 1983)
    Patriots- 3 (NFL 2001, 2003, 2004)
    Texans/Chiefs- 3 (AFL 1962, 1966, 1969)
    Bills- 2 (AFL 1964, 1965)
    Broncos- 2 (NFL 1997, 1998)
    Oilers/Titans- 2 (AFL 1960, 1961)
    Chargers- 1 (AFL 1963)
    Titans/Jets- 1 (AFL 1968)

The best teams to compare the Jets to are the Raiders, Patriots, Chiefs, Bills, Broncos, Titans, and Chargers. Those seven teams are the only teams that have played the same number of regular season games as the Jets in the same leagues and under the same rules.

5. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

The Jets are definitely the worst of those 7, I agree. I completely forgot the Bills won in 64 and 65. Dammit.

#45 GBA, Jan 12, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  6. packerbacker1234

packerbacker1234 New Member

Uh, vikings I disagree with. Nice run in the 70's, and they were good in the late to early 2000'a with culpepper and moss. Also, recently, they've been very comopetitive, and just won the NFC North.

Cardinals: Yeah, they suck. But hey, they may win a Super Bowl this year.

The rest? Completely agree. If we talk about RIGHT NOW (last 5 years), Raiders would need to be on that list.

7. LoyalJetsFan

LoyalJetsFan New Member

No way dude, you can't hang your hat on a win 40 years ago and tell me its better than the 4 in a row Buffalo went to.

Even the Bungles made it twice in the 80's.

The titans are worse than us? you're nuts.

The Eagles? Are you even half awake? they made it to the NFC championship game 5 times in the past 10 years!!!

I have responded enough to your ridiculous post.

8. Chrisp22

Chrisp22 Active Member

I say leave the Chiefs and Browns on the list. They both have stunk recently and have our ex-coaches leading them to failure.

Vikings, I agree with you.

9. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

They were .500 this year and last year. They've never been better than that though.

10. jjc92787

jjc92787 New Member

The Texans, Cardinals, Saints, Lions, Seahawks, Falcons, and Bengals are all worse at the very least at least in my mind. The Jets have had very little rock bottom points and have been in the playoffs or close to them often enough.

11. DMSMaven

DMSMaven Member

Sorry but I have to put the Bills in there ... Sure they had 4 straight SB appearances, came close in one and got toasted in the other 3 ... I'd rather be 1-0 in the SB than 0-4 ... As for recent times, the last time the Bills made the playoffs was I beleive 1999 when the lost to the Titans on the Music City Miracle ....

12. section134

section134 Active Member

you can also include in your list teams that appeared in 1 sb and didn't win

san diego
    seattle
    tennessee/houston
    carolina

that's about 10 franchises worse than the jets

13. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

H'mm the Chiefs won the SB the year after we did so how do they make the list?

14. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

Are we talking worse now or worse all time. If it is now we are right above the Lions for Last place.

1. Browns-Despite Mangini they have two Qb's, Kellen Winslow, Braylon Edwards and Joe Thomas.
    2.Vikings-Adrian Peterson. Nuff said
    3. Chiefs- Gonna go on a limb and say Thigpin will improve.
    4. Lions-Calvin Johnson is better than anything on our team but that franchise is haunted.
    5. Cardinals-Self Explanatory
    6. Saints-Most wasted Talent in the Nfl
    7. Falcons-Michael Turner and Matt Ryan. Nuff said.
    8. Jets-Nick Mangold, Darrel Revis, Leon Washington and some other ok guys and guys who play when they want too. Rhodes took a step back this year. Faneca, Coles, Jenkins and Thomas Jones are old and a Hit or injury away from the broadcast booth.

#54 FOURTHANDLONG, Jan 13, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  15. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

How do you figure? Barry Sanders ring a bell?

16. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/

overall winning percentage is really the best way to look at this. the vikings have the 8th highest winning percentage in the history of the league so i wouldnt put them anywhere near this list.

the bengals, cardinals,saints, falcons, bucs and texans all have a lower percentage than the jets so i would put those franchises in this list. granted there are amount of playoff appearances, superbowls and superbowl and championship wins to look at too but you would have to do percentages on those things per year and i really dont feel like doing all that math. bottom line is that we are way too close to the bottom. and really could use a couple winning seasons in a row, preferably 10-6 or 11-5 as 9-7 isnt getting you anywhere fast.

17. FOURTHANDLONG

I was actually talking about the state of the teams at this time. Barry Sanders to me is the Greatest Running back of all time. He did not have the desire to break the Alltime rushing record and he did it with no help for years.

18. Italian Seafood

What I mean is Detroit had him all those years and still got nowhere. Having one great player doesn't guarantee you much of anything.

19. FOURTHANDLONG

I would take one great player to build around right now. I can't remember the time we had a talent like that on our team in my lifetime. We have had good guys but never a game changer like that.

20. Italian Seafood

Leon Washington is a game changer, he just doesn't get the ball enough. You can hand it off, kick or pass it to him and he's dangerous. I've been saying it since he got here, I thought he should have been the #1 back since his rookie year.