Gholston on an elite defense

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MyFavoriteMartin5, Jan 9, 2009.

1. MeanGreens08

MeanGreens08 Member

Without a doubt I said this to my girlfriend during the playoff game right after he picked off Ryan. He made a great play for the ball and picked it. I was just thinking him and Revis would have been a dream come true.

Too bad Im a Jets fan though... :smile:

2. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

I've been in wait-and-see mode with Gholston all along. He has until next December with me. I see no reason to judge a rookie on his initial campaign.

3. Firemangini Ed

Firemangini Ed New Member

http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-performers#tp-tab-set-1:tp-grid-container-three-cone-drill

Check out the combine numbers, VG had the fourth best 40 yd dash time for a DE and his number still would have been top 10 for a LB. Then look at the shuttle and 3 cone numbers, anything that involves change of direction and VG drops out of the top 10 for LBs and drops to around 7th for DEs. He can't change direction, what you saw when VG was chasing Cutler is the truth, he is not agile.

ps One of the players the Jets were rumored to be interested in last year was Purdue DE cliff avril. Similar size and weight to VG, he had 5 sacks and 4 forced fumbles for the Lions last year. So playing on a crap defense for a crap team he outperformed VG.

http://www.nfl.com/players/cliffavril/profile?id=AVR296636

#23 Firemangini Ed, Jan 9, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  4. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

VG is a bodybuilder. Mario Williams is an athlete. Gholston looks like he has no motor and absolutely no football instincts. I even saw evidence of this in his last year at OSU. Anyone who watched him closely in last year's Championship Game will agree with me.

5. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

hope all is true and he pans out for us

6. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

i was a huge cliff avril fan too... 3rd round pick he could have been.

He's a purdue guy, most of their prospects do well, because there aren't many that are NFL worthy each year.

7. hazmat

hazmat New Member

Gholston has to lose all the muscle in his upper body. Thats why it looks he's running with a piano on his back. He's just not flued enough with all that weight.

8. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Mario Williams had 35 solo tackles (47 total) and 4.5 sacks in his rookie year. How can you possibly drag him into a discussion about Gholston? In fact why do you keep insisting Gholston deserves to be playing in the NFL? He doesn't.

9. JetsLookingforDWare

You got the next big lottery numbers too?

Maybe Gholston's just bitchmade. Maybe he just needs time. Maybe he just wanted the money. Maybe he won't shit from LT. Maybe he starts doing coke with LT.

But if you have the lottery numbers for real, then I can buy that Gholston will never make it at LB. Seems reasonable.

I don't think Gholston even sucked that bad as the season went on. He actually looked more comfortable as the season wore on, and I'm the kind of geek who records games and watches them over.

I just think he needs a kick in the ass like the rest of the defense. We need a mean motherfucker like...well Suggs would be nice...but draft route I'm thinking Greg Hardy.

#29 JetsLookingforDWare, Jan 9, 2009
  10. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

If we switch to a 4-3 I think he'll be alrite, I don't think OLB is for him...

11. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

He was a disappointment and a HUGE bust.

With the money we are paying him he should have been a starter from day one not beiong placed on inactive.

12. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

To me, this is the most disappointing moment in his season. It's not like he was trying to track down Michael Vick. It's friggin' Jay Cutler. Very sad...

13. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

I judge him on every game I saw him in, especially the games I went to in person where I looked for him on the field. Learning a new position excuses getting burned on coverage. However, what does the "new position" have to do with getting stood up by guards, tackles, tight ends and running backs? What does the "new position" have to do with having absoltuely no rush moves to get past blockers? What does the "new position" have to do with being slow as shit in getting into the back field? What does the "new position" have to do with not being able to shed a block to save your life?

#33 BK_Jetsfan, Jan 9, 2009
  14. JetsLookingforDWare

He's getting paid what the market is for first round picks. Blame the league on that.

I have no idea why his paycheck has anything to do with the actual football shit. We're not paying him. If you feel you are by going to games, PM me.

15. Firemangini Ed

Firemangini Ed New Member

Just wow.

screw flanders.

16. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

Yes we are.

17. JetsLookingforDWare

I mean "GHOSLTON BAD!! VERY BAD!! SO BAD HE MAKE ME MAD!!"

Sorry bout that. Fingers slipped.

18. JetsLookingforDWare

Dude, you could have just read the last sentence. If you want, I'll take some of those burdensome tickets off of you.

19. LockDown24

LockDown24 Active Member

Weeks 4-12 we had an elite defense and he still didnt do shit

20. JETSFAN1290

JETSFAN1290 Banned

What did David Harris do that was so exciting. Or any of the LBs for that matter. Pace was the only decent LB on the roster. Wheres Vilma when you need him?