Can someone please explain to me the love affair with Brett Ratliff?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by abyzmul, Jan 7, 2009.

1. The Grim Revis

The Grim Revis New Member

People listening to anything Francessa says is asinine. That guy is an idiot.

I liked what I saw from Ratliff, but I don't have the man-crush on him that everyone else does here. I still like Clemens a lot, and I think he could be a very good NFL QB.

If it was up to me though, we'd draft either Stafford or Mark Sanchez. Preferably Sanchez.

2. Chrisp22

Chrisp22 Active Member

Bingo on this post. If you also remember, Willis McGahee began the season with a bad knee and Ray Rice was projected to get lots of carries. The fact that their defense has carried their team until they got Flacco up to speed and their running game sorted out is a credit to their coaching staff.

3. ghostridergo

ghostridergo New Member

Well if we didnt have Brett this year and we cut or tried Pennington we might have seen what he can do. Thats why I said time and time again get Favre was a big mistake. We should have just gotten Leftwich instead of Farve and we wouldnt have had to give up pick and we wouldnt be so set back like we are now. No coach

4. ghostridergo

ghostridergo New Member

I would like to see how both do with the new offensive honestly, I would have also liked to see how Pennington would have done with this OL. But oh well time to start looking to the future and see who will be our coach and QB

5. njjet

njjet Member

There?s no QB on the roster that stands out. There should be an open competition for the job even if Farve comes back. Additionally, we should draft a QB this year. My choice is Mark Sanchez; Quarterback, USC.

Of course our #1 problem right now t to get a new Head Coach. Ryan is the man for the job.

6. Chrisp22

Chrisp22 Active Member

So in reality, you didn't like the signing of Faneca, Woody, Pace and Richardson last season?

A third year player? He was a third stringer this past season and a practice squad player in '07. Since he was only on the roster this season, I would consider him a rookie.

I also pointed out that he does not have too much experience running a pro style offense. Let the young man learn for another year or two and if he continues to impress, he will warrant playing time.

It seems to me that many are overrating certain players based on such little experience. Ratliff and Clowney are two such players. I want these guys to suceed but they have to put in their time, learn their craft and bump an incumbent player. If this game was easy, anyone could play it.

7. Long Time Jet Fan

Long Time Jet Fan New Member

The Jets signed those players to play with either Pennington or Clemens. At the time they had no idea Favre was going to be their QB. They also thought and hoped Clemens would be their starting QB. So they signed those players with the expectation that Clemens would be able to play with them. Why is that not still the case? Just because I think Ratliff has a better chance at being a franchise QB doesn't mean the team shouldn't sign better players. The Jets will never ever win a Super Bowl with Favre, so let's go with one of the youngsters and possibly draft a QB if you don't like what you have now.

He may not have a lot of experience but next year Ratliff will be a third-year players. Rookie QBs do play and start in this league. I'd give Ratliff a start and if he looks terrible go to Clemens. In all likelihood if Favre doesn't return the Jets will sign another veteran as a backup. All Favre is going to do next year is continue to retard the growth of the young Jet QBs.

As far as learning the pro system, he's looked pretty dang good thus far. I don't know how you can say he can't do it just because he doesn't have a ton of experience. As far as outplaying the competition, I think Ratliff did a pretty good job of that when given the chance.

8. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Francesa is not an idiot. Arrogant? Sure. Wrong on certain things? Absolutely. But he's more in the know than any one of us.

9. 43Chubby

43Chubby New Member

Ratliff

What the hell is the lover affair with this guy? He played well against guys who are selling cars right now.. If he is as good as you guys think he is.. He would have been the number 2 when CP was still on the team.. That fact that we traded for Brett Farve means that Ratliff was not capable of beating out Clemons and CP. Everyone was screaming for Clemons last year and look how good he played....

10. MexJetinBcn

MexJetinBcn New Member

There is another big thread, exactly like yours, and the name is Clemens, not Clemons

11. 43Chubby

43Chubby New Member

I'll spell it right when he earns the right to be talked about as worthy QB in the NFL...

12. MexJetinBcn

MexJetinBcn New Member

I'm sure he's really concerned about the way you spell his name. Continue to punish him!!!

13. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Well, you can only play against what's in front of you. Ratliff looked very good in his only appearances. It would be tough for him to have done any more.

If he had been awful, it would have been fair to say "he struggled against people who are now selling cars. Cut him." The fact that he did well does not annoint him as a starter, but it does mean he passed that first test and deserves to move up to the next level. Only then will we know what he really has.

I think the excitement comes from the fact that he showed a good arm, some poise and pocket presence.

Plus, we badly need a quarterback right now. I don't see a love affair with him, just a lot of people who would like to see what he can do.

14. JETSFAN1290

JETSFAN1290 Banned

Heres what I dont understand about the QB issue here. For years this position has been a merry go round. Pennington was the last decent QB in the last 10 years. Up until he got hurt after that was when this team needed to seek out a real deal QB they didnt. So now we sit here and argue and fight over all thats transpired. When will this team finally make the decision to either go with Ratliff all or nothing or Ainge or Clemens. Or draft a QB at 17 and hope hes the next Tom Brady. Favre was only a patch and a media fix what did anyone expect from a 39 yr old QB in the NFL. Lets all get real.

15. GSourJr

GSourJr New Member

Need To See These Players During The Season

A good coach, the mark of a good coach, is one that finds a way to get even his rookies some experience during the season. We SHOULD know more about players like Ratliff, Clemens, Gholston and Clowney because Mangini SHOULD'VE worked them into games.

Belichick finds a way to get his whole roster involved and he finds a way to give Pioli the chance to see what guys can do during the regular season, so he can better evaluate what they have in house and what they need to look for in the next off-season.

Whoever coaches next year, I want to see a coach believes in this philosophy.

16. rbreitkopf

rbreitkopf New Member

Main reasons for hope about Ratliff:

1) His success in the preseason (He outplayed Clemens, pretty much against the same 2d and 3d stringers).

2) Mobility in the pocket
    3) Height-he's about 6'4 or 6'5"; this is important for a pocket passer and if you look at most of the successful QBs, they are 6'3" and over.

4) great arm, evidenced by the long TD passes
    5) resilience-threw 1 pick in preseason, then bounced back with a TD pass on the next drive. He seemed to throw a TD onmost of his drives (yes it was preseason and against 2d+3d stringers)

the biggest apparent weakness he had was the tendency to lock onto his primary receiver, which might be okay against backups, but will have to be fixed if he is to be successful as a starter.

17. JetsLookingforDWare

Um...no. A good coach wins.

This whole blame Mangini shit is why this franchise is bitch made.

Fuck I hate being a Jets fan. By reading this board you'd swear Jets fans were just a group of people who knda liked football, but REALLY liked finding minute shit to complain about. It's like...where do you come up with this shit? You just COMPLETELY made that up, and simply said it as truth...and someone...probably more than someone will believe you.

Holy crap this board can suck sometime. Now everyones a fucking psychoanalyst that's broken down Mangni's gum chewing into him being an emotional slob with no passion to the game. What kind of shit is this? Is that really what this board has come to in 2 weeks? It's fucking retarded. It really is. It's some stupid fucking world where if you say something negative enough, even if you just fucking made it up right then and there, it's perfectly fine cause it's "plausible" in your head...knowing the few details you might know.

18. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

If the last couple of weeks has frustrated you, you are in for a very long off-season man. :lol: These types of posts and all are going to be the rage for a long time coming.

19. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

did the pats know about brady or cassell , who looked bad in preseason, before they got the chance to play in real games?

20. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

now thats the truth. how many "good" teams worked in their 2 back up qbs during the season this year? i have no idea what point he was trying to make other than that he blames mangini for everything.