Gholston on an elite defense

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MyFavoriteMartin5, Jan 9, 2009.

1. MyFavoriteMartin5

MyFavoriteMartin5 New Member

First off, this isn't to completely excuse gholston's rookie season because it was definitely disappointing to say the least. All i'm saying here is that if gholston had been on an elite defense like the ravens or steelers, would he have gone sackless in his rookie season? I say no, because those defenses are schemed well and the coaches can develop players. I think a lot of people are buying into this idea that gholston was a workout warrior too much, and declaring him a bust way too early. Remember MARIO WILLIAMS had a similar to almost exact draft profile as gholston coming out, a guy who has all the measurables, but has a motor that runs hot and cold, and MARIO is a beast. Thoughts?

2. JETSFAN1290

JETSFAN1290 Banned

Exactly ive been saying the same dam thing in other threads mocking Gholston. Great post!

3. YOYOYO

YOYOYO Active Member

Don't buy it at all. Mario Williams had a decent rookie year but because they didnt draft Bush he was labeled a bust. Even in his rookie year he showed flashes of why he could be a great player someday. Vernon has shown us nothing at ALL. It says a lot that he couldn't get playing time over a guy like B. Thomas. He was the wrong pick from the start b/c it wasn't really a need and now it looks even worse. By the way if he didn't play for the Jets how in the world would he play for a GOOD defense?

4. JETSFAN1290

JETSFAN1290 Banned

How much $$$$ did the JETS just fork over to Bryan Thomas and why would they draft a LB in the first place if he wasnt needed. Bryan Thomas was Manginis pet and I thnk it has to do alot with Vilma being traded I dont buy the 3-4 4-3 bullshit.

5. MyFavoriteMartin5

MyFavoriteMartin5 New Member

It's a hypothetical, by the way Mario wasn't learning a new position, and i don't know why Brayn Thomas was playing ahead of him. I would love for Mangini to explain that because quite frankly i think gholston could have done better. Remember Mangini kept playing Ty Law even though he was probably worse than Lowery or Poteat.

6. JETSFAN1290

JETSFAN1290 Banned

Exactly and Ty Law sucks.

7. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie was the pick we should have made. The rookie is blossoming into a star. We could have been set with 2 shutdown CB's for the next 10 years.

8. JETSFAN1290

JETSFAN1290 Banned

Absolutely agree 100% I did want Mayo though.

9. YOYOYO

YOYOYO Active Member

You can say that Gholston was learning a new position but they only time he really played was at DE on 3rd downs to rush the passer. The only time he got close was Jay Cutler and he ran right around him. So while overall he is learning a new position he played at DE and did nothing.

10. YOYOYO

YOYOYO Active Member

EXACTLY!!!! Him or even McKelvin

11. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

We still wouldn't have a pass rush though.

12. JETSFAN1290

JETSFAN1290 Banned

1 time? And you judge the guy on 1 play?

13. al_toon_88

You can't address every need with a single pick. All you can do is improve the team in one area. Are we better off with Gholston's "potential" and zero production on the field?

14. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

Of course not. I just believe a good pass rush should be addressed before the defensive backs. A good pass rush would make David Barrett look like Revis.

15. YOYOYO

YOYOYO Active Member

One play? I said thats the only play he got any pressure. Every other time the tackle handled him with ease. That was the only time he had a chance to sniff the QB. The guy was the wrong pick.

16. al_toon_88

I agree. It's just too bad a legit pass-rushing beast wasn't there; we whiffed big-time taking VG 56.

17. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

if the kid's mental game gets where it needs to be, he'll be fine... or else he will be shit until his contract is up.

18. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

Good points. I'm as disappointed as everyone else who was hoping to see VG make an impact in his rookie year, but I don't think anyone has seen nearly enough of him to call him a bust at this point. I think he still deserves the benefit of the doubt.

19. al_toon_88

But this doesn't explain why he look slow as sh-t running a straight line towards Cutler ??

20. Firemangini Ed

Firemangini Ed New Member

People keep comparing VG to Mario Williams but Mario is a much better athelete. There's a reason Mario went first and VG went sixth, Mario has more natural ability. And Mario was never asked to play a new position, another difference. I think the big problem was that Mangini thought he was Super Coach and could teach a player anything. VG will never make it at LB.