Leftwich: Looking for a starting job elsewhere

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Rocinante, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Rocinante

Rocinante New Member

Per the Chicago Sun Times (http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/bears/1372863,CST-SPT-afcside12.article)

Leftwich is interested in finding another place where he can come in and become the starter. He has made it be known that Chicago may be a destination. Why not New York if the job is available?

If Favre indeed retires I believe he is definitely someone we could look to as a potential starter. We know that Leftwich has a live arm and has been a capable backup this year with Pittsburgh. I'd like to get your guys' thoughts on this.

2. JETSFAN1290

JETSFAN1290 Banned

We already tried the Marshall connection.

3. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

He'd be a good veteran to bring in to compete with the younger guys and we could probably get him at a good price. Hopefully Clemens or Ratliff can beat him out for the job, but if not he'd be OK until he got injured.

4. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Leftwich is a fat baloney sandwich...no

5. Rocinante

Rocinante New Member

Are Clemens and Ratliff better than Leftwich?

6. zace

zace Well-Known Member

The answer is............................................No.

7. DownAndOut

DownAndOut Member

I think he would be a good pickup. Life arm and should be able to compete for a job agaisnt Clemens and Ratliff.

8. MeanGreens08

MeanGreens08 Member

i really like the idea of bringing in a guy like leftwich in. I actually mentioned this while i was watching the game last night.

He def got a bum rap in Jax I really dont think Del Rio ever liked him. As for Atlanta last year well that whole team was a joke. This guy has proven to be a capable QB in this league. A superstar no, but more than capable.

The only real downside is that he is so injury prone. The last thing we need behind center is another egg shell.

9. e-x

e-x New Member

i would sign him if we get ryan as our coach

ryan is going to want to run a conservative offense, leftwich has good physical tools (quick release, decent arm) to get that done

10. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Thier potential is much greater then his. Leftwich has a slow release and has become what he is going to be i nthe NFL. A lowest tier starter and a good backup. I would rather have thew two kids battle it out then give this guy the job.

11. Wolfe Tone

Wolfe Tone New Member

He has a great arm, he does well making decisions, so i would vote yes as we have a good line

His delivery is slow maybe even slower than his footwork

I would rather have him and a small price tag and happy go lucky attitude than Favre's drama and giant price tag

Have a battle to see what happens, if more potential is shown by the young guys put em in but he would be a good fallback

12. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I've never though of Leftwich of having a quick release. I feel that its one of the things that really hold him back.

13. Rocinante

Rocinante New Member

Leftwich as starter: 24-20, 52 TD/38 INT
    Clemens: 3-5 record, 5 TD/11 INT

For argument sake, second year statistics:

Clemens: 52% completion percentage, 1529 yds 5 TD 10 INT 60.9 RTG
    Leftwich: 60.5% completion percentage, 2941 yds 15 TD 10 INT 82.2 RTG

Things have changed since then. Clemens is a year more mature while Byron has had his ups and downs and flameouts(in ATL, although he was still 3-2 as a starter). Regardless of this, Leftwich makes our QB group immediately more competitive, his experience is invaluable.

14. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

I'd be more than happy with a Leftwich-Clemens-Ratliff competition.

15. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Ahppy with a Competition? Yes, but I have my doubts he sings here unless he is guarenteed a starting job. That I would not be willing to do.

16. sect105

sect105 New Member

Yuck, let him go to Chicago.

17. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

I like the idea of having a cheaper vet QB coming in and helping our younger guys out, that being Clemens, Ratty, and a rookie QB if drafted. If he wins the job in camp/preseason then let him start, and if he struggles early we can bring in the whoever wins the 2nd QB spot.

If Leftwich is that guy we decide to be that vet, I would be happy with that. Not thrilled, but happy. He has shown he can be a good NFL QB.

18. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

I guess because he made that great throw that Sweed dropped in the Steeler-Charger game its time to bring him in here lol.

Leftwhich is a guy that I have always been a fan of. He played ok in Jacksonville but got forced out by Garrard and never really got a chance to play in Atlanta. He's worth a look in my opinion and bringing him in here and giving him a shot to compete for a starting job wouldnt be a terrible idea.

#18 kevmvp, Jan 12, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  19. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

my initial reaction was no. but i would like him or a guy like him. he would probably be the guy coming out of camp. but he wouldn't be an untouchable like favre, so if he struggles he goes to the bench and one of the young guys gets a chance.

20. solidd36

solidd36 New Member

If farve doesn't come back and we can get him for a fair amount, then why not. We would want a veteran qb to back up our rookies.