Identity is our problem

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by RochesterJet, Jan 11, 2009.

1. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

I know that it sounds clich?, but offense wins games and Defense win championships. Take a look at the Giants last year. Now this year 3 of the final 4 teams rank 1,2,3 in total defense. Pittsburg is 1st with Baltimore 2nd, and Philly 3rd, the Cardinals are 13th but have arguable the best offense in the NFL. The reason why I say this is that the JETS have no identity. We are not a running team (we should be) and we all know that we have tried to throw the ball and be a passing team (and by drafting Keller I think you will continue to see us go that way) with minimal results. As we have seen more times than not (besides the colts in 06) most teams win with a solid running game that controls the clock and a stout defense that keeps the other teams defense on the field by forcing turnovers and three and outs. Pittsburg wins that way, Philly uses doses of westbrook and a short passing game with lost of screens to emulate a run, and Baltimore uses Laron and Willis to control the clock.
    All I am saying is that until we get an identity we will NEVER and I mean NEVER shake the identity of a failing organization that has no direction and is a borderline laughingstock of a franchise. Even more reason to be pissed if we don?t get Rex or Spags!

2. GSourJr

GSourJr New Member

I 100% agree. And it is the owner (Rooney, Mara, etc) that establishes what the team's MO will be.

What an identity does is at least give the GM and coach a plan to build against and keeps them from starting and stopping and starting over.

3. RochesterJet

I will shit myself if we go back to a 4-3....shopws the lack of direction. In any other business that person would be fired or the employees would revolt!

4. RochesterJet

This is why Rex makes the most sense for me. We get to keep the 3-4 and we will, trust me will create turnovers and pressure the QB. None of this sit back in a zone shit like Sutton was doing. Rhodes will be blitzing not 35 yards down the field preventing the big play

5. zace

zace Well-Known Member

How is it the owners job to do that? The owners don't coach or call plays. Identity is the responsibility of the coaching staff. The players either fit the style of play or they don't. The Rooney's did not establish that type of play for the Steelers. The coaches did.

6. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

the owners hires the coaches. If he hires a 4-3, then a 3-4, and then goes back and forth every 4 years, and hires coaches with completely different philosophies each time, then there is no identity or consistency.

7. zace

zace Well-Known Member

So what you're saying is it is the coaching. Its not the owner. I wish people would stop looking to blame the owner for everything.

8. RochesterJet

Because as in the "real worl" the owner of a business hires a manager with an idea of his phillosophy and the pices the compnay already in place. This is Woodys and TBaums problem.....NO IDENTITY because they are not football people, they are business men. When will you relize this. That is why I have respect for the Giants and the Steelers, these organizations are run by true football families!

9. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

I kind of got that idea during Favre's pre-game rally before the Miami game. Direct quote: "Come on guys, let's go out and play our game whatever that is".

10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Yeah, right, we can go out and hire rookies HCs forever, change offensive and defensive schemes drastically every 3 years, cut or trade 1st round picks with each new regime, and it will never have anything to do with ownership? Wake up.

11. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

Lol. That sort of summed up the season for me when I heard him say that.

12. RochesterJet

thats what I'm saying, until our owner finds his identity, how will he know what direction to go with this team?

13. sect105

sect105 New Member

I thought that our identity was "smart, tough and hard working", until our QB ended the year with 2 TD and 9 picks.

14. zace

zace Well-Known Member

You need to wake up and understand how football team dynamics really work. The owner isn't the one making the sideline decisions. The owner writes checks and reaps rewards of what his employees do. Do you understand business at all? I take it you don't.

15. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I understand it well enough to realize that what you just posted is a childish and simplistic version of it that doesn't take into account the success of the owner's business and his business model.

16. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Really? I don't think you do. Woody Johnson is not the coach. He is the owner. The owner hires the coach to make his franchise successful. How the coach goes about doing that is up to him. There is your identity. The coach installs his system, and it doesn't work. The owner then finds a new coach to establish what they believe is the correct way to play. The cycle can continue or delay. See here is the problem with you're theory. How can you have an identity to follow, if one has never been established by a COACH. Woody isn't out the making up and calling plays, which by the way is you're identity, the coaching staff is. The Steelers like stout D and running the football, so they got a coach who like to call those kinds of plays. A defensive coach who is more likely to call those types of plays. You this the Steelers owner said one day, "We are gonna win by playing defense reall really good"? No, he hired a coach who was successful and that has just been that particular teams mo since. So why would he want to follow the models of coaches who have yet to be successful? There are plenty of teams who don't have that "identity" your talking about. Look at the Charger. The way they play changes yearly. You gonna blame their owner for that? That is the coaching staffs decision on play calling. You really don't understand the business aspect of football. If you did, you wouldn't be blaming it on the owner.

17. zace

zace Well-Known Member

I realize this when you spell world right. Next, how is it the owners fault that Mangini, who said that the he purposely changed the game the team played weakly, couldn't decide on pass or run. Did it ever occur to anyone that may have been one of the reasons he was fired? When herm was the coach the Jets were a running team. HERM decided it was a running team. Did you all forget that?

18. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Woody is a kind hearted charitable man and we run a kind hearted and charitable D and an O that tries to fool you so the oppositon doesn't feel bad when we happen to score.

19. lobacz87

lobacz87 New Member

Identity is overrated...why would you want the opposing team to know what your "MO" is?...a great team can do it all and will try to keep opposing teams guessing...Mangini tried to do that with this team but the execution sucked...everyone is always preaching identity...ITS OVERRATED!!! Why did the Giants win last year?...they could attack you so many DIFFERENT ways...

20. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

You can't do everything well and execute. If you execute a few things really well you don't need to fool people. Trying to fool people is for teams that are physically at a disadvantage in a one game match up. It rarely works for a season or as part of building something great.