Potential Free Agents

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetFanInPA, Jan 8, 2009.

1. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

The Jets needs that could be filled in free agency are QB, WR, DE, LB, CB, S. Below, I picked out the better free agents that could help that Jets in some way. The defensive back class is intriguing to say the least, but some of these guys will be resigned. We'd need to do some cutting to sign anyone (which we should: Favre, Barrett, Franks, Thomas etc..) Let me know what you think about these guys, who would be a good fit, who I missed and who has already been resigned. Take a look..

POTENTIAL FREE AGENTS (In no order)

QB
    Preview: No standouts here. The Jets could consider a veteran QB if Favre retires (which I pray he does) and they don’t pickup a rookie. These guys would fill the role of a veteran backup (A really veteran backup that is).
    1. Kurt Warner – Arizona – 37: Coming off of a great season in Arizona. Would be a veteran presence at QB if Ratliff and Clemens get a chance to compete…
    2. Kerry Collins – Tennessee – 36: Had an OK season with Tennessee, but after 13 pro seasons, he’s a backup at best anymore.

WR
    Preview: The Jets WRs seemed to have trouble late in the season. Another threat could very beneficial although the young speedy WRs Chansi Stuckey and David Clowney could both be deep threats. The Jets have decent depth, but could use a potential starter or slot WR. If not through the draft, these are some potential additions.
    1. Reggie Williams – Jacksonville – 25: The tall WR the Jets lack at 6-4… An underachiever in Jacksonville with very average production… Potential is there and perhaps could benefit from a change of scenes.
    2. T.J. Houshmandzadeh – Cincinnati – 31: A terrific player with experience, great hands and the ability to make plays. However, he is into his 30s now and is likely on the decline of his career.
    3. Devery Henderson – New Orleans – 27: Caught 32 passes this season and averaged 25 yards per catch. A burner with tremendous speed and a top deep threat… However, his poor hands have limited him.
    4. Shaun McDonald – Detroit- 27: A deep threat with great speed… Had a tremendous season in 2007 and would help the Jets stretch the field if the FO feels that Clowney or Stuckey couldn’t fill the role.
    5. Hank Baskett (RFA) - Philadelphoa - 26: Has great size and great hands, but isn't fast. He would be the tall recieivng threat this team lacks even including the TE position. Not a starter in Philly, but could make a similar impact here. I remember being high on him before the draft and was shocked he didn't get drafted, but he still made it.

DE
    Preview: Shaun Ellis had one of his better seasons and was a Pro Bowl alternate. Kenyon Coleman had a quiet year and often rotated with Mike DeVito and CJ Mosley. A starting quality 3-4 DE would improve the defensive line.
    1. Rob Meier – Jacksonville – 31: Generally a situational player that played behind two great DTs. Has ideal size (6-5 308) for the position and could be a great situational player.
    2. Tommie Harris – Chicago – 25: One of the league’s top 4-3 DTs… He would need to make a position change here. If the team felt he could, he would be a tremendous addition. Probably a long shot as a fit here and likely gets resigned, however.
    3. Kevin Carter – Tampa Bay – 35: Would be ideal fit in the 3-4 at 6-6 308… Is far from his prime and would be 36 by season’s start. A situational guy that had a decent year in Tampa in 08’…
    4. Chris Canty - Dallas - 27: This wouldn't be the first Dallas DE we signed in recent years. He's been solid in Dallas and is of starting quality. At the very least he'd be a great rotational player.

LB
    Preview: A lot of money has been invested here and one outside position is greatly underachieving. Gholston needs to progress extremely fast and Bryan Thomas had a mediocre season and was often invisible. Thomas could be cut due to his high salary and perhaps a situational pass-rusher would be best.
    1. Terrell Suggs (OLB) – Baltimore – 26: Tremendous playmaker that will likely be resigned… If Rex Ryan is the new coach, the Jets would have a nice chance if he hits the market. It would be a costly signing.
    2. Karlos Dansby (OLB/ILB) – Arizona – 27: Has had five very good pro seasons. He played ILB in Arizona and could probably also play OLB. Has great speed and coverage ability and has posted good sacks totals each year. He’d be a tremendous addition here and could an under-the-radar guy.

CB
    Preview: Dwight Lowery regressed as the year went on and ended up as a situational guy. A starter opposite Pro Bowler Darrelle Revis would make a big difference. Lowery and Hank Poteat would play reserve roles which would better suit them. This is a great class for free agent CBs.
    1. Dunta Robinson – Houston – 26: Has missed some time over the past couple seasons, but is young and solid against the run. Would be a huge upgrade at CB and this team wouldn’t need to break the bank for him.
    2. Nmandi Asomugha – Oakland – 27: Can do it all… He might be the most complete CB in the NFL and is one of the league’s shut-down corners. Will he sign the franchise tag and stay with a bad Raiders team? This guy could command record money on the market, which is something the Jets don’t have.
    3. Jabari Greer – Buffalo – 27: Young back that was playing well until an injury ended his season ten games in. Great speed and is an under-the radar guy with great potential. With McKelvin and McGee around, he could hit the market.
    4. Kelvin Hayden – Indianapolis – 25: Great young player who is the latest in the line of great Colts DB draft picks. Nice size and great speed and will be just 26 come September. Indianapolis drafts so well that they may not need to resign this guy, as history has shown.
    5. Bryant McFadden – Pittsburgh – 27: Still young and had an up and down time in Pittsburgh, but started most of the game he played in. Still has plenty of potential and was a member of a terrific defense for a few seasons.

S
    Preview: This is another spot where the Jets couldn’t find consistency. Kerry Rhodes is one starter, but Abram Elam and Eric Smith were very inconsistent and some stability is important. A must from the new Jet safety: He must be able to cover well.
    1. Dawan Landry (RFA) – Baltimore – 26: Was on IR for much of the season. If Rex Ryan is our head coach, the chance he comes to New York increase. Since backup Jim Leonhard was terrific in place of Landry, his chances to leave increase more. A physical SS that had a terrific rookie season and seemed to be a mainstay on the Ravens defense… Depending on what he is tendered, compensation could as a low as a 5th round pick. Still a long shot he gets out of Baltimore however.
    2. Jermaine Phillips – Tampa Bay – 30: Has quietly been a great player in Tampa for years. Might be more of a physical in-the-box type of safety however, but still OK in coverage… Would enter a new defensive scheme in New York… Had a great year in 2008…
    3. Oshiomogho Atogwe – St. Louis – 27: One of the league’s best playmaking safeties along with Ed Reed. Had 13 INTs in the last two seasons, which is the best in the league in that span. A coverage FS and a true playmaker that the Jets could use… He’s a real under the radar player that played on a bad team. St. Louis would be foolish to let him go.
    4. Sean Jones – Cleveland – 27: On the topic of underrated safeties… Compiled 14 INTs over the last three years in addition to being terrific in run support… Great size (6-1 220) and speed and is young. One of the more complete safeties out there and is almost as underrated as Atogwe.
    5. Jarrad Page – Kansas City – 24: And yet another young underrated safety… Page has 10 career picks and made 85 tackles from the FS position this year. He also has terrific size for the position at 6-0 and 225. Like the previous two, this team would be foolish to let him go. He and Bernard Pollard form one the great young safety tandems in the league and is one of the bright spots in Kansas City.
    **6. Gerald Sensabuagh - Jacksonville - 25: Young saftey with terrific measurables had a career year on a mediocre Jacksonville team. Yes, yet again another young underrated safety. Probably not in the same tier as Jones or Atogwe, but would still be a great addition to this team. However, I haven't seen for sure that he is a UFA. I am taking someone's word who mentioned him in this thread. I haven't seen his name on any list, so I'll star his name..

My favorites:
    - Karlos Dansby LB Arizona
    - Kelvin Hayden CB Indianapolis
    - Oshiomogho Atogwe FS St. Louis
    - Sean Jones SS Cleveland

Also: The top internal free agent (RFA) priority: LEON WASHINGTON RB/KR/PLAYMAKER: They better lock this guy up for five or six years before even attempting to sign another free agent. He's the best playmaker on this team without a doubt. At least he's an RFA though... WE CANNOT LET THIS GUY GET AWAY.

What do you think?

#1 JetFanInPA, Jan 8, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
  2. Jets FTW!!

Jets FTW!! Member

For wr fuck the free agency...there is one man we must get at wr and his name is Chad "Ocho Cinco" Johnson. I can tell you he won't be a Bengal next season so get ready for trade fest 09. Lots of teams will want him, but who can afford him. Lets hope the Jets can.

edit: BTW half the guys on the FA are going to get signed

3. JETSFAN1290

JETSFAN1290 Banned

Trade LC for "Ocho Cinco" and draft Kenny Britt WR issues resolved.

4. Jets FTW!!

Jets FTW!! Member

exactly what i was thinking...that's the best thing i've heard all day haha...except it'd have to be LC and something else for Ocho Cinco...but otherwise exactly what I was thinking

5. JETSFAN1290

JETSFAN1290 Banned

Ok throw in Nugent.

6. jetsyankeesfan6

jetsyankeesfan6 New Member

No way...Chad Johnson is extremely overrated. Why would you want him on your team even if he was great?

7. Killeri9590

Killeri9590 Banned

Gamble was signed to an extension already I believe

8. GreatSwamp

GreatSwamp Member

out of that list i like Dansby, Asomugha, Gamble, Landry( If Rex Ryan comes)

Asomugha is unlikely to come here but i would take Gamble in a heartbeat. He is an underated corner.

9. GreatSwamp

GreatSwamp Member

thats too bad

10. rhodesfan16

rhodesfan16 New Member

I like Canty alot even though his sack numbers maybe up based on the amount of elite pass rushers but even then I think he could be really great providing he is not franchised. Also he provides a solid option at End considering that Coleman and Ellis are not fresh from the draft. Other than that Im not really sold on T.J. Also I would prefer that we address the LB need through the draft because in general this class looks really good. I like Asomougha (the raiders guy) for obvious reasons

also about Canty...he is a Bronx boy, Charlotte Latin High School

11. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

WTF??? Dont you know Coles' contract is guaranteed??? If we trade him, we'll be paying his lousy ass $7million hefty bucks regardless. Why not just keep him??? Consider him a freebie since his $7million aint goin anywhere even if released.

12. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Underrated guys don't get big contracts but still play hard.... go get those guys.

13. JetFanInPA

Sure, many of these guys will get resigned, but some of them won't.

Chad Johnson would be a mistake IMO.

And thank you Killeri9590, he was resigned to a 6 year- $53 million contract with a $23 million signing bonus. Yikes!...

14. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Great job on the post mate!!! I like the details.

15. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Devery Henderson, Chris Canty, Dansby, Sean Jones and Jabari Greer would be my choices. They are all very young and won't be outrageous to bring in. They should solidify the team for the next 5, 6 yrs while others develop.

Maybe asking for too many but we should sign two of these if Brett stays or 3 if he leaves while bringing in another veteran FA QB.

Al Davis might take away Devery and sign him to a 5 yr $80 million deal with a $62 million signing bonus...

16. JetFanInPA

Thanks. I hadn't seen a thread like this yet so I decided to make one.

I'm really hoping some of these guys, especially some of the DBs, hit the market because there is some legitimate and underrated talent that could really help this team without getting a ridiculous contract.

17. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

T.J. Houshmandzadeh - would be good for our offense.
    Terrell Suggs - would be a corner stone for Rex to build around
    Tommie Harris - a very good player and we need help on the DL
    Karlos Dansby - we have lots of LBs but he could replace Barton.

18. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

at safety gerald sensabaugh jaguars u.f.a. and their not resigning him.decent cover guy and a sure tackler.he;s the only bright spot in their disappointing season.
    i like canty too and shaun mcdonald is intriguing he might come chep just to get outa detroit.

19. 624

624 Banned

id really like to take a look at reggie wiliams....i dont think hed be that expensive yet he has lots of talent...and is a big target we need

20. inSANITy

inSANITy Banned

you forgot alot of other good lbs that are fas